1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Headset?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 6 Dec 2010.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

comfort is #1 for me...

that being said, hows the 5.1 positional on this thing? or is it stereo? lol

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Any chance of reviewing anything in the lower end?
    (20-30quid)

3. Valinor

Valinor New Member

These are basically the same as the carcharias (comfort and sound wise), but come with an external sound card built in. Useful if you don't have a sound card, but more expensive to match.

Also, in the lower end, I recently got the Creative HS-450 for a friend (birthday), and they were good value and had good sound + comfort for that price (£17 ish), so worth looking at.

4. Farfalho

Farfalho New Member

Bit-tech, you should check this review because you cut every other headset you tested included the Creative Sound Blaster Arena headset which I'm prone to buy by your recommendation.

A little bit off-topic, you have to do something about your built-in search engine because if I type a product which you reviewed, it won' return me to anything relative to that product, just a bunch of no good results.

Every time I come back here to check something I read sometime ago, I can never find it because of that =(

5. ssj12

ssj12 Member

the date of the article is off by 12 months.

6. Cuddles

Cuddles Need Hugs?

I would not get the Steelseries if you use your headphones constantly. Initially, they sound great but they wear out very quickly. The first pair I had lasted a little longer than 6 months but the 2nd and 3rd sets didn't last 4 months. So, I am looking for a new company to buy 2 sets of headphones.
    Sound quality of Steelseries is excellent which is why I bought two new sets.
    Comfort depends. The 5H is about 7 while the Siberia is about 8. After a few hours the Siberia's begin to hurt.
    Build quality is poor to very poor. They appear rugged and durable but after a month of solid use they deteriorate fast. Between the three I have had three different problems. One is a problem with the Microphone. Second is sound issues with balancing issues. The Third was that certain tones would not come through. The 5H lasted about 7 months of repetitive use and ended up also having balancing issues on this.
    They sound good and look good but durability they just don't make the grade.

7. stupido

stupido New Member

I would love to try once those PC350...
    Up to now, I had creative fatality and siberia. I have tried senheiser from a friend (I forgot the number) and from all I still have Kave my favorite for gaming & movie. For music I think Senheiser were really better than all the rest. Kave in music sound to me same quality as Siberia.

Did you try them with a sound card? Mine were also sounding kind a hollow with onboard (Realtek 889A) but when I plugged it to CreativeXtreme Gamer card (el cheapo gaming card) it came to life :) also probably there is the "get used to" factor - after short usage I came to start distinguish distance better than with other stereo headsets. Stereo headsets tend to put all sound very close to your ears and gives impression on small area, opposite to the Kave where all sounded more life like.
    My main experience is on FPS and namely TF2 which I play probably 80% of my gaming time. With Kave it is very funny to hear the Sniper's arrows flying next to your years while being able to hear how far actually they are, or bullets ricochets behind you... :)
    The same experience with COD MW, Quake Wars, Crysis...

8. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

I have heard good reviews about these, especially for the price (around a third of RRP):

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...pe=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

I think a lot of gaming headphones are ok, but kinda over-gimmicky with an emphasis on looks and features rather than technical excellence. I currently have steelseries 5h|v2 which are nice, but my friend has the Audio Technica ones AD700 or something, that are simply -amazing-. If I were to give them scores on quality:

cheap £10 set that 'does the job' = 3/10
    steelseries 5h|v2, above average, decent quality = 6.5/10
    AD700 = 9/10

in terms of sound quality alone. I'm sure the scale could be depreciated further if you start looking at the really high end cans, but after hearing the audo technica ones you can't really go back and say these 'gamer headphones' are great. It's like seeing something on a IPS screen and then going back to a rubbish TN, it might be good, but it's not that good. (I have a TN and 100% happy with it.. so not the best example :p but there we go)

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I saw these in Custom PC a couple of months ago... they're on my Xmas list!

10. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Just had a look through December CustomPC and these Razor's were the recommended headphones out of the range they reviewed.

I think the wireless Sennheiser PXC 310 BT are top of my wishlist at the moment which were awarded best wireless headphones in the 2010 What Hi-Fi magazine awards.

RRP around £260, Amazon £172.88 with free delivery.

11. Bruners

Bruners New Member

Sennheiser PC151 is the one i prefer

12. willyolio

willyolio New Member

Interesting. I'd like bit-tech to review that one, as well as the Tritton AX 51 Pro for the same reasons. true 5.1 sound in a headset.

13. jcb121

jcb121 New Member

HS1 Fact :D

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Yes,i tried them with an Asus Xonar DX card. They did sound good in some games, maybe they would just take some getting used to. I might give them a test on my old x-fi Xtreme Music card to see if they sound any different. I think i've just got used to the Sennheisers, which still give great positional audio in games.

15. roadie

roadie New Member

I recently purchased the Razer Carcharias. I'm very happy with them. They're well made and sound excellent. The sound is nicely balanced. The bass is well defined, but it doesn't overwhelm. They also reveal lots of detail in the mid and high ranges. I would recommend.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

I'm looking for a pair of decent gaming cans for around the £60-£70 mark, and there has been a lot of research conducted by myself due to the many suggestion from people in these comments. Can always trust audiophiles to have a strong opinion!

The thing I have noticed though, is that a lot of the headsets I have looked up have not had a microphone, so as far as I am concerned, gaming headsets they are not.

To be honest, I am looking at the Sharkoon X-tatic v3 in the second post. Seems like they tick all the right boxes; good sound, around the ears, 5.1, decent price, etc. I am sure you can get better sound quality in more expensive sets (maybe even the same cost, but without a mic), but being stuck with a maximum budget of about £70 means I am looking more at the value of the sound quality, rather than the absolute best, and that is also another thing that I think is important in a gaming headset; people don't want to spend their life savings.

The one question I really have, is how much of a difference does a soundcard make, and what (if anything) in particular do I need to be looking for in a set of 'phones that will make the most of the Xonar D2X I have?

17. mrbens

mrbens New Member

I finally settled on these Grado SR80i after a couple of weeks researching.

Proper high-class cans.

They don't have a mic but then I don't play online games where you have to talk to people so chose proper headphones over a headset. :)

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Congrats on the purchase! Hope they're comfy enough for you, Grados aren't big on padding..

19. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Hope so too.

Think I'm going to order one of these too to make proper use of them instead of using normal onboard sound. Every review I've read about them say they are outstanding with decent headphones.

[​IMG]

20. Farfalho

Farfalho New Member

BT staff, would you mind comment on this article of why you've changed a headset round up for one headset and didn't even mind to change the title?

Some other headsets were good for some people and you gave a identical score to the Sound Blaster Arena.
    I know this topic is old but I use it as a reference in my clan's forum's review section for anyone searching for a new headset. Getting the review mutilated isn't helping much.

Tags: Add Tags