1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

i broke my asus ipanel deluxe :wallbash:
    it was a disaster i was beaten up by my dad :waah:
    but i got a new on (the regular version)

2. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

i managed to blow up my dad's work's external CD writer. found out that it was actualy a normal CD writer with a parallel converter so it's new home is in my PC.

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Hardware Pop

I fried my cheep duro 400 Watt ps when I took it appart to paint the body to match my case. One of the open contacts from the p4 connector tuched a capacitor and pop. Lost 2 4 led fans in the power supply also.

Killed a fan by supplying 24 volts to it :clap:
    Crushed the die on an 800 duron when placed to close to the edge of the shipping box and was sat on.

Broke a 256 MB PC100 DIMM from a G4 by stepping on it
    Fried a G3 processor trying to overclock

Bent numerous pins... :dremel:

4. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

an xp 1700+ with a cooler having a bended clip...found this out when i cracked another duron 750 with the same cooler...the later still works
    a cdrom 6x funai
    a geforce 2 ultra(some kind of special edition, dont remeber what was it exactly but the guy who had it was very upset)
    dozens of leds
    broke a home made power amplifier on first run
    a f**k load of speakers/drivers....most of them had melted coils in then...i even amazed some repair shop guys :waah:
    a generic psu died while trying to add it as a second psu in my comp...still don t know why
    also, i broke a lot of components on pourpose like several cdroms and hard disks, out of those i remeber a cheap delta cdrom that didnt work well untill trying to break it and take it in for warranty, after the breaking procedure it has started to work and still works in this day, also, an IBM hdd that i tried to fry for about 2 hours, banging it against tables, purring water and moist tissues on his chipsetes, powering it with 12 instead of 5, and putting 24 volts directly on the motor while off and while running...it just went into protection and after a while started to work again...it died eventually, can t remeber how
    oh...almost forgot...did a WINDOWS bios update with the wrong bios to my new nfs7-s...it died :waah: ...had to do a live bios swap with another nf7s 2.0 to ressurect it...glad i had that around...
    i m sure that i broke some other things...but i don t remember...or don t want to remember :p

5. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: I'm not proud to say that i have ruined an ATI 8500 le not the best card but that's all i had when i did a little solder "inside the case" without taking anything out first, right above the vid card and plop a big drop of molten led in the circuits
    That was the first and last time i soldered anything inside my case :duh:

6. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

cd writer - piece of a cdr spindle went in with the cd and ruined it
    24X cd drive - having a play, borked it
    AXP 1700+ - left "please remove b4 use" sticker on
    AXP 1700+ - putting a volcano 7+ on, tight fit and cracked core
    rounded ide cable - pulled on it, broke
    couple of LEDS

some other stuff which i cant remember really

7. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I just killed my 120GB Western Digital and my 60GB Segate....very disapointing. I couldnt see the molex that i was putting the pins in and i reversed the 12V and the 5V :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: ....It could have been easily prevented....... :duh: I guess it could have been worse....it could have been my MoBos power and then my expensive sound card, Mobo, Proc and more could be gone.

Edit for spelling

Last edited: 7 Oct 2003
  8. kenco

kenco What's a Dremel?

I think the only computer hardware I've broken is a psu. It stopped working in one computer so I swapped it over for another one, which worked fine. I thought I'd give the bust one a go in another computer just to confirm.

Confirmation enough - I got a loud bang and a load of smoke poured out the back. Wahey!

I killed a joystick on an early Atari VCS years ago. I managed to break 3 of the 4 leaf switches. I don't think my dad's mate was too impressed when he got it back.

9. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

I just fried a CD-RW drive. I had modded my PSU and cut off all of the un-needed power connectors. Actually, I cut them off and put molex connectors on them so that if I ever needed to, I could add which ever pieces I needed. Well, everything worked fine until I plugged in one of the power connectors and connected it to my fanbus and CD-RW. I noticed that led fans were awfully dim and not spinning very fast. Then I noticed that the 5v and 12v wires from the PSU were connected to the 12v and 5v wires (respectively) of the power connector. :wallbash: Needless to say, the 5v bits of the drive did not appreciate 12v flowing to them. So I have a dead drive to harvest some pieces from now. :D

10. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

ive broken... 2 MSI mother boards, and 1 GeForce 4 Ti4400, all be cause im a dumbass

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Not all too much here.

