1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What is your work computer spec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbungle, 4 Mar 2011.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Current work pc must be my school laptop. HP 2710p Tablet, C2D 1,2gHz, 4 gigs of ram, built in Intel graphics HD3100 or something like that.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Dell Precision 390

C2D E6300@1.86GHz
    8GB RAM
    Nvidia Quadro FX3450
    160GB HDD
    Win 7 Pro

Works fine with Solidworks 2011 (I'm a design engineer now).

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

For light office work(word) and constant net surfing:

C2D E3200@2.4
    2gb RAM
    Nvidia 8400 GS
    Win XP

This is the replacement of one that had been rattling away for just over ten years! When the boss saw how much quicker and easy it was to start up/run/shut down, he went and replaced the other two in the office with i5-750's + 4Gb RAM...all custom built.

4. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Intel C2D E6550@2.33GHz
    4GB RAM
    Radeon x550
    500GB HDD
    Win XP
    need to upgrade to w7, but I dread to think about all the configuring - it took me 2 years to work out all the kinks from my current installation.

On the other hand my colleague is stuck with P4, the amount of swearing coming from that side of the room is extraordinary :lol:.

5. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Since I'm in uni, I'll just run down most of the machines there...

We used to have labs outfitted with some older Dell machines.
    P4 2.4GHz, 1 GB DDR1, low end graphics of unknown make, Win XP

Last semester they were all upgraded to brand new Dell Optiplex 980x, mix of tower and SFF cases
    i5 670
    4 GB DDR3
    Intel's integrated graphics

Pretty strong machines
    But the dumb part? Even thought the machines came with Win 7 64-bit licences, they chose to roll out XP 32-bit on them due to being too lazy to configure the systems properly :wallbash::wallbash:
    Screens are still the same paltry mix of 17" Dell and Phillips TFT screens.
    Used mostly for VS2005. Yes, we're VERY advanced for a polytech of computer science :eyebrow:

For do-it-at-home work, it's either my sig rig or my notebook (with XP emulated in virtualbox to run bloody VisualStudio)

6. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

22'' I Mac
    Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz
    4 GB SODIMM DDR2 667mhz
    500gb HDD

OS 10.6
    Windows 7 Virtual Machine.

Im an IT Technicain...and i disslike Macs : (

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The worst part is the network. If the network traffic is quite heavy, it slows down Outlook. When Outlook starts to slow down, it drags the rest of my PC with it because it's such a bloated piece of crap. If I was running the IT systems, we'd all have thin clients hanging off some seriously beefy local servers and gigabit ethernet.

Oh, and I wouldn't stick the mail server for South Wales in Peterborough :duh:; I'd stick it in - gasp - South Wales. If I send a mail to my buddy sat next to me, he'll get it in five minutes time - maybe longer if his surname is further down the alphabet than mine. If I send him an email from my personal phone to his personal phone (both using gmail), it arrives within a few seconds.