1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Mouse?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Dec 2009.

1. Furioushamster

Furioushamster Is there an officer, problem?

Taste is taste and you can't argue with that, but I think many of these companies make their mouses to complicated, flimsey and brittle.

I like my G5 (or an MX518) most because it's just a solid mouse that has, for me, all the buttons I need. The buttons are well placed and have a solid feel to them. Also, who needs 5000 DPI? Yes, it's nice to have and I'm not going to argue with that, but who is actually going to use it? A G5 has 2000 DPI and I generally use it at 1000 tops.

Shapewise, the G5 is just a fullsize mouse that has perfect ergo's, which I find lacking in the Razer mouses a bit. Also the G9 is too small and blocky and feels like a brick in my hands without any relief on your handpalms. It fatigues my hand a little after gaming with it for a period of time.

I think gaming mouses aren't particularly a market to overdevelop since there are so many good mouse designs out already. MX518 and G5 for instance, or a Razer Copperhead/Diamondback (which is almost the same as the newer models they've been putting out). If you're going to do a test to decide which is the best, you should include the ones that are most used and loved.

Also, it's not like every gamer uses a 'gaming mouse'. I know a lot of people still using their old thrusty Microsoft LM6000 laser, or a Logitech MX1000 wireless. There's also the ones that use 'gaming mouses' for all day purposes. I love to have controlable DPI levels for 3D imaging and photoshop work, and so do many others.

All in all I think Bit-Tech makes an excellent review, but they should've thought about their old classics.

2. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Any of these mice usable by left handers?

3. JAMF

JAMF What's a Dremel?

Razer support doesn't ship spare parts, so a big minus for that. Iwould have liked to order a USB cable for the Copperhead, but no go from Razer. That's a "no buy" in the future.

4. JAMF

JAMF What's a Dremel?

Looks like only the Genius is, but you might be better of with Logitech's MX610 (LH) or G3 (ambidexterous)

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Being lucky enough to be in a long running clan with QPAD sponsoring, I got one of the 5K's after a weekend with the team and we played with them whilst on the trip. They are fantastically comfortable and glide like butter, especially over the QPAD cloth surfaces of which I also have one of.

Talking to our contact (who is also a friend of most of the members) he wasn't sure (they weren't in production fully then) but guessed they would cost more in the region of £50. I would whole heartedly recommend it as I finally got a chance to move away from the Intellimouse V3.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

How are the thumb buttons on the Deathadder?

7. darkb

darkb What's a Dremel?

What I want to know, Is why isn't the G500 included ? It costs 10% more than the Deathadder where I live, and i'm not sure which to pick.. Though the free glide scroll mode on new logitech mice is rather addictive.

8. MathiasLM

MathiasLM What's a Dremel?

Having used the 1st generation Deathadder since it was released, I agree.

9. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I have a Mamba and the battery doesn't last a day, Deathadder is defo the best buy.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I have to agree with other comments about the DeathAdder. Had mine for ages and have never felt the urge to change it.

11. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I can only speak for myself, but for me a mouse is worthless if I can't grip it properly. I used an mx518 for ages, and it is very easy to grip. I then bought a G9 and could not grip it for love nor money. I tried both shells and neither one felt comfortable. I've gone back to the 518.

12. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Ikari Optical or MX518 Cheesecake!

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

No Microsoft sidewinder X8 ?
    Shame on you, it's an amazing mouse.

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

On my old one, slightly mushy, but with a very definite click, still nearly impossible to press by accident. Could be slightly larger though - but then, my hand happens to be larger than average and I find the DeathAdder borderline just nice, nearly too small.

15. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

no logitech g500 ?, or g5 (which is better than most of gaming mice in the review despite its age)

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

It's amazing how one little question can open up a can of worm's.

This question is all about personnel preference. I went the long and expensive route and bought and tried almost every mouse available but still came back to two mice namely being the G5 by logitiech and the Deathadder made by Razer.

In the ideal world you should be able to walk into a PC shop and try the feel of each one out, but could you imagine doing that. By the first week every one out on the shop floor would be stolen.

But it's not just about the feel you have to worry about, it's also the settings DPI etc.

I can honestly say its all about trial and error in finding the right mouse, oh we can suggest a mouse.

I can remember going on holiday a few back to Vancouver they had this PC shop, privately owned and they had every style of keyboard and mouse out for everyone to try. Hence I tried a gamepad there and still use it today.

The 3 best I have used to my own personnel liking was the G5, MX518 and the Deathadder, so my friend you can take in the suggestions but eventually you will find your own trusted mouse to your liking.

17. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

So nothing that was previously reviewed was mentioned? Then it's not a real good roundup because you reviewed most of the better mice separately. No Icari laser, no Sidewinder X8, no Razer Mamba c'mon.

18. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I disagree with Bit-Tech and many other sites who continue to do this sort of review. You always include several mice that no one would seriously consider and then omit several that people actually want to know about. You say the only real difference between the G9 and the G9x is the DPi but make no mention of the G9 being a much better value product due to it being around £25 cheaper. I can understand the Mamba from Razer being omitted asit is super expensive. But what about the X8 from Microsoft, the Ikari is also missing along with the brand new G500 from Logitech which are all around the same price as your beloved DeathAdder. And that brings me on to your PERSONAL opinions that bias these reviews. You mention that the DeathAdder has no weight system which every manufacturer sees as a major componant in their new high end gaming mice and you don't knock it down for this... why? because YOU like the way it feels. Personally I feel the DeathAdder is light and plastic feeling with no real quality and I wouldn't want to pay more than £15-£20 for it.

19. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Which is why you aren't a writer of a respected site.

20. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I know most gamers swear that the mouse must be corded... but I can't stand them! Why not even one wireless mouse in this review?

Tags: Add Tags