1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

:D Smash alot of hardware today. I was testing old electronic so it could be sold again. But everything that didn't work I got to smash up :rock: .
    Highlight of the day: the biggest crt I ever seen, and o joy it didn't work. We needed 2 men to lift it. It was the biggest bang I ever heard from trashing a crt :D

Plus I now have a Commodore 64 C with tape recorder :hip:

2. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I had a bios go bad on a HTPC. I went and got a bios update and managed to get the thing to think the processor temps were C and the mobo was sending the temps in F so the comp thought it was way way too hot. Then couldn't keep the machine cool enough to update with the bios without shutting down. It shut down during the bios update and fried the bios chip. had to send the whole thing back in.

3. $loth

$loth What's a Dremel?

None! :D

4. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

Famous last words :p

5. SouthernBelle

SouthernBelle What's a Dremel?

Well, apparently, I'm the type that can touch a laptop and it can go to pieces...but only if it's a Dell. My cheapie Toshiba laptop is doing just fine, thankyouverymuch!

Am I the only one who thinks that Dell is the Devil? :p

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

dell is evil!!!!

never ever play with moving fans when ur board i sat there stopping the fan with my finger coz i was board and i hear beep beep, followed by the smell of f**ked CPU. :duh: good job it was only a 2500+ at the time!

7. Anobis

Anobis What's a Dremel?

lol good thing it dident cut in your finger :D
    Ive seen it hapen to a friend. I sed umm... that aint a good idee.
    and what did he do.... wel he stuk his finger in his nice thermaltake cpu cooler lol.
    damn those things can chop off fingertops real easy :hehe: blood every ware :hehe:

wel the only thing i have broken to this point. is a old crt monitor.
    i took the crt home. but i fel over a wire that my naiber had spon 4 his nieuw wall. so the thing feld in his pit with lots of cement. i tried to get it out. but the cement had a real tight grip. so i left it. late that night naber came bay. askt if i seen wat hapend to his cement. so i like real seprised *wink wink* came out side and took a look. the cement was nice hard and part of the monitor was above the cement :hehe: if ever the new nabers brake down that wall and that cement blok. thay wil be seprised. what thay wil find :p

8. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Second week in my first job in IT (around 10 years ago now....) I saw a red switch on the back of a PC which said 220. (I am in the UK).

So I wondered what it would say if I switched it the other way. (I'm not sure now why it didn't occur to me to switch of the PC first....)

Anyway, to cut a short story even shorter, it said bang. :duh:

In fact it said bang very loudly and very suddenly, with a kind of blackish smoke and a slight acrid burning smell.

When someone came in to see what had happened, I was stood at the other side of the room and claimed that I was no where near it when it happened... I believe we RMA'd it as a faulty PSU.

Well I feel better now for getting that off my chest. :blush:

9. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I sucessfully destroyed the inbuilt sound on a gigabyte K8NF-9 motherboard...I'm not totally sure how, i used to leave it on playing music overnight, and one day I woke up to find there was no sound...speakers are fine, jut the sound chip...

Also destroyed a 386 back in the day...it wouldn't boot so one day I booted it, and blam...corrupted harddrive..oh well was only a type 37 (for those who know what that means)...

Altough...I do remember a computer I used to have...a P90...to turn it on...you kick it...to turn it off....kick it again...if windows locks up...kick it....and it works...

was a very weird computer...

10. H0w1ingM@dMurd0ck

H0w1ingM@dMurd0ck What's a Dremel?

LOL@that. Does anyone still actually use floppies anymore? Kill some more thats what I say!

I broke my last graphics card fitting an Artic Cooler 5NV. The trouble with 99% pure silver heatsink paste is that if you use too much and it gets into the pins of the RAM baaaad things are going to happen :wallbash:
    One Geforce 6800 down the drain. Replaced it with the GT 6800 kerching

Still the GPU makes a good keyring lol

OC'd a Geforce 440 MX to death once

Broke a PS1 5.4" LCD by hooking it up to the 7v line from PSU instead of through the car lighter adapter then throught the 12v from the PSU. That shouldnt have happened I cant work out why it fried.

