1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What is the attraction of NASCAR?

Discussion in 'General' started by D3s3rt_F0x, 13 Feb 2009.

1. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

As title is there anyone here who watches it? Your thoughts opinions etc? I can understand it being less restricted than series like F1, but its driving around a roundabout with no exits from what I can see, where as BTCC at least has corners, or am i missing something, Im sure I am but thats why I'm asking.

Just asking with the NASCAR series Daytona 500 and stuff coming up.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It lasts a while, so there's a decent beer window, and there are occasional car wrecks.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It's just like baseball. People don't go to watch the sport. They go there to eat bad hotdogs and drink beer.

It's sort of going to a pub, but with a bigger bar.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

And the beer walks around!

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Very good crashes in Nascar, and its loud.

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Cars screaming at upwards of 200MPH and only a few feet apart from each other, there's bound to be an epic crash at some point.

I'm not much of a fan, but I would like to watch a race in person.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I guess it is mainly for the beer. I'm from down south in the States and I hate NASCAR, i much prefer Euro Rally. My dad use to be a rally racer and has shown me some of the tricks. Now i think i might go down the same route.

8. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Check out BTCC or DTM sometime, standard cars with rollcages and weightloss (theres some other bits as well i know), crashes and ramming plus theres corners and lots of action.

Just thought I'd give NASCAR another chance but based on the answers so far might forget it lol.

9. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

I never do watch every race, but I enjoyed the few I've gone to(here and here). I prefer road course racing, and I frequent this nearby track. As far as circle track racing goes I prefer Sprint Cars to any other kind. There's just something about getting dirt in your beer that makes it cooler... plus the wrecks are cool.

10. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Watkins Glen and Sear Point (Infineon) road course races are pretty fun to watch. I went to the glen one year and during the chicane, for a split-second, the cars only had their right-rear touching the pavement.

11. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

I'd love to be able to go to those tracks, but I'm too far away. I'd like to see NASCAR do an all raod course series. I think it would draw enough attention to be worth it.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I do not like NASCAR but the crashes are pretty sweet

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I like it and watch pretty much every race. It is the 2nd most watched sport in the US. 1st is NFL obviously.

Definitely not for everyone but I find it really awesome to watch. Even better would be to see a race in person.

I have been at 2 tracks but not to watch a race. Two and a half years ago I went the track at Chicago and did a Ride-Along program thingy. Got to ride in a Nascar at 160mph around the track. It's awesome. Next time I will do the other one where you actually get to drive it yourself.

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I get bored of NASCAR quickly, just way too many laps. I'd rather watch F1.

15. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

There was only one reason I thought of as I was coming into this thread and that was the crashes glad to see I'm not the only one!

I was up stupidly late the other week and caught some NASCAR and some sort of special stage rally in an arena that was on (think it was late night C4 or 5) the Arena rally with its drifting and jumps etc was definitely more entertaining however the general muscling around that went on in the nascar and of course the inevitable crash was also quite fun, I'm only glad it was the highlights cos otherwise it would have lasted ages with nothing happening...

The drivers obviously have skill but it's no where near as entertaining as F1 - the corners sometimes go both ways Shock Horror! :jawdrop:

16. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

That's one of the things I like about F1, races are only about an hour long. NASCAR races last 3-4 hours. Most people I know that watch every race usually nap in the middle, as all the action is at the beginning and end.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Sound of roaring V8's, beer and some serious crashes, its a little macabre i know but still makes good viewing..

18. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

I'm not quite sure what the allure is. For me, even the wrecks don't justify watching it(they always play those in the highlights later on all week). Its just like Baseball and Soccer to me - lots of sitting, not much action. I'd much rather watch an F1 race.

19. Major

Major Guest

Football and Rugby = Kicks Baseball, NASCAR, American Football, Basketball right up the ass.

;)

20. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Basically it's a blood sport with large aspects of human tribal bonding as well :)