1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL What hardware golden oldies are you still using?

Discussion in 'General' started by aLtikal, 19 May 2018.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A 1996 Acorn RiscPC with StrongARM CPU (201MHz at a time when the fastest from Intel was a 100MHz 586)

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

The second HDD that I use for messing around with Linux on a VM has a manufacturing date of Feb 2005 (I think it does anyway - it's quite difficult to read without taking the drive out).

It's an 80gb Hitachi Deskstar - it's old, noisy and probably runs quite hot. It'll get replaced when I do the next upgrade with a shiny SSD.

Other 'vintage' piece of hardware in my rig is an old Tagen 650 watt PSU - no date stamps included, but I'm willing to bet it's of a similar age to the previously mentioned HDD. It's 10 years old at a very minimum, given that I purchased it second-hand, whilst I was in college. Probably should have replaced it years ago as a precautionary measure.

Trying to delay the next major rebuild until CPU architecture changes mean that Spectre / Meltdown isn't an issue, however I suspect that might be a lost cause...

3. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

After dabbling with PC's in the late '80's, I was abstinent for a while and then restarted again in '98.
    I still own both first machines.

• A 1986 Commodore PC1, a 8088 based system with Hercules monochrome EGA compatible graphics….no harddrive. Was friggin expensive back then which is why it was never thrown away. Last booted it about a decade ago :grin:
    • A 1998 Celeron errrr 266Mhz something system. Discovered this in my garage last week :rollingeyes:. Standing next to a fully silenced ATX-big tower thats housed mice for at least a decade.
    Also I found the watercooler i got back in the early 2000's when I thought it would be good to have watercooling. Never got round to building a watercooled PC. :grin:

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I just remembered what I still have in a drawer in the living room: the HDD the generous and glorious Mr RinSewand filled for me with 405 GB of un-edited raw Nine Inch Nails live footage which was released as a series of torrents back in January 2009. Sounds insane? Read about it here on Bit-Tech's own forum.

Byron C likes this.