1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Dec 2010.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@S.Frog like I said, they're niggles rather than complaints. I have intention of changing it.

As for the foam idea ....maybe, but it would ruin the asthetics!

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@Hakuren... Forgetting the fact that the keyboard you mention has none of the current modern features, it is one of the ugliest keyboards I have laid my eyes on and wouldn't use it to beat an annoying idiot to death with.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

keyboards are so much a personal choice that its difficult to decide which is best... I think this is probably a good one for the price.

not all mechanical keys are noisy... but many who prefer mechanical keys like them noisy.

4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Article number 11 in a series of poor reviews.

Where is the...
    1) LCD screen
    2) Windows key lockout
    3) dedicated macro keys
    4) Video/Audio control keys

This KB *WAS* the best, like 5 or 6 years ago.

While I doubt it is true, I HOPE you guys are getting kickbacks and having some mad amount of euros deposited in a secret Cayman account for these reviews, otherwise I am thinking that the guy who delivers vodka next door keeps "losing" shipments of his product.

Yours in LCD Information is Priceless Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

5. kempez

kempez modding again!

So your gaming and here's why you don't need any of those:

1) LCD screen

Just...why? Who looks at their LCD screen whilst in a game?

2) Windows key lockout

Have never seen this as an issue in 6+ years of proper online gaming

3) dedicated macro keys

Bind to any one of the hundreds on the keyboard? Plus, a lot of ladders don't allow macro keys

4) Video/Audio control keys

A good point, but frankly, I just take my headset off ;)

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

OK, just trying to help. :)

I thought there wasn't much point writing an article that was only readable for a day or two then disappeared from the main page. Typing Razor in to the main page search for example doesn't bring up the recent Best Gaming Headset article where you recommended the Razor Carcharias.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why would anyone want to have ugly TS3 or Vent OSD covering up your game screen? why would anyone want to have a FPS number covering up a corner of your game screen?

LCD on keyboards massively decreases clutter on your screen, once you've gotten used to having that bit of extra information, you won't want to go back.

i do agree with Windows key lockout, i've never used it on my G15.

8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

MaximumPC (U.S. magazine) says the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is so who am I to believe.....

Personally I'm very interested in the mechanical feature of the Blackwidow and the backlighting.

--------------------------------------

mrbens, maybe you should type razer and not razor and you'll get the search results your looking for. ;)

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

How on earth could that keyboard be described as ergonomic, especially when compared to keyboards like the MS Ergonomic series?
    Which although odd at first, I have to say are probably the best and most comfortable keyboards I've ever used, for gaming or otherwise.

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

But if I'm on vent or something, I set it running whilst gaming and close it when I'm not. During a clan match or a PCW, there's no time to faff around with vent!

FPS numbers - hmmm well only time I had those was when I was reviewing hardware, couldn't care less what my FPS is whilst I'm in a game. Occassionally I would switch it on in-game in CSS, but just to check ping or tickrate, then it would go straight off. I'd certainly never enable an FPS counter whilst in a competitive match

11. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

This is an example of how the quality of bit-tech articles are declining and why I'll rely on CPC publications for my advice. There is no comparison to the X4 at all, despite it's recommended stamp from BT and that it's well thought of by the CPC mag. Was this review written in 2009, or has someone revived the article? Come on guys, sort this out..

12. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Ill stick with my G15. It has more features and I like the way it feels.
    The Keyboard I had before it was the M$ Sidewinder and it failed in less than a year.

13. kempez

kempez modding again!

So you're going to rely on the publication that is owned by the exact same company, instead of bit-tech? Interesting take on that.

I mean, far be it for Bit-Tech staff to have their own opinion of their favourite keyboard! :duh:

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

*sigh* you are not getting my point. it's all well and good if YOU do those things, you can't really dismiss other people's preferences. (StarDagger's in this case) for example, some people prefer hardcore mode of a game due to it takes away everything on screen, making the game feel much cleaner, while some people game to have as much information onscreen as possible.

my point is LCD on keyboards decrease clutter on-screen. clutter such as overlay by voice chat programs, overlay about hardware information and overlay about FPS. and it offers a different level of information while you are in full-screen gaming.

15. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

am I the only one who wants a WHITE back-lit keyboard? I don't need it to be a stupid looking apple product either, I just want a solid keyboard with white back-lit keys. No frills, no worthless extras... To me white is far easier to look at that red or blue or even green... I get so tired of these colors... I know there are white options out there but I've yet to see one that has good enough reviews for me to spend the premium on, and until I do I'm going to continue to use my old Logitech mechanical keystroke, its been solid and responsive for about 4-5 years and I wouldn't trade it for less than amazing.

My mouse is blue and the second my warranty expires you best believe I'll be taking it apart to replace that stupid blue LED with a white one...

Last edited: 8 Dec 2010
  16. St3v30

St3v30 What's a Dremel?

I don't know about anyone else but I love my SteelSeries 7G. Best built keyboard imho. This things will never wear out and everything is super responsive. I realize the one listed is probably less than half its cost but the 7G is an amazing keyboard.

17. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Personally i couldnt care less about theese so called gaming keyboards. Ive used MS Natural keyboards for ever and the last few years ive had their Natural 4000 for me theres nothing better and it has never let me down in gaming or any other aplication either.

It doesnt have lights, macros, 500 extra buttons or anything else it just does the job the way i like it.

18. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Umm, you do realise that bit-tech and CPC are written by the same people?

For example, if you look at the top of this article, you'll see it was written by Antony Leather (who also wrote the recent keyboard group test in CPC).

19. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

lol... Cheesecake

20. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

OK, I have a question for you people out there.

Has anyone noticed a significant difference when moving from a traditional UK keyboard (large square-ish 'Enter' key) to the more usual slime version?

I am asking this as it may be a significant thing for me to consider when updating to my next keyboard.
    Thanks.

Tags: Add Tags