1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Oct 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Oct 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

just seen it, should have read it more carefully:wallbash: , the v1110 is indeed much bigger.:thumb:

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think it's pointless covering a very basic non-gaming system, the short answer is always "Buy a Dell". ;)

3. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I love the idea of having something like this each month or even bi-monthly. It really helps me out in terms of deciding where to start on building a system. Mad props guys, thanks :thumb:

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

£437 or thereabouts without delivery. I agree with the suggestion that there needs to be some tables included somewhere along the line to not only tot up the prices, but to make it easier for you to see the recommendations and alternatives.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks, you're right, it shouldn't have said twice the price. It's been a bit of a minefield to edit being the first article of its kind, but we'll get there as we refine things over the next few months. Between us, Rich and I have probably spent the best part of a working day just tweaking and checking this article.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

is the E5200 called Core2Duo overseas ? Here it's called a Pentium Dual Core, which doesn't make it appealing at all ...

It's the Pentium Dual-Core here as well - thanks!

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I'd like to say one thing more. A feature like this can be useful for two different groups of readers: people that know their hardware, and people that don't know their hardware. It is important that the alternatives you offer for people do not clutter up your main advice, because group two will instantly drop the article and go find another source. I'd like the article to say: buy this and this, you'll be a happy gamer.

People from group two don't want the aabsolute best, they just want a nice build from balanced and well-priced components.
    People from group one will ALL have an as$hole opinion about the components use, and will all want to swap out one or two. Offering sensible choices is obviously a great addition for them, but you scare group two. The way you present the article now will not enable my brother to order a balanced PC. He'll probably wonder where the second processor goes too after opening the box :lol:

Oh, and one more idea that pops up: maybe you could partner up with some retailer to build and offer the configurations you propose here, with a nice discount for Bit-Tech-readers ofc ;)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Xtrafresh: We discussed moving the alternatives to their own page (per build) and reading your comments makes me more confident that it would make sense. Thanks. :)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesn't sound appealing but it's exactly the same architecture. Basically it's more than a Celeron, but still leverage the very, very strong Pentium brand for inexpensive PCs where people are looking for a "Pentium" because that's all they know.

We previously overclocked a Pentium Dual Core E2140 from 1.8GHz to 2.9GHz and that was a 65nm chip - a 2.5GHz 45nm CPU should do 3.5GHz with a decent board.

As for other comments like lists etc - ours for next month is as long as our arm now :D Ha!

10. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Awesome article guys, I too would be interested in seeing more articles of this nature (hopefully with peripherals like fans and such as well) in the future. I'm a huge fan of the bit-tech writing staff and article style so its always a let down when I have to browse other websites for "buying guide" type articles. I'm curious to see how much this is all going to be shaken up when Nehalem draws closer.

Also I am a bit confused about the Radeon 4870 situation, when did everyone release the 1gig version? Did I miss something? For a few minutes there I was convinced that the stock 4870 had been 1gb all along and that the price had jumped 30$ from when you wrote this article. Newegg doesn't even carry the Sapphire 4870 512mb edition that you originally reviewed only a few months ago!

Oh and also is it just me or is the US pricing for the Cosmos S on page 7 seem a bit high...

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

yep, they tend to call it pentium over here too, but actually its the 45nm shrink of the E2x00.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haha, if you were to do a 2007 "What to buy" guide. i bet my whole computer (except the Raptor and 4 extra gig of RAM) would be your £800 machine :)

now, i have: same case, same CPU, (shame about Abit), same Vista, and same TRUE cooler (for higher overclock)

but Akasa cooler for mid-range? isn't Arctic Freezer 7 Pro the king in value?
    and no Corsair Hx620w?
    Maximus2 for high end mobo? not x48?

anyway, great article, will you keep it updated?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

God no - Akasa employed AC engineers a long time ago and made the ones we recommended :D It's far better.

Again, read the mid-section. We said most would probably want the HX620W but we recon it's getting a bit long in the tooth now - the CM SP 700W is better imo.

Max 2 does pretty much everything you need it to - why pay more for an X48 when it could be spent on more memory, more graphics or more CPU?

14. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Is there a reason you guys listed the GA-MA78GM-S2H over the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H?

IMO the DS2H is a much better board for the money, i recently used it to rebuild my system and it was only $10 AUD more than the original, and you get the integrated 128mb DDR3 Sideport memory and 140W CPU support, which would be good down the road if i wanted to chuck a higher TDP CPU in there

The way i figure it only $10 more for all that makes it that much better value

15. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

IMO get rid of the phoney budgets. I always thought a recommended hardware list was a good idea though.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

good article

18. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Hmmm....

"First Choice: Asus Maximus II Formula
    UK Pricing: £141.59 (inc. VAT)

We’ve only just recently reviewed this motherboard and it’s a simply fantastic system platform for many enthusiasts while not being too expensive either."

Not being too expensive? In that price range it's one of the most expensive on the market surely? Not that I'm arguing with it, though it did seem quite 'bare' for what you were paying. The P5W and it's ilk of yesteryear seemed to bring much more to the table. *sigh*

I still love my IP35 Pro!

19. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Great article, I was just thinking of building a new rig so this will come in very handy!

20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

you guys seem to really like vista 64 bit. i run 32 bit because i was slightly doubtful about vista 64 driver and software support, but it seems pretty good now. i think i'll upgrade to 64 bit in a few months

Tags: Add Tags