1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Kills A Game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greentrident, 16 Jan 2016.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

* Microtransactions (Cosmetics are fine, but when you can purchase things such as boosters that give unfair advantage is where I draw the line)
    * Day 1 DLC (Includes store exclusive dlc)
    * DLC - Majority lack and depth and are purely cosmetic (looking at you Payday 2)
    * Online Only - Sim City / Diablo 3 anyone?
    * Intro videos - I don't want to spend 5 minutes watching the same ******** each time I load up the game. Either make it a watch once per install or give us the option to disable it. For now we have to go digging around the web for a way to block it which might also break the game
    * Cut Scenes - let us skip them FFS... and not in such convoluted ways (Hold Shift + LMB while typing out the entire EULA from memory, whilst playing a harmonica, singing amazing grace and farting out the rhythm of star spangled banner. All while giving the game co CEO and handjob)
    * Casual-izing gameplay - WoW used to be great, made you actually WORK for what you wanted and it kept millions happy. Now they've dumbed it down so much they give you BJ's begging you not to leave them like their daddy did.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This is something that perhaps is pertinent to me and my medical conditions.
    Just started playing Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, not my normal fair but though after Witcher 3 I would give it a whirl and it was cheap.
    But there are far to many button combinations that sorely test the dexterity or lack of it in my fingers. It seems L Ctrl plays a big part in this game and it is just to damn awkward to use for any length of time.
    But I also have problems remembering what combo does what as again there seem so many.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Except the final boss in Crysis 3 ended with a QTE that comes out of nowhere, isn't telegraphed in any way and instantly fails if you miss the really narrow timing window.

That was dumb, it took three or four attempts before I realised that after two minutes of cut scene I had to press the fire button once when everything including aiming was being done by the game.

Dumb dumb dumb.

Crysis and Warhead actually head some pretty good bosses, the Alien Mech in Warhead that you face as part of a whole squad of Nano Suit guys in particular.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

the 'you must lose' boss fights annoy me... especially in [j]RPGs... Spend a few tries, thinking you've done something wrong or need to grind a bit more, only to learn you are supposed to lose...

That and post boss cutscenes showing you getting pwned by the very boss you've just been fighting...

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Skinner Box mechanics used in pretty much every MMO. Grind equals reward whether it's levelling, daily missions, achievements, collections et al. You can usually pay to skip some of the grind but it means spending money to shorten your own game time.