An abit bh7 (fried bios)
    2 or 3 floppy drives
    a $220 cdrw (when i got it, was an 8x4x32)
    a ccfl, a fan ccfl
    a bunch of fans
    a keyboard or two
    a couple of power supplies
    a case (frustration)
    a creative volume controller, a printer or two...
    the socket lugs on a TUSL2-C...
    the socket lugs on some pc-chips board
    at least 2 pentium 1 mobos
    a 386 and 486
    a few cheap old drives....

That's about it for me (lucky i guess)

12. H4z4RD0uS

H4z4RD0uS What's a Dremel?

lol

1. my lil bros PC while reformatting it (it went off and corrupted HD)

2. my friend and I, at night, take my friend's dad's master keys (his dad is the founder of the school ) and we formatted 4 PCs

13. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

Well my good old trusted 4.2Gb Seagate HDD just died on the weekend... I'm gonna have to be in mourning for at least a week!! LOL

I was using it to transfer some game demos from my PC, and taking the disk to a mates house - and I guess dropping it down half a flight of stairs probably didn't help matters!! :waah:

Having said that, I just bought a 40Gb Maxtor to replace it :naughty:

14. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Humm let me see

GA-7vaxp mobo - No idea whats wrong with it, it just died!

Lots of sub 300w psus - i mean whats the point of a sub 300wpsu anyway! :rolleyes:

4x CDrom! - woo huge loss there :naughty:

100s of fans - I must have stuck my finger in £100+s worth of fans

other boring stuff like Random floppy suiside

so far no cpus, ram, grfx cards,etc.etc. :thumb:

15. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

I should make a video called tkwsn's guide to hardware destruction, or something like that. I have destroyed countless cards with AC, motherboards with a blowtorch, and PSUs with a hammer and blowtorch.

Anyways, there's the random thought of the day.

16. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

I really hop the hammer and blowtorch were not genuine attempts at mods?!

WTF would you be doing with that stuff anywhere near your components?? .....unless your a trainee pyromaniac?? LOL

17. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

I am a supreme pyromaniac. All the hardware was either not working or 486-era junk. :lol:

I did use a blowtorch to desoldier pin headers from an old motherboard for projects, however.

18. damfoose

damfoose What's a Dremel?

busted

Their I was emersed in a battle in space when it all went dead puzled look crosses face arghhh I had almost finished that mission hears fans and things starting up but nothing no beeps no post screen oh well time to open the case then looks inside all looked fine checks all connections all ok tries turning it on again nope nothing. Cx out Psu ( £40 ) for a decent one nope checks time 12:30 on a saturday hmmm new mobo then into town finds mobo back home 14:00 swap out kit try again nothing new chip then arghhh phone local shops conversation goes something like this......dial ring ring hello shop X this is ( some trainee named X speaking ) me hello do you have any amd thunderbird chips in stock?..... Them hang on a second let me see.... time ticks past then reply ummm no sorry but we have durons in.....me umm no thanks I am after a thunderbird chip thanks for your time.... after a few calls like this I changed to i am after a thunderbird chip NOT a Duron do you have any... in the end scan were saviours last one and they close in 20 min and at legal speeds they are 30 min away.....lets put it this way i got my chip and after installing that it worked... in the end after some playing about I had poped the old chip and mobo....one question though when you ask for something specific and say we dont have that in stock but we do have the inferior thingy you already said I dont want i require what i have asked for why do these people in shops try to sell you what you have said you dont want usually for a very good reason????

Last edited: 30 Oct 2003
  19. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

Re: busted

<offtopic>
    me likes bofh :)
    </offtopic>

20. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

i like it 2, so was it the processor that was broken? also its what salespeople have to do, they make money by selling people things, it doesnt matter to them if its what they want or not but i do agree that it is annoying that they try to pester you into buying somthing you dont want or need.