1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What is it that makes the Dell U2410 so much better than the U2412?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kissinger, 15 Dec 2012.

1. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

I'm thinking of buying either one of these monitors. Is the 2410 really that much better than the 2412?

One particular thing I'm interested in is, is the anti-glare coating on the 2410 less aggressive than the one on the 2412, as anti-glare really bothers me?

Thanks.

2. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Well as the owner of 3 U2412 monitors I'm in love with them, beautiful colors and very low on heat output over previous 24 inch models I've owned (U2405, U2407). Also I got them for under 300 bucks each on Amazon (best price when I was in the market).

I've had no issues with glare except when taking pictures of them and whatever coating Dell is using doesn't bother me in the slightest.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The U2410 is a much better monitor pretty much all around.
    It features:
    -> higher build quality, and a much better stand, where the base and arm is in solid metal. (if you look at the pictures of the base of the monitor: gray is paint on metal, and black is covered over metal.
    -> As inputs, you have, like the U2412: DisplayPort, DVI and VGA. But also you have: Composite Component, second DVI, and HDMI port.
    -> Support for Picture-in-Picture, and also Side-by-Side Picture-in-Picture
    -> It has an H-IPS panel and not an eIPS (economy IPS), which provides better image.
    -> It has a color processor, and Look Up Table, for helping you giving you nicer colors.
    -> It uses a TRUE 8-bit color per channel (red, green and blue) panel, and not 6-bit one like all eIPS and TN panels. (This is very costly)
    -> It comes with 2 pre-color calibrated profile done for you: Adobe RGB and sRGB, for stunning image output out of the box (well... out of the box, turn on, go on the monitor menu, and pick which color profile you prefer: Adobe RGB or sRGB. The default profile is called "Standard", and like all monitors, see it as "Store shelf settings", if you will). You have a color calibration report on the 2 profiles provided. (profiles calibrations aren't good enough for professionals work... then again, this monitor is still not good enough in general for them)
    -> It uses high-grade CCFL back light, for stunning whites, and no color tint added to the image (most visible on grays, and whites)
    -> It can also technically support 1.07 billion colors if you have the setup and content for it. That means a GPU with native DisplayPort connector (GeForce 200 series or newer, I have no idea about Radeon's), you connect the monitor via DisplayPort with no adapters used, Windows 7 or newer, an image software that support 10-bit or more colors, like PhotoShop CS5, and finally, content that is made in 10-bit colors).
    -> Media card reader
    -> Touch sensitive button for a more invisible button system. I can say, its well done, works very well, and like all new Dell monitors, the new on screen monitor menu is very nice, and super easy to navigate.
    -> Better real world response time.

Downsides of the U2410 over the U2412
    -> Price... but I'll argue its worth the premium price. I believe its worth every penny, in fact.
    -> Contrast isn't as good as the U2412, as the U1412 it's back light (as it is a white LEDs), is at the bottom of the panel, and not directly behind it. So automatically you have better contrast. But, it's not to say that the U2410 has terrible contrast. Not at all... but I am comparing the two.
    -> Increase input lag. Due to the color processor and other fancy component. While the U2410 has a "Game" mode which turn off a lot of this, decreasing the input lag, its not as fast as the U2412. This is not to say that you have anything visible. But if you play FPS games at hard core level, and you need to have your "gamer" gear absolutely, down to your printer, as you play extremely competitively, than the increase input lag will be an issue (then again, a IPS panels isn't the right fit for you to start with). The U2410 has a ~30-40ms input lag (depends on your testing equipment and method) under Adobe RGB and sRGB mode, while it sounds a lot, its really nothing, as its we are talking about milliseconds. It's like talking about terabyte of data of an HDD in bytes instead. Big numbers, but very small. But, some people with hyper twitch reflexes claim they can see it, so I mention it. For me, I never used game mode on my U2410.

And that's about it.

As for the anti-glare coating.
    1- The monitor needs to be at least the distance of your arm with your fist close, and not touching the monitor, when you are siting like you are using the computer. This is my personal recommendation. Also that the monitor brightness isn't at ludicrous brightness. These monitors, ESPECIALLY the U2410, are designed to have the sun facing it, and you still see the screen to some extent. For reference, my U2410 brightness level is set to 0% (its not off), and even then I find it bright sometimes. My 0%, is like 75% brightness from other monitors. I don't know how it compares with the U2412M... probably 50-75% like other monitors as it uses white LED's

The U2412M has a less aggressive anti-glare coating than the U2410. If you come from a CRT, it won't bother you the one from the U2410. If you come from a glossy screen, then it might be an issue. It takes time to use to (any non-glossy screen). Once you pass that stage. you notice that you enjoy more your computer, as you see better, and you don't need to kill your eyes to boost the brightness of the screen to compensate for the reflections you see.

Dell will soon replace he U2410 with the U2413:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3230681#post3230681
    Is it better or worse.. I don't know. The details while official, they are being translated by google, and was not found in the other sites of Dell. So the specs might not be really official.
    The monitor look better, but it seams they cut on build quality by decided to use the current U2412 model design (perhaps even the same molding/casing), over the U2410.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2012
    RevDarny likes this.
  4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Is this another display thread GoodBytes just ended?

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

I do believe it is

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Anti Glare coating is so subjective person to person and location to location.

You really do need to see it in the shops before you can decide if you can live with it or not.

7. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Haha! Goodbytes really knows his stuff! Thanks for the lowdown.

One other quick question: I've been offered a good price on an Asus PA248Q. I can get one for the same price as a 2412. Do you think that's a good option?