A couple of weeks ago a 5" LCD TV kind of broke when the ribbon cable from the LCD to the board broke. Expensive :sigh:

Last edited: 10 Jul 2006
  11. Mr. Hugi

Mr. Hugi What's a Dremel?

That also happend on my DFI lanparty nf4 Sli-DR! very wierd... i left the room with music playing and 10 min later, no music! still dont know whats wrong.... :confused:

12. CursedSoul

CursedSoul What's a Dremel?

let's see:

.XfX6800le AGP - Only a drop of water :/
    .Ati rage 3D IIC - At least I saw what was droping water xD
    .KeyBoard - Quake is a very nervous game :D
    .512USb pendrive - I was pushing my case with the pen on it and there was some furniture on the way :/
    .10gb seagate HDD - Molex shortcircuit (but that blue flames were awsome :D)
    .Yamaha 2.1 soundsystem - wires on my way...1m fall t'ill crash on the floor in peaces, damn Newton! =P
    .Case - I was drunk and I dont know how i get with the case under my feet XD

13. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Let's see...

I gave myself a heart-attack when I replaced my stock AMD64 cooler with a Zalman CNPS7700AlCu, I was wrestling the stock cooler off and brought the chip (an AMD64 2800+) with it and bent about 20 pins, that was scary as I was pretty much broke at the time, managed to fix that though.

Wrecked at least 2 P90 computers I got for free off my uncle, just mucking around can kill a pc quick-like. :lol:

14. xpc

xpc What's a Dremel?

asus p4b266-c motherboard = trying to clean with cloth then i pour some water (KABOOM!!) LOL!
    Gecube 9550 = (change its Fan to Jetart but when I try to install it all fuse wreck)
    Pentium4 1.8ghz Proc = when I clean the asus p4b266-c this proc fall on the table where I place. (I think that day was a really S*CK!) :D
    Seagate 40gb = modding its case but i forgot to kept the Harddrive while I mod the case)

15. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

im not gonna list everything that ive ever broken but one thing thats quite fun is getting lots and lots of 9v batteries and connecting one fan up to shed loads of em, see how fast it can go without shattering its bearrings, lol

16. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

ooops, double, sorry, admin or mod please delete this post

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Urm my IcyBox fried 2 200GB WD Caviars. (switchd to seagate and no more problems)

Fried 2 sound processors on my Hi-Fi (main sound and sub) replaces the main sound chip but couldn't find a sub one anywhere, so hacked up the sub to get the analogue db meter, gonna use it in my upcoming case mod.

Oh yeh the hi-fi fried because i tried hooking up 2x250W floor spanding speakers to the usual 2x15W terminals and 2x50W subs to the usual 20W sub terminal.

Edit. When i was small my dad hooked up a radio controlled car to a car battery using long wires, that was a good 5mins of fun, went like a bullet.

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Broke a few things in the past week....

First I wrecked a perfectly working S462 motherboard by having the screwdriver slip to create some irreparable damage, this then I think caused the prcoessor (1 GHz Athlon) to somehow fry. Trying to figure out if the mobo really was dead, I put in a working Duron processor into the mobo and this then fried so I killed two processors and a motherboard... I figure that the motherboard the Duron was originally in still works...

Needless to say I'm not very happy with myself, the Athlon was suppose to be a replcament for my friend's crappy 1GHz celeron. :(

19. TMM

TMM Modder

Thats the worst thing. I ripped out my Opteron with my XP-120 and bent two rows of pins :duh: All fixed up now though

More recently, i killed my MSI K8N Neo2, before reviving it again (thanks for the new bios, MSI!) :D

20. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

fried a 1900xt/xtx when I flashed it/pelt cooled it/overvolted it/overclocked it.

I'll never buy ATI again. They're pieces of ****. Plus Catalyst sucks bawls