1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux What is this Linux thing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 27 Jul 2006.

1. Fophillips

Fophillips New Member

The only way it can be, by not being free.

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

3. Fophillips

Fophillips New Member

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Losing the window controls is a sure sign of not having a theme for Compiz/Beryl installed.

Look for "emerald" in your repository. It's the window decorator for Compiz Fusion.
    Then find yourself a theme you like at Gnome-Look or KDE-Look.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

just had a look at that unixtoolbox you mentioned, and i have to say its a great lil resource, but i gave a mate the link to the guide as hes a bit cuirious about linux (maybe i played a part there) and he said the screenshot links you have placed no longer have the images stored on the server

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, the server glitched last saturday, which made it unavailable. It's fixed already and the images are showing to me tough.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've had people say to me (and me myself) that they miss Winamp, whereas I was looking for a very lightweight media player, but audacious doesn't have a library.

So I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=680736 which is for Ubuntu but can be easily transferred to other distros.

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

I did miss winAMP for quite some time but I could never like Audacious as it has some of the weirdest bugs (playlist window 'running away' from the mouse pointer, etc) in the end I've found happiness with a slightly tweaked version of Consonance. It was built by a guy in the Archlinux community and very light and built with gtk+ so it's perfect for light DE's, only change I made was to add audioscrobbler support (still buggy but I've only been playing with it for a couple of days).

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Mostly I play media from my FS, through VLC with the ncurses (terminal) interface... That or AmaroK.

10. Fophillips

Fophillips New Member

I did use moc but I found it to be a little lacking in features, now I use AmaroK and couldn’t be happier :)

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i normally use amarok but im giving decibel a try, if i can get it to run

12. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 New Member

I use amarok but if winamp is you thing try xmms, it supposed to use winamps skins.

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Added some tags, and a couple of updates... I should really do a big one...

Damn you job!

14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I just got ubuntu up and running (wanted to use my wireless apple keyboard without issues) and found this guide for installing from a usb drive to be particularly handy.

15. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke New Member

Just installed ubuntu to give it a whirl, I tried Debian years back but lack of internet connection kind of hampered the whole process. Everything seems to be running pretty smoothly but I've got a problem with getting sound from youtube videos. Im assuming its the flash plugin, i've tried a couple different fixes but nothings worked, or atleast nothing that I understand yet. Im working off Firefox 3.0, a couple things have suggested editing firefoxrc but I honestly can't find it anywhere. Any tips?

edit: Fixed! killall pulseaudio . Is there any reason to not remove pulse audio?

Last edited: 14 Dec 2008
  16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Because the dependancy tree is locked with it. They really need to kill off pulseaudio, even the guy who makes it says it's not ready yet

17. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke New Member

Im trying to get multiple audio streams working, I installed esound but no options in the sound config?

edit:Fixed again but in a kind of round about way. using different audio packages for browser and music player. Got EsounD appearing in sound preference but wouldn't work.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2008
  18. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Even though it is not Linux only I really believe XBMC should be on this list. It is the best Media Center software I have used up to now. Simple, easy to use and yet extremely powerful, plus it looks good. And it works on Linux, right. ;)

19. Cjshuck

Cjshuck New Member

So what things would I not be able to have if I decided to get Linux?

20. Cjshuck

Cjshuck New Member

As in what things on Windows would no longer be available. (Sorry I didn't explain it very well)