1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

killed a athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer, thats about it

2. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

I've broked 1 cd-drive and two keyboards.
    Man, theres one problem with wireless keyboards. When they drop, there wont be the string, that will "catch" it. :D

3. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

ooo, keyboards count lol, far to many cheap ones, spilt 7up on my logitech wireless one twice and had to buy a replacment but first time i fixed it.

I have got through so many :| i tend not to drink next to my computer any more after the many accidents involving spilling water inside the keyboard

4. Xaser03

Xaser03 What's a Dremel?

i have broke

5 = Cases All got broken in the Messy Work Garage because theres no room to mod in there and dad will not let me take Dermel Outside of the Garage and you can't walk anywhere without tripping over a piece of a Car lol.

2= 200Gb Hard Drives Droped 1 and it stoped working and other was over heatered or something cus it does not work and got like burnt Marks on it some oh lol not sure how had a water block on it too.

1= Maze 4 CPU Water Block tryed drilling a hole for a LED in the drill hole but went to far and hit the water tracks.

2= Mother Boards, one i slamed cus it stopped working. the other i dropped the Vacum hose on it.

2= CPU Fans, One when i tossed the Mother Board. the other when i was Vacuming the Fan area i left the Vacum on it to long and burned out the barrings

3= CPU s, a p4 3.2, p4 3.6, AMD 64 FX-55. ok the P4 3.2 it not broken really but it went though hell when i tossed the mother board and the CPU fan broke on it its still works tho hehe. P4 3.6 overclocked to high it burnt out.
    Amd 64 FX-55 Dropped on a Case and it bent the Pins, i was trying changing Mother Boards.

2= Power Supplys, they got messed up by a Power Surge.

i Have not broke a Video Card, Sound Card, Cd-Rom, DVD Rom, DVD Burner, Cd-Rom Burner, Sis Water Block, Hard Drive Water Block, GPU Water Block,

Lost ALOT of money on this crap

5. Neo4

Neo4 What's a Dremel?

beside my waterpump i've never broken anything

6. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

Not just any 64 bit processor it was an fx-55 thats like 800-900$(haha that processor costs more then my whole comp :wallbash: )

7. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

Broken: 2 laptop hardiscs, amazing how easy it is to smash up a laptop by dropping it, or running thogh a door with the laptop in a backpack and slamming it into the wall as you turn around :)

Been pretty lucky, everything else I've pretty much ment to destroy, though in the process of taking apart a hardic, I've managed to put my finger though the platters, lucky it was one of the forementioned broken laptop hardiscs.

8. noddyt

noddyt What's a Dremel?

Nearly lost:

Monitor refused to power up. Replaced internal fuse.

Geforce 4 Ti4200 kept on shutting off. When I finally checked :rolleyes: found the fan had come apart and jammed. Got a replacement fan, and it only shuts off sometimes now :D

Floppy drive. Plugged ribbon cable in wrong way. Quietly, without telling anyone, changed it round, powered up, and prayed.

Gigabyte GA-K8NS: Updated the BIOS, seems to run ok, but gives a very dodgy report on post(two sticks of ram?!? Opens case, counts ... one ... two ... three :eyebrow: ). Passes memtest and sandra though, and windows finds it as well.

Lost:

40x CD-ROM drive and 40x CDRW Drive(Started taking ages reading CD's)
    42x CDRW drive. Noticed one day the front of the drive, drive tray, and case below drive had a thin film of oil on it.
    DVD-ROM drive. Made a horrid grinding noise with a DVD. Had visions of shrapnel flying everywhere any second. It did scratch the DVD but right around the edge, on the data surface. Guess I should take it out and replace it :D

Generic 250w PSU for Athlon 64 3200+. Would take multiple attempts to power up. Guess everyones right about not using them.

Destroyed:

Floppy drive(The same one as above :hehe: ) same ribbon cable round the wrong way :blush: , but when I powered it on I had a floppy disk in the drive. It made a lovely crunching noise with the drive heads(I'm guessing, unless anyone knows better what happened).

Suprisingly, I think thats the only thing I have broken through my own actions, after 7 years of upgrading and building 3 PC's.

9. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

I had a p3 system thats was getting annoying, so, i poured water into the case when it was on. Even though i took care that water filled the PCI slots and swamped the motherboard, sadly nothing exploded :grr:

10. Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary What's a Dremel?

Hehe. Got up one mornin, turned on the pc and poof, thing just fried itself. Opened it up leter and found there was faulty wiring, damn windows keeps scruing me. :duh:

11. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

How does windows screw up your wiring? :D

12. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

With a large hammer, it was an old brick of a laptop with a pentium mobile 90MHz :rock:

13. kahuna

kahuna What's a Dremel?

