1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - October 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Oct 2009.

1. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip. I ordered mine on Saturday and got an email back saying:
    New Estimated Stock Availability : 19/10/2009

Not too long. :)

2. smithgjb

smithgjb What's a Dremel?

Started to put an order together for the various components listed, only to be told that the Asus P6t Deluxe v2 is now obsolete! Agghh, finally made the commitment and decision to proceed, only to find the motherboard has gone!! Any recommendations in its place? The Asus P6t is still available it seems, would that be a good replacement? I'm not much of a gamer, thinking more of the video editing and future proofing. Thanks and regards
    Graham

3. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

4. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

A good read, cheers guys :)

5. 00se7en

00se7en Too many computers, too little time

rpsgc - You were right. My Crucial SSD arrived today :) All it needs now is the new firmware and some TRIM-supporting Intel Storage Matrix drivers.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Check the G.Skill 2000MHz Ripjaws at Novatech - plenty more overhead and are usually a good price. Failing that, try Scan or Ebuyer for OCZ/ Corsair.

7. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

May be worth pointing out: Titan Fenrir is big enough in its default install (pushing air through heatsink to rear of case) that it blocks off one of the 6 memory slots on the Asus P6T v2 motherboard, especially as DDR3 is usually quite tall with heat spreader etc.

8. srmans

srmans What's a Dremel?

Yes I noticed this too with my build using same HSF with an Asus P6T board. Although if you only get one set of three DIMMs then my M/B manual states to use the orange slots furthest away from the CPU socket first which are clear of the HSF. See M/B picture.

9. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately, my day job is a software developer, and building our dev tree requires touching many GB of data. The more file cache I have available, the better; so 12GB it is.

Provisionally, I have the fenrir around backwards, with the fan attached backwards, so it is sucking air through the heatsink and directly into the rear case fan. If heat becomes an issue long term, I'll replace it with something smaller.

Unfortunately, I ran into a different problem, a bad 5870, so I have to wait to have that returned and replaced before this system gets into serious use.

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

UPDATE: mine arrived today instead of 19/10/2009!

11. 00se7en

Good job - Dabs price now back up to over £270! Mine's installed and working, but awaiting Retail Windows 7 and a firmware update to enable TRIM.

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

WOW! That was good timing! Price has gone from £219 to £274.85!

All the rest of my bits I've ordered for my new build arrive tomorrow!

Gonna be a busy weekend =)

13. 00se7en

£323 on the Crucial site now! That's over £100 more than I paid. Novatech seem to be among the cheapest at the moment. I should have ordered two!

14. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

no way...
    i was thinking of getting one this weekend for my new w7 install..
    will shop around

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Been challenged by my friend to beat a £350 compaq machine so I've been using this as a reference, anyway thought you'd be interested in hearing you can get a samsung F3 500GB for £36 here enjoy :)

16. Trancer

Trancer What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Always enjoy this section every month!

Can you please consider looking at the Foxconn the Bloodrage GTI? As its about the same price as the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R and im wondering how it stacks up :)

17. omgwtfbbqwallhax

omgwtfbbqwallhax What's a Dremel?

Was just looking at my case (CM HAF932) and i was thinking that if you mount the powersupply at the top of the case ( you will loose that big 200mm fan, but you can replace it with two 120mm fans if you mount the PSU at the top) you face fit that fourth graphics card in the case. Plus it has really nice airflow and a 200mm fan on the side to keep things cool :)

18. omgwtfbbqwallhax

omgwtfbbqwallhax What's a Dremel?

you could fit* ... wasnt concentrating :D

Tags: Add Tags