1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What HD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Confused Fishcake, 27 Aug 2006.

1. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Hi, I have been searching for a while but can't decide which external hard drive to get. Reliability isn't a big concern, I shall only be using it to store xvids for watching on a car laptop. It will need to be bus-powered, as I have no reliable source of 240V in the car. Price will need to be < £70, and capacity, the more the better. Thanks.

EDIT: Someone mentioned you can power some from two usb ports for extra power? I have 3 spare on the laptop, so that would be ok.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can use the USB to power them, but the most you'll get is 10V out of it.

Theres two options:

1. Make a molex port from the PSU (v. risky) or Car (less risky)

2. Get a small external drive. My mum has a 40GB drive, I thinks its a toshiba "Handy Drive" which is 40GB, but I can't find it anywhere at the moment.

EDIT:

Just found this http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108773

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You can always do the drive and the caddy seperately as well. Just find a 2.5" caddy (you can't bus-power 3.5" drives) that is USB powered and throw in whatever drive you fancy. 100GB (4200rpm) drives are around £70 or 80GB ones are about £50

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Generaly 2.5" external drives are usb powered and 3.5" ones arn't however i remember seeing a 3.5" caddy that is powered from two usb ports, i'll see if i can find it for you.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

2.5" drives can be USB powered because they only need 5v. I don't see how a 3.5" drive, which requires both 5v and 12v, could be powered from USB :confused: