1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What is it with road users? (UK mainly)

Discussion in 'General' started by Akkatha, 18 Sep 2010.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Well-Known Member

I don't think this is the right way to look at it, and I'm certain if an accident did occur, the bad driver couldn't use the excuse of "it was the other drivers fault because they were adhering to the speed limit". The bad driver would be 100% at fault, and not the driver maintaining the speed limit. At the end of the day, who would be breaking the law, and who wouldn't?

Our roads are like a big, stupid game of leapfrog with drivers. Everyone has to be in front, and many take stupid chances to overtake, or stay in front, and that's when accidents are most likely to occur.

Regards the older drivers, and their safety, young male drivers are every bit as dangerous as the fogies, if not more so. Boy racers who think they know it all when it comes to driving, push the car too far to suit the conditions, are arrogant behind the wheel etc etc, and then come a cropper. If they are lucky, they smash their car up and walk away. If they are unlucky, then they may not walk away, or worse still they may kill others by their own stupidity.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are they going to change that sign for wet or icy conditions? Are they not saying "it's a blind bend, you can't see, go slower" rather than adjusting it to what your car can actually do? ;)

3. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Oh, don't get me wrong, the bad driver is definitely 100% at fault. But impeding the flow of traffic can cause risky situations as you get hot heads and over aggressive drivers reacting badly to the hindrance in front of them. There is a reason why some interstates have a minimum speed limit.

4. stuartpb

What about the drivers who are driving slower than the limit because they are unfamiliar with the road they are on? I have been in that situation myself before. Or those who reduce their speeds correctly, in accordance with the road/ weather conditions? Been there myself too. And every time, you get plenty of tosspots who think they own the road, and will be virtually kissing your bumper, trying to overtake aggressively, or having a fit on the horn. The trouble is that when many people get behind a wheel of a car or ride a bike, they lose any regard for other road users, and take silly chances they just wouldn't normally think of.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i always speed on the highway. and i am also one of the best and safest drivers out there. my perfect driving record shows it.

in town though, i generally go speed limit or slightly under. pedestrians can appear out of nowhere it seems.

i also hate being tailgated and if someone does it to me i will give them a very hard time. i never tailgate people. not on purpose atleast. i do catch myself doing it on the highway when i get stuck behind a slow driver once in a while, but then i back off as i realise they dont like it, just like i dont like it.

i also NEVER use my horn. only one time have i ever used it in anger and it was cuz some retard went through a stop sign and almost hit me and i had to do evasive maneuver to avoid accident.

i will say, before the haters start hating, that i dont speed as much anymore as i used to. the speed limit here is 100km/h. generally it has been that the cops wont pull you over unless you do 120+. so i would drive with cruise control set to 118 all the time. but this spring i started hearing about people getting tickets for going 115 and stuff and i started to see alot more cops on the road and had one or two flash their lights at me. so i decided to slow it down and now i cruise at 110-112. im still rarely ever passed but i am not in danger of getting a ticket.

:rock:

knuck likes this.
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh I find the majority of road speed limits suitable forthe road im on + i tent to use them as an indication of whats up ahead.

chalk up women in SUV's onto the list of people that shouldnt be on the road, no really woman wtf are you trying to proce with a car that size?

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Nearly got wiped out a week ago, and if dangerous drivers are a gripe of yours you're going to love this!

We were on our way to work in the scunthorpe area, now our route was to take the A15 north and right (eastbound) at the A15/M180 junction/roundabout on to the M180. Now this is a busy roundabout and generally blind ( you cant really see if theres traffic around any of the bends), But its early so its not too bad,

Now the day before a lorry had an incident on the east side of the roundabout which meant you couldnt get all the way around and were diverted eastbound onto the M180. The diversion was clearly marked and seriously obvious.

So we enter the roundabout the next day and the diversions still in place, not that it matters to us because we're heading eastbound anyway, just as we round the first corner of the roundabout we're greeted by a woman in an astra estate reversing heading straight at us! the HGV behind us nearly hit us from the back and the woman clipped the wing mirror from the front.

Now i was so shocked by this i couldnt even shout abuse, i couldnt get my head around the fact she was reversing around a busy main junction roundabout!. After clipping the mirror though the woman stopped put her window down and started shouting abuse at us, as if it was all our fault!

She then carried on reversing past us and the HGV, i have no idea where she was going, being a busy roundabout i just carried on. Wish i had time to get her details but i was exactly going to get out and chase her!

8. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

The ads and stats in the UK are mostly based on data from the 70s and bare little relation to the safety of todays roads and pedestrians. We actually have pretty safe roads, accidents happen, the volume of roads users does mean its kind of inevitable, its amazing there aren't more accidents really regardless of speeding when you consider the mostly poor signage, lighting and road quality, especially once you get outside of cities.

Speeding is a contributory factor in a small percentage of road casualties.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Well-Known Member

I think think speed limits need reviewing as alot of are roads are in shocking condition.

10. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

I think I was in a bad mood when I started this thread!

Whilst personally I think speed limits are there for a reason, I understand people will drive faster. Thats something I can accept on a dual carriageway or a motorway where theres space.

Speed isnt really my issue, more people who act like morons and terrorise and hassle people by tailgating them. I'm certain no-one likes this and the added pressure of having someone right on your heels when you're already going as fast as you're supposed to really gets to me.

To put it into perspective and explain why I was so angry, last night I was heading towards a friends from work at about 8.30. I took a different road than the route I normally take going home as it was more direct. It happened to be a long, single carriageway at the national speed limit with no lights on it. I didn't know the road too well and in the dark it's harder to navigate than in the daylight, at least for me!

For about 10 mins of the journey I had someone behind me right on my tail, swinging out to try and overtake even though it was a rather busy road and all the time with his MASSIVE headlights dazzling me in my mirrors. It stressed me out no end.

If he'd just pulled back and left a little more of a gap I'd have been a lot happier. Honestly he should have just put some relaxed music on and chilled out :p

Oh and 13eightyfour, thats something I'd seen before! Except instead of reversing, the woman in question had actually done a 3 point turn in an unfinished roundabout exit and decided to drive back around the rouandabout the wrong way. Seriously..... mental!

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Reversing on a roundabout? That's madness. Driving at the speed limit because it's the speed limit? Also madness. Driving slower than the speed limit because you feel it's not safe to do so or you're unfamiliar with the road? That's 100% sanity. Creating an obstruction by sitting in lane 3 of a motorway doing precisely 70mph and refusing to move in, that's illegal.

The 70mph national speed limit was introduced in the UK because of a spate of accidents in foggy conditions. Personally I'd drive a lot slower than 70 in fog, even on a motorway. In 1967 when the limit was introduced, the top speed of many cars wasn't much more than 70mph. Now you'd be hard pressed to find a car that's incapable of 100mph. Tyres are fatter, braking systems have been improved - ABS anyone - so stopping distances have improved. Thinking distances are probably still the same but our national speed limit is still a product of some bad weather over 40 years ago. Is that sensible?

12. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

People who use their car as an extension of the bathroom, office, dinning room are far more dangerous than people who speed a little.

As a motorcyclist you get a unique view down on people and their drive to work habits.

Mirrors turned toward the driver so she can apply make-up whilst doing 70 mph, hot cups of coffee, coffee and even hotter cigaret, reading a book, reading a book and having a ciggy at the same time. Mobile phones, leaning down to pick up something you have dropped, eating and drinking.

The best of all was a guy driving using his knee to steer while he wrote something on a pad being told to him while he is on his mobile whilst smoking a ***.

People not paying attention causes more accidents than speeding in my opinion.

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Akkatha, if you've got someone tailgating you in the dark, their headlights dazzling you, it's best to stop and let them come past. There's no point you having an accident because they are a tw@.

14. Invictus.

Invictus. Member

Well I dont have much experiance driving but I can say i dislike country roads.. mainly due to the fact i go 60 in my lessons like your ment to (unless heavy rain etc. where i drop to 50 odd) and the other day there was a grass cutter going down at 10mph, so I dropped down waited behind it as there was a blind bend and as a que started building up as i wasnt willing to overtake on a bend and then there was a brow of a hill so I waited till I could see behind I was being flashed by people which is stupid tbh.. As for general road users most are ok but some are utter dicks on my lessons, Ive been cut up on the A55 (dual carridgeway at 70mph) around 4-5 times cause the guy was late for his turn thus the instructor almost had to slam the brakes on which if i was on my test would've failed me its stupid and even on smaller roads at 30 people tailgate you despite a string of traffic on the other side and there is a speed camera around the corner etc.

15. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Member

in northern ireland, for a year after your test you are forced to display R plates, and restricted to 45mph on all roads. Including motorways. This is supposed to be for safety, so you learn how to control the car at lower speeds before you hit the higher speeds.

It is, by far, the stupidest driving law ever. 45mph on a motorway, while legal is VERY unsafe. You can't change lanes in well moving traffic. Every other car on the road will be passing you, and that basically means you're an obstruction on the road. And, most importantly, it means you have Zero respect for that speed limit, which means less respect for other limits.

16. stuartpb

I would say this is incorrect. Out of the 131,582 reported accidents in 2008, there were 35570 of these accidents where speeding was a contributory factor. That's 27% of all accidents that showed speeding as a contributory factor. Hardly a small amount by anyone's measure.

Source: RCGB 2008

Edit: Agreed on the state of our road network. Our local council loves putting speed humps all over the borough, but forgets about the potholes. Surely a much better use of aggregate and tarmac would be to fill the holes in first? :sigh:

Last edited: 18 Sep 2010
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

of course speed is a contributing factor

this just in: man breaks face of parked car. :D

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I live in Aberdeen. Drivers here are terrible. I've come to the conclusion (since the majority of people I've met here aren't evil) that when someone gets behind the wheel they change a little bit inside, they function in an altered manner, similar to how people behave in a mob. Not only are even professional drivers ignorant of basic road rules here, but they break serious rules with contempt. Being a ped here is dangerous - Girlfriend was about 1 inch from being pancaked by a truck last year (police were angry), and I recently had to sprint over a road with a green man to avoid a bus which decided orange meant "accelerate like hell without bothering to check for people crossing".

19. xrain

xrain Member

Tailgaters don't bother me that much, since at least they are paying attention to the road only most of the time.

The people I cant stand are those who believe they are capable of multitasking while driving. I have been in more close calls with people who have been talking on their cell phone, or any number of things distracting them from driving. Talking on your phone while driving is still legal here sadly, But that doesn't stop a strong urge to yank the phone out of their hands and throw it as far as I can.

I have been a race-car driver on ice tracks since I was 13 years old, I still do not even feel close to confident enough to distract myself while I'm driving no matter what the road conditions are.

Yes people might be able to sufficiently multi-task for 95% of the situations they encounter while driving, but all it takes is to be sufficiently distracted for a fraction of a second to run over a pedestrian, or run into a mini-van full of kids.

Your driving an object with the capability to do as much destruction as an artillery shell and yet people still insist that it's not deserving their full attention

I think getting any sort of drivers license should require people to go through an advanced defensive driving course, and if they are unable to pass they must drive cars the size of a smart fortwo. It still wouldn't quite cure the problem, but at least you would have a lot more faith in the driving ability of that person in the two ton hummer bearing down on you.

20. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

One note on speed limits:
    I tried something here last time I drove from my parents back to the capital: I went exactly the speed limit at all times, except when overtaking, because it's just plain dangerous to do that without crossing the limit somewhat. I confirmed my speed with the GPS on my N900 and I noticed that before the motorway started, only four cars overtook me (whereas I probably overtook 20 cars), and after it had started, I stopped counting after around 20.
    What's with the driving slower on two-lane roads compared to four-lane roads?

I also noted a significant difference in fuel consumption. Usually, it takes around half a tank to do this journey, now it took well over half a tank. Fuel economy is worse when driving according to the limit?
    I normally do ~10km/h over, seeing as that's what gets me the best fuel economy. (It's a Chrysler Stratus 2.5 v6)
    Why this is happening, I have no idea, but we observed the same thing with our old Saab 9000CD.

What I'll have to say that annoyed me the most though, was the people overtaking on the passing lane parts of the road, then slowing down in front of me. This happens several times during the drive. I don't understand why people do it. They drive ~90 km/h, then when they get to the passing lane stretch, they speed up to 110+ and overtake (or prevent you from overtaking), after it, they slow back down. !?

EDIT: okay, I lied, that's probably more than one note.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2010