8. GoodBytes

I cannot find any detailed reviews of the Asus PA248Q. Specs wise it looks like its the same. Both are 6-bit panels, and have similar specs, as the U2412, but has USB 3.0 hub instead of USB 2.0 (it's newer, so its normal it has that). It does come with a pre-color calibrated profile apparently, but I have 0 details on that, so I could be wrong.

I have no user feedback, or know anyone on this forum with an ASUS IPS panels. I know they had issues... but that was different models and years back.... and it could have been simply a temporary production problem, or bad batch, or something. People here usually jumps with Dell monitor due to others feedback, availability of in depth reviews, and of course, they can sometimes find a good price.

But if you decide to get the ASUS monitor, be sure to tell us what you think. Be critical, and provide the most info. Such information will help me help others better.

Looking at user reviews, which I don't like to do, as usually a lot of complaints are miss rating (saying its excellent by give it 1 star), or they don't know what they are talking about, or manufacture error without giving the product a second chance, or confuses monitor technology limitation as unexpected issues. Anyway, it seams that there is apparently a backlight bleeding issue... all I can say is that its a bit expected for this price range of monitors... like it won't be perfect 0 backlight bleeding. But it should not be a visibly large issue. But that is IF even there is an issue with this. Many confuses the IPS panel glow effect visible only on a full black screen (not visible on wide screen movies, and It doesn't affect colors) as back light bleeding, but it's not... that's how IPS panels are. They are process to reduce significantly this effect, but you only find it on high-end professional grade monitors. The process is still too expensive to reach the consumer levels. It will take many many years, as monitor technology moves as snail paste compared to the rest of the computer industry.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2012
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS PA's are all pre-calibrated. The PA248 is 6-bit+FRC (8-bit emulation, as good as in real world) with a colour accuracy of ΔE<5 and 100% sRGB.
    *PIP/PBP functions
    *QuickFit
    *DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, D-sub
    *IPS (no prefix) with LED backlight

Apparently LG stopped making our PA246 panels recently. There's not many very high-spec ones out there.

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty What's a Dremel?

I was looking for a decent IPS panel with 1920x1200 without hugely breaking the bank. My PA248Q is on the way to me today, really looking forward to trying it out.

11. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Wow. I knew I should have looked for more information than I did when I purchased mine back in July. The 2412 might be the "inferior" model but I've been absolutely happy with the trio I bought, so whatever. :) Of course when you start buying monitors in quantities of three or more price differences start to be more obvious too.

12. GoodBytes

Yes, the U2412 is the inferior model (hence the lower price tag), but you are happy with it, as it is a excellent value for your money, and it still beats the crap out of the great majority of monitors out there. And beats TN panels in terms of overall experience

13. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

That is the absolute truth there GoodBytes! I've got them hooked up to a GTX 680 4GB card, running the monitors in portrait mode with bezel correction in place and damn to my games look fine at 3900x1920. :)

14. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

i got a 2412m a couple of months ago and im very happy with, i thought to myself i should have got one ages ago, btw i generally use it for gaming not photo or video editing if thats one of your requirments, id imagine it will be pretty good thou, the reveiw in custompc said they ajusted some setting to get the best out of it but it didnt say what.

15. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Let us know how you get on with it, mate.

16. MjFrosty

MjFrosty What's a Dremel?

Used it for a couple of hours last night. Really like it, the colours are so much truer than what I'm used to with the ASUS TN panels, even with the flat anti glare finish. I've no real experience with IPS panels to comment on quality, or even to compare it with the DELL. But I'm definitely impressed.

I've seen people take a dig at the slower response times when gaming, but honestly coming from the 120Hz 2ms Asus I can barely notice anything without doing any proper testing. Just an initial impression really, but I can't fault it so far. It's just really refreshing to have vivid colours :D.

There is a downer when going back to using 60Hz on the desktop, you do notice it a lot. But it's not a massive issue really.

17. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

Thanks for the feedback. I got mine today. Here's a few thoughts:

*Going from 1440p back to 1200p was more of a big deal than I initially thought. It does feel very cramped on the desktop, but hopefully after a few weeks it will get better.

*In gaming situations the limitation of 1200p is really not a problem. I don't think games look much better at all at 1440p, and to max out games at 1440p you need some ungodly GPU power. I just installed Far Cry 3 and can barely max it out on an overclocked 7970 at 1080p, so that makes me feel better about having ditched my Catleap.

*As far as the colour reproduction on the PA248 goes, it's very nice. It feels better than my previous Dell 2312. Backlight bleed is minimal, anti-glare coating is not nearly as aggressive as the 2312 and uniformity across the panel is really quite good. I still think the big weakness of most of these IPS panels are the black levels, caused largely by bad AG coating, but this panel is decent in that regard.
    *Asus build quality is excellent as far as the bezel, buttons, etc, goes. The tilt function works like a dream, the monitor never wobbles (unlike my Catleap and 2312) and it just feels really solid. Looks nice too.

*You really get that feeling of a quality product from Asus. The monitor came with a ton of accessories and the USB 3.0 hub is a nice addition. The monitor as a whole just 'feels' more classy/expensive than my old 2312.

*I LOVE the fact that this monitor has 1:1 pixel mapping. It's one of those 'little' things that a lot of monitors leave out for cost reasons, but it's really handy on a 1200p screen because a lot of games are designed with 1080p in mind and it's nice to be able to switch to that resolution without throwing off the aspect ratio. E.g. in SFIV on PC all of the textures are warped if you run at 1200p and you can only get everything in its proper aspect ratio at 16:9. It's also handy to have the option of 1080p if your video card struggles at 1200p in certain games. It won't make much difference but 1080p is slightly less demanding than 1200p, especially in vram terms.