1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards What hardware have you broken (make me feel better)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 30 Aug 2011.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

I slipped with a screwdriver and killed a 3850 a while ago :( It is sitting under my bed, every time I get out computer stuff, I see it and it reminds me to be careful.

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I broke a Logitech Formula Force GP wheel when i accidently inserted the wrong power cable.

Punched in frustration 2 or 3 monitors and a Gameboy beyond repair. Same goes for a few C64 joysticks.

I've probably done more but can't remember.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2011
  3. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

PC wise I may have broken a PSU. Installed it then noticed the fan was cracked and not spinning but it may have come like that, I didn't check.

Also had a close call when installing my 560Ti (my most expensive purchase ever) I was being super careful but still dropped it, but super ninja reflexes caught it before it fell the 10 inches to the floor:D.

Things that should have broke are PS1 and PS2 controllers. When I was a kid I used to have mega rage moments where I would through them at walls as hard as I could but they never broke, chipped the wall though:hehe:.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I broke a stock amd heatsink by trying to stop the fan spinning using a drum quick against the centre, it slipped and the stick went inside amd promptly snapped a fan blade causing it to spin uneven making the noise of a lawn mower. Fan was spinning at 3300 rpm.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Given I'm a ham fisted clumsy idiot... I can say that for some unknown reason I've never broken anything...

The only thing close was the holding bracket that slots under the plasted clip on a PCIE slot, I snapped it off when I was removing a 240 but it still worked perfectly (Well, as perfectly as a Palitt 240 works) just wasn't clipped in.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Popped my monitor into the back seat of my car and proceeded to drive off to a LAN. Pulled the monitor out upon arrival to find that it had slid around a corner and the seat belt buckle underneath left a gash in the screen. Thankfully didn't go deep enough to damage anything but certainly looks ugly.

Also "lost" a couple keyboards to messes. They were both probably salvagable, but for $10 office boards it wasn't worth it. One was a big plop of strawberry icecream right on the WASD cluster, even a rinse in the dishwasher wasn't enough. The other was a can of Pepsi dropped around the Enter key while playing CS:S... since it didn't get on the keys I was using I let it sit until after the round was over, turns out it seeped under all of the other keys and became a sticky mess.

7. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

was attempting to repair an amd sempron system a few years back for someone i know, completely forgetting that i had plug the cord into the psu and turned the psu on, i proceded to pull the hsf of the the cpu only for it to get a bit stuck and like a **** i decided to pull harder and ended up ripping the cpu out of the closed socket :duh:, needless to say, the cpu and mobo never worked again.

8. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Not broke anything pc wise, plenty of quickshot joysticks on my Commodore 64!

Sent from Bittech Android app

9. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

a pc i had (2 before this 1) i came home from work after a ver hard and stressfull day the pc started playing up on me and after about 1 minutes of it being stupid i picked up the entire tower and launched it 7 meters across my front room.

needless to say that my wife (fiance at the time) was not happy. regards to damage to componants:-

broke cpu fan off cpu cooler
    put a big crack in mobo - not all way through but might as well of been
    hdd was destroyed
    dvd drive was bent
    case had dents all over and never shut again
    psu had scratches ()deep) but did work
    broke 4 pins off the cpu

so all in all it was well and truly fubar

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

while taking off a sidepanel i somehow dropped it on my soundcard (creative x-fi extreme music), the pci-e slot died but the soundcard was still "working"(it could only output to the right channel )

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Overclocked about three years ago my old athlon 1ghz cpu to a scotching 1.3ghz to get a bit more comfortable computing out of it at the end of my bed. Ended up having to ramp it down to the 800mhz to keep stable, losing any advantage I had. It had done it's time though so not too much lost.

I threaded my PS3 screws when it came out and had to hammer flat heads into it to twist them out. Only broke the screw thank god. But I was doing it in front of customers at work... and it was £425 new the day before.

12. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I've only ever broken anything through stupidity, but I used to have a bit of a temper too.
    Once I bought another 8Mb EDO RAM stick for my Pentium 100. I managed to bend the pins on the SIMM slot on the motherboard, hence it wouldn't work. It's punishment was swift - thrown into the kitchen sink, squirted with Zippo lighted fluid, and ignited.

It never broke another motherboard...

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I accidentally drilled a hole right through a brand new Black Ice triple 120 radiator :(

14. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I don't know if this counts but I once dropped my iPod in cereal...

15. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Blew up a Pentium 66 the day after release fitting it to a customers machine :(

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I haven't broken anything yet but when I first put this computer together I didn't seat the CPU right so it didn't POST, it took forever for me to figure it out but all is good now

17. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Erm...

1) PNY 6600GT - First attempt at overclocking and let's face it, it didn't go well. Decided to move the Rivatuner sliders all the way to the end to see what difference it would make, and well put simply, it exploded.

2) Tagan 550w PSU - Decided to spark everytime a game was played, until it eventually gave up altogether

3) Hiper 650w PSU - Lost power everytime I played Crysis -.-

4) Some old Gigabyte P4 mobo - BSOD'd constantly, 2x broken PCI slots and 2x broken RAM slots

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I stuffed all the unused cables of my PSU into an out of the way part of my case, turned on the pc and "sniff sniff", one of the molex connectors melted, thankfully that was all.

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This has just made my sides ache!!!! You've made my day mate. Epic funny. :clap:

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have destroyed lots of stuff, but I have been working on hundreds, if not thousands of computers so statistically I'm good. ;)

Most of the things I have destroyed were intentional, though. The most spectacular I think was throwing a laser printer and a desktop into a cardboard compressor (Basically a 28tonne hydraulic ram). The sound it made was incredible, and the printer and computer were about 5cm tall afterwards. :)

We also made a pocket bike course using LCD monitors as corner markers. Not all of those survived...

I degaussed a computer while it was running. That was pretty boring. Just froze, and had a dead disc after a reboot.

Dropping a laptop from about 6 meters just to see if it could take it. It couldn't...

A few years i (unintentionally) hot swapped a graphics card. The old card died (it was defective anyway). The new one worked just fine (after a reboot, of course). :)