1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

A 3.5" floppy drive, I was playing with the stepper motor, and burned it out, (had it open because I increased the tension on the spring so it would throw the disk clear out of my case)

I've dissassembled a few fans (with some pliers, and a knife), and downright trashed some old comps.

Not much else that I can remember

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

just killed a network card... or... it was actually the lightning that killed it... :waah: :wallbash:

3. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Killed one Superflower 420w (3fans) psu. :waah:

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

hmmm..

P66
    Fujitsu Full Height 1G SCSI HD
    Numerous sticks of Ram
    P133
    PII266
    PII400
    PIII550SLOT
    PIII650SLOT
    MSI PIII mobo
    Creative Soundblaster ISA
    7 3Com 10/100 905B's
    Countless modems
    PIII866
    PIII1.1G
    XEON 2.4Ghz :waah:
    AthlonXP 1500+
    AthlonXP 2000+
    AthlonXP 2400+
    16 Cases
    5 20GB WD200 series HD's
    9 CDRom Drives
    4 CDR/RW drives
    5 Gigabyte boards
    3 Asus boards
    14 Graphics cards (from cirrus to GEforce FX5200)
    etc. etc. Etc.

(BTW, Only a few of these were really mine, the others were mostly service calls where there was already something wrong... Some were stupid mistakes, some were legitimate failures... All were in my hands at the time of destruction...but I touch around 40 PC's a day, so the ratio isn't bad...)

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

May I ask how you can actually kill a case? (Assuming they weren't dropped out of an aircraft on transit :))

6. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

yea lol 16 cases!?!?!

7. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yeah.. 16 cases is a LOT...
    I stood on top of three different ones to crush em :)
    Now they be all deformed:lol:

8. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

i once cut a case in half by accident-- i had the school's plasma cutting gun and 'slippped' and cut the case in half--- that one is definately dead... it is totally beyond repair cos the edges are melted.... apart from that my list of broken hardware is v. small, im generally careful lol although it does include an £800 laptop screen erk

9. CiscoGoddess

CiscoGoddess What's a Dremel?

fried hardware

lets see....2 mobos....trying to install a new DIMM into a really insanly tight slot and pushed probably too hard, broke off one of the clips and a capacitor....the other one I dropped....many peices :wallbash:

got an 1800+ at home that only will boot if I hold the heatsink down....don't ask me what I did to it.....

killed many many keyboards and mice...at one point radioshack was trying to find a way out of the extended warrenty they sold us on a 6 dollar mouse, that probably ended up costing them 50-60 dollars in replacements.

Cat 5 are not safe from me....it's a good thing I can wire my own or that would have cost me some money....

I've witnessed a lot of interesting breakages, but not many of them have been mine

not computer equipment, but I got the nice smell of burning plastic out of a cordless phone a month ago...don't try to hook up electrical equipment after a long day of work and a longer night of moving your apartment.:sigh:

10. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I destroyed 9 with a shotgun, a revolver(45) and a 30-06... (at our anual IS department Skeet Shoot) and the other 7 with various failed mod/ventilation attempts, Various drops and dents, etc. etc. etc. (I have about 10 of these cases at home right now.)

11. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

Pictures would be great!:rock:

12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

just a gainward geforce 4 ti4200, within a few hours. overclocked it too much, and blew up the ram apparently...

though i went through about 10 pc joysticks and gamepads when i was younger, within a month or two. my parents decided to give up on buying anymore...

13. DeLorean5000

10!?!?:eeek: :eyebrow: :jawdrop:

How!?!

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

i think it was due to either playing very violent games, so you would be getting angry, and so rip the joystick out of it's base. or scary games, in that you would get a shock, and also rip it out of it's base.

the joysticks would either lose function, and would go limp. or i would end up ripping them out of the base. with game pads, i snapped one in half. i dunno how. but i did. maybe i was a strong child.

15. DeLorean5000

16. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

ive bust a graphics card with artic silver on the ram legs, f00ked it totally and a really old hardrive i was modding, it did look good after but it had scratches all over the disk, oops. :waah:

I have also busted a fan by putting a screwdriver into it while it was mooving :lol:

Last edited: 15 Aug 2003
  17. -Loay-

-Loay- What's a Dremel?

Crsuehd the core of my 9700 Pro (£230) only had it two weeks also:) whilst fitting a DD GPU block with no shim..

Loay.

18. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I sprayed my Wheelmouse Optical while it was still intact. I couldn't be bothered taking it apart. I'd masked the cracks but some paint must've got in somewhere.

I always break drill bits too:duh:

19. cellis4766

cellis4766 What's a Dremel?

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this... All I was wanted to do was see if the PC would boot properly... My first clue was the burning smell -- It cost me more to replace the processor than what the motherboard and processer were bundled together for.
    Also, I just had to replace my Power Supply three days ago because I was plugging something in (while it was on) and it shorted out (pretty blue sparks :D). I guess I'm lucky that I didn't fry anything else inside the case...

I have also done some wonderous damage to operating systems. I am getting pretty good at reloading Windows XP....:wallbash:

20. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Just a generic PSU and some rubbish PC133 ram. Killed the PSU by plugging it in when it was set to 115volts, killed ram by handling it without getting rid of static first! Both happened first time I tried my hand at building a pc. :dremel:

Not killed a single thing since!:clap:

Ade