1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Dremel to go with? Cordless?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joosh, 21 Nov 2008.

1. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I've decided to purchase a dremel as they can do just soo much, but I am unsure whether to go cordless or not. Obviously no wires is always good and Lithium Ion batteries are great, the RPMs aren't much lower than the corded versions either.

So my question to you is, do I purchase a corded or cordless and what are the pros and cons of both. Another question would be is the cordless dremel compatible with all the accessories (routing press, drill press etc) that the corded dremels are.

Thanks in advance,

Joosh

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Get the corded. The extra oomph will come in handy, and no questioning if they're compatible.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I would just get the corded one and get a flex shaft with it.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If the price difference isn't much, I'd go with cordless. Otherwise I'd get a corded one with a flexi-shaft. :)

5. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Well for the cordless one I'm looking at AU$149.00 where the corded one would be AU$134.95, the difference in RPM is 35000 for the cordless and 37000 for the corded (I believe from last time I spoke to the hardware guy at bunnings).

So now I am in a predicament with 2 for the corded and 1 for the cordless (which I am inclined to prefer) but oh well, decisions decisions...

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

all of my power tools are cordless. There is nothing I hate more than trying to find a plug, untangle the cord, etc etc.
    yes it can be a pain to want to use a tool and the battery is dead. but I keep them charged when i am not using them.

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

as long as you're going to be using it in a workshop, there is no reason to get a cordless. batteries die and don't give as much power as a wall plug.

the only excuse for getting a cordless is if you are going to be using it outside or on large construction projects, and don't want a 200ft extension cord getting in everybody's way. in your shop or garage, having a cord or not shouldn't really make any difference.

and as the above posters said, make sure you pick up a flex-shaft.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I hate cordless power tools except for random odd-jobs. The wires don't get in the way nearly as often as the battery is too drained to be useful. Doubly so for a dremel where you might be going for hours at a time on a good modding weekend.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I love my cordless dremel, two batteries for long use and the fact you can just pick it up and turn it on if you need a quick job means it gets used much more than my older corded dremel-alike.

10. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

As the battery ages it will not hold a charge for as long as it did new. this means you have to replace it. Li-ion batteries tend to run $50+ USD. That means future costs will = replacement cost. Corded never requires a battery replacement = no future costs.

My preference is the corded with a flex shaft, you can do anything you need with it, and it always delivers full power. Even with a cordless version you will want the flex shaft, the thinner housing gets into paces the full size tool just cant. With the flex shaft connected, you negate any advantage a cordless version may have provided.

Just my $.02 worth, hope it helps.

11. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

The cordless dremels dont have much torque when they are on the low speeds, compared to the corded once, plus I think untangling a cord is less of a hassle then waiting for a battery.

12. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

I ended up purchasing the corded dremel 300/50 (50 accessory pack), lots of fun actually, I'm just wondering how useful the cutting tools are and the drill attachments, any experiences and opinons?

Also being a dremel noob, I've noticed not everything is labelled and (for me anyway) it's hard to tell what a few of the attachments are for xD. So is there a compiled graphic list that would help me out or something?

Cheers guys,

Joosh

13. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

Nice choice. I used the a diamond coated cutting disk to trim some bathroom tile that had to be replaced last week. You may never need all of the bits and bobs for you PC mods, but there a re a ton of household projects you will find it is great for too. The spiral cutting bit (looks like a drill bit but is made for cutting on the side) is great for cutting holes in softish materials. (wood, drywall, etc)

get yourself som escrap material and go play. you'll be amazed at the fun you will have. :)