HD fire

I was set a HD on fire by trying to plug the power cable in while the comp was switched on i missed obviously and the next thing i know there are white flames under the hd and my hand is almost on fire, HAPPY DAYS, on the bright side i did get a nice light show and after a little blowing the fire was out, woohoo unfortunatly the supplier would not give me a refund for my burn componant. You can but try.. still its taught me one thing,

DONT try to plug anything up with your comp power switched on ,,, DOH

14. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Just killed a 160GB Maxtor drive. Accidentally bumped the case and Windows immediately gave an error report about some file being corrupted.

Oh well, accidents happen and drive goes for a warranty replacement because it makes a strange ticking sound too.

15. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Killed DFI lanparty fiting new heat-sink slipped with screwdriver and took out some resistors :duh: had to wait 2 weeks for a new one but at least it was FREE :D
    also killed g4 4600ti after fallinf asleep :yawn: late one night playing UT2004 having a few tin`s knocked one half empty over my comp :eeek: , i was massively relived when i found that only the GFX card was gone ho and one my four 80mm cooler master case fan . that was close and taught me to put my tin`s at the other side of the desk :sigh:

Last edited: 22 Apr 2005
  16. Cactus

Cactus What's a Dremel?

well... i once managed to make an nf7-s go up in flames, literally. grey smoke filled my room!

my clothes/bedroom stunk of burning PCB for about a month :rolleyes:

we've had 3 maxtor SATA drives die, within 1 week. then one of the replacments they sent me was dud too!

swapping a graphics card without unplugging the PC made it "jumpstart" luckily nothing fried.

NONE of my keyboard have a working spacebar.

i had a rollerball mouse on my server, but was missing one of the bearings to steady the ball, so it was VERY unpredicable. when i found a replacment i smashed the old one out of pure revenge.

i had a hard drive start going "wrrrrk cachink cachink cachink.... wrrrrkk" over and over again, gave the hard drive rack a sharp jab with a baseball bat (as the drive was dieing anyway) and it started to work normally... strange...

i belive thats everything.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Me and a friend of mine played golf with some old mobos. Damn those things are hard to break.

All these topics are making me scared to build my new system I just spent 300 dollars on. :worried:

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Some time ago, an A8N-SLI Deluxe. :wallbash:
    My friend killed a 2500+... no idea how (I don't think it was chipped). We then proceded to beat the bejesus out of it, and decided it would take a pretty hard slip with a heatsink to crack a core (we couldn't DRILL through the silicon, only smash it with a hammer).

I knocked my digicam off my table with the CF door open. It got jammed but I managed to fix it after a while :thumb: I also hotswapped out an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum by tripping over my headphone wire when it was in an open-air system. Still lived too, although I've never had a harder lockup on a system.

Broke one of the legs off my keyboard by either knocking it off a table or smashing the hell out of it when the comp was being an ass (most likely the latter, was on a Dell at the time).

Several floppies... at least two by trying to add in a window (don't ask why). Good riddance though, floppies suck.

19. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

My mishaps.

I've had a lighning bolt hit my external 14.4kbps modem while I was on-line (that was a $250 modem at the time). That was crazy, as I actually saw the lighting (it may have hit the phoneline, but I definately saw the lighting bolt). That made a really loud pop and a lot of sparks and smoke.

I've connected an old 486 cpu backwards once, that also produced a lot of smoke (good thing it was a company PC so we just wrote it off :lol:

More recently, I decided to do some cable management on my computer while I was drunk (hey, drunk people do drunk things). Ended up frying my ps/2 keyboard port somehow. I just went out and bough a PS2 to USB adapter, but I still can't figure out how the port died, when all the wires I was messing with were on the OPPOSITE side of the motherboard.

I am about to get into case modding (just waiting for my Dremel :D ), so expect a lot more weird stories soon...

20. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

well ive killed many things... i had the cover off of my shuttle sff and i put a can of coke on the dvd drive and my friends starts swinging his mouse around at hits it into my computer....BOOM lol a huge spark all dead...so i take my wireless keyboard and whiped it at him i miss and it hit the wall and stuck there..

at a diff lan we were modding so i made a 120mm blow hole in the top of my case but i didnt have a fan or grill so i thought i would jsut wait till i get home and use the ones at home..so about a hour later my friends comes down with drinks and decides to put them on top of my case 3 fall in the hole and take out everything

at a diff lan there were about 10 of us and it was 5 on one side and 5 on the other i needed to use the fone so i do and i place it infront of my friends in front of me i couldnt see but i placed it in his glass of water na dhe didnt notice it untill a hour later untill someon asked for it

killed at home
    2400+
    p4 1.5 ghz
    p4 2.2 ghz
    3 hard drives
    keyboard...was playing a cal-m match and got killed so i smashed on it and it broke in half well cracked but never woeked again
    spraypainted mobo ram and viedo card....first try sendond one worked lol
    a set of cfls lol we pluged em right into the wall...they got realy bright then poof
    2 mobs due to sealthing
    a 2100 oced to 2.3ghz with out a hsf lol

well thats all