1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What is dynamic disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by psYCHopath, 15 May 2003.

1. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    can anyone please explain what is dynamic disk?

Well Im using Windows 2000 Pro.
    Abit KX7-333R
    IBM 40GB 7200 rpm
    Quantum 3.2GB 5400rpm
    Yamaha 16/10/40

IBM on primary:master has 4partitons
    1st FAT32 (w2k)
    2nd FAT32 (mp3)
    3rd FAT32 (kazaa+backup)
    4th NTFS (pagefile [swap])

Quantum on secondary:slave has 1ntfs partition

Both of the raid ide is not used.

Is dynamic disk something like raid?
    :confused:
    I read the help files by M$ but still cant get a clue what dynamic disk is....:eyebrow:

Whats the advantage and the disadvantage?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

with xp and 2000 you can create a software raid array for raid0 raid1 raid5 and raid0+1 (i think) and to do that it needs to turn them into dynamic disks, mind you i dont know the technicalities of ecxactly what that means but yes, it is for raid, but only if you want windows to make a software array for you, not if you want to use the onboard raid on your motherboard

3. psYCHopath

ok...it means
    hardware raid= dynamic disk
    ????

erm if i convert my disk 2 (quantum) to dynamic disk

will my data on disk 1 erased?

4. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Microsoft's Dynamic Disks are NOT RAID ARRAYS. They are software controlled partitions that are able to span HDDs, or use backups. So they can function similar to RAID, but are not. For example, one Dynamic Disk configuration is to append partitions to multiple drives, essentially making multiple drives (or at least partitions on those drives) appear as one drive (like in My Computer, etc). This is very much like RAID 0. However you do not get the speed bonus like RAID, simply the bigger "drive".

If I remember correctly, Dynamic disk REQUIRE NTFS, so you'd have to convert your FAT partitions if you wanted to use them.

Advantages ?

Well, you cna get larger drives, which is better for organization, but otherwise nothing special. Or you cna have reduncancy, a constant backup of all your files on the Dynamic Disk.

Disadvantages ?

Well it's all software, and completely depandant on Windows. If Windows goes on you, you cna kiss pretty much all that data goodbye, as it has a decent chance of corrupting, and splitting data etc. Also if you upgrade, say bye bye to your Dynamic Disks, or if you move to Linux again. Also being software jsut makes it more unstable. Also with hardware RAID, if somethign happens, there's a chance you'll be able to rebuild without damage, or at least very little, with software, if somethign happens, it generally forms large piles of brown smelly stuff everywhere.

There is no speed bnonus for teh append option, which realy just makes it more risky that your data will catch fire.

Personally I would recommend you stay away from Dynamic Disks, they are more trouble than they are worth, and aren't really much of any use. They're one of those, "cool but useless.. . . . And stupid" inventions.

Hah. Damian Tech class did come in handy for once. Wow, I really did do more in there than throw IBMs at eachother . . . .

5. psYCHopath

:lol: now i understand what is dynamic disk....

extending the primary disk when its out of space...something like tat...rite?

and since it has so many disadvantages....lucky i didnt click the "Upgrade to dynamic disk"

thanks for the detailed info. :thumb:

oh yeah I would also like to know is there any software/app that can control bandwidth.

I have an ADSL connection 386kbps
    shared to 3 pcs.....i just want the 3pcs to have equal connection....i have tried Bandwidth Controller....but still cant figure out how to use it...

6. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Actualyl upgrading the drives to Dynamic Disks does nothing, it's when you actually make use of those abilities is when you start certain hand gestures at the Gods of Data.

Yeah, extending teh partition, that's pretty much what it is.

I'm not sure about teh bandwidth, I know that there exists quota controllers (only allows so many megs or gigs through a certain computer) but as for splitting it, well, if your downloading a file on each, it should auto split at your ISPs servers, as it'll be like downloading three files on a single computer. And if the opther two aren't doing anything, wouldn't you want the one that is doing somethign to have all the available bandwidth ? :eyebrow:

Tags: