1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU what for christmas present?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morris8809, 12 Nov 2008.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Looking to get a new cpu for christmas this year as theres nothing else i can think of that i want/ need. At the moment im running a e6300 1.86ghz overclocked to 2.6ghz. Im thinking about getting a e8400 to replace it with. Should i go this route, or is there a better upgrade path? Thanks (specs in the sig)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2008
  2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The biggest question to ask yourself is, "Why do I want to upgrade?" For instance, if you're finding gaming performance to be a bit weak, but your CPU usage isn't pegged at 100% during the game, then the limitation is probably in your video card, and you could reasonably upgrade that. Along the same lines, if your CPU usage is pegged, a new processor could be just what you're looking for.

On the other hand, if you're finding game performance to be acceptable, but want a more responsive computer overall, you could do worse than a new Western Digital Velociraptor. Alternately, you could grab yourself a bigger monitor, or another similar display to run a dual setup. Neither of these upgrades does much for gaming, but can make general use of the computer much more pleasant. If your main computer is fine as it stands, you might look at something like an EEE PC, which is unquestionably cool (if a bit more expensive than the processor you were looking at). Of course, high-end headphones sound better than most speakers costing ten times as much, and work very well with surround effects in games.

Of course, you could get away from computers altogether - do you have any other hobbies? I mean, beyond computers, I have a lot of fun with radio-controlled cars and things.

cpemma and Guest-16 like this.
  3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1
    depending on your needs go E8400 or Q6600.

cpemma likes this.
  4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if you're looking to buy yourself a christmas present, you probably won't get much joy out of a processor unless your idea of a fun time is to sit around watching benchmarks run. get yourself something fun, that you can see or touch. i'm getting more enjoyment out of typing on the new keyboard i bought yesterday for $50 than i did out of the DDR3 i bought this summer for $200. and a e6300 is still a pretty capable cpu for most tasks - i really doubt it's holding you back in any games.

edit: just read crazybob's post - go buy an eee. end of discussion. you don't think you need one, but you do. trust me.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Your performance in games is definitely limited by your 8800GT.

6. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

well thanks for the info and your thoughts. right now i do some gaming which is not really why im wanting to upgrade. Overall the pc is running fast but i find myself maxing the processor out most of the time. I have a laptop (dell inspiron 6000) that yes is a old laptop but im running vista on with 2gigs of ram. I do fly model airplanes as a hobby but at the moment there really isnt anything i need for any of my planes.

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if you're really set on getting a new proc, i'd say that the q6600 is still the best choice for upgrade especially in your situation (multitasking and desktop use).

8. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

if you all have any ideas of anything else that i may be interested in please feel free to post it, im open to all ideas. Atm i just cant think of anything that i really want. Just a few ideas ideas maybe.
    New desk
    New case
    New processor
    New Monitor
    New Tv
    New Video card
    New keyboard

I current have a Razor copperhead mouse that i love, a 13 dollar microsoft keyboard that works good, nothing fancy. My current case is a 1998 case that i have modded into this
    [​IMG]

I have a 20" 206bw samsung monitor. Crappy tv and crappy desk.

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i have a biiiiiig glass desk that has made my computer mich easier and nicer to use

otherwise what about one of those spangly new intel SSD's? im pretty sure you'd see an improvement in performance from one of those with your OS and games installed

10. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

oooo neon

11. slap-o-mite

slap-o-mite What's a Dremel?

CPU >>>make that thing Fly >>>E8600 or a Q9650 & clock the hellva out of it ! IMO

12. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Why pay for an E8600 when an E8400 is way cheaper and can be overclocked to the same level as the more expensive one? Same with the Q9650.

13. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

actually im starting to debate just building a second pc. Something along the lines of q6600 or e8400, 8gb ddr2, gtx 260, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358 for the mobo. corsair hx620, 640gb hard drive. I would probably give my old pc to my parents and let them get a couple different pieces of hardware for the new build for me. Something like the hard drive, mobo, video card and ill buy the cpu, ram and psu.