1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What Makes You Quit Multiplayer Games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2009.

1. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

It's the grind that does for me in the end. At the beginning I don't mind, because I'm learning about the game mechanics and exploring the game-world. But after a while it all becomes too much of a slog for little-to-no, or the same, reward.

For this reason I've never got beyond level 40 in WoW. I've also just started playing Eve and just started to get bored with that too, as I reach personal goals like owning a Battlecruiser and being able to do L3 missions.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

See for me, total opposite :D
    Constantly playing something lately :)

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

personally i find if the game is good, the longer i play the more i get into it. tbh i cant see myself every tiring of TF2. just too many classes and game types, it produces endless variants. with my 'clan' i end up playing badwater over and over again, because if you have good organised players on each side it just never gets old.

"get a sentry on that roof before they get up there! ah too late - spy camping up there already. ok next time we need to be first up!"

4. ambrose

ambrose What's a Dremel?

i have played cod4 multi for 336hours and 49 minuets so far..... with 43238 kills. and i will probably leave it for good on november 10 :D depends alot on the servers though. i still havent patched cos all the good servers aren't patched.

5. chumbucket843

chumbucket843 What's a Dremel?

^^ haha i have a month on my xbox.100k kills

i eventually quit MP in some games because it ends up being the same thing over and over. thats especially true with cod4.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Hear hear. My friend just quit WoW for similar reasons, and I suspect once I get to raiding Trial of the Crusader (which looks rather boring) I'll quit too.

7. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

The question you ask Joe isnt going to have the one universal answer your looking for - its many different reasons and circumstances.

I can only offer my experience;

1) Time.
    Time is a major factor for lots of people, they get into a game only to find their unable to play as much as they like and its like a relationship - over time there is distance created and you forget the things that drew you to it. Sometimes when you come back you find your not as good as you were or the things you liked before dont have the same appeal.

2)
    Money. Some games like WOW require monthly subscriptions or more money being invested into it for whatever reason (add-on packs, extra maps etc etc) and people get tired of shelling out money simply for something they dont really want when they are content with what they are doing there and then which inturn suffers at times as other players they gained the most enjoyment with actually decide to get these added extras....which brings me to my next point:

3) People;
    The people you play with make a big difference, playing WOW is no fun on your own or many online games for that matter. I play Gears 2 on my own allot but I dont ever feel like im truely enjoying it as much as I use to. The people I use to play with have moved onto other things and it makes me feel like im left behind or clinging onto something when others have moved on. Also its not as enjoyable for some on their own

4)Boredom;
    Boredom sets in for everyone at some point - You find your playing a game and you dont know why anymore because you know everything there is to know about it, you have played it through many times and it just doesnt offer the same "wow" factor or "fun" factor anymore.

5) Frustration;
    Sometimes people like a game but wont stand the certain elements of the game - intentional or not. I can bring my example of Gears of War 2 into this; Its a great game when its working the way it should but thats a rare thing. The game lags, is inconsistant and I find a shot to the head is hit or miss on whether it will kill someone or not. Such things have caused me frustration and made me drop the pad or quit games simply because I am not willing to stand for that. Everything you can do is right yet the game itself is broken leading to frustration and no chance in hell.
    Others may experience this in other ways, COD4's last stand perk I believe or that martydom one where they drop the grenade on death - that really pisses people off and sometimes a game has an element of that which is a huge downer for some people and cause them to quit.

6)Sequels;
    As you say sequels may come out which draw the users away onto a fresh challenge and another arena to test their skills in or another chance to excel at another game. It may have the necessary tweaks or changes players wanted and they may feel it is a better game due to this, enough for the switch.

7) Other games;
    Other games may come out that simply draw the players attention away and they may become engrossed with them instead and opt to go devote their attention there. I thought command and conquer was great until warcraft 3 came out and then I dropped CnC like a bomb and went with Warcraft 3 as it was a better RTS. Better franchises draw players away.

8)Life:
    Life may do this and its probably a big reason. Studies, relationships, social life outside of their bedroom etc. Lots of things can. I know for me since im buying a house, moving positions at my job and having to learn new things, travel by pedal bike allot more this is all having affect on me meaning I have less time as other areas of life keep me more busy and are more important.

The question you ask is like asking how long is a piece of string as theres lots of different individual answers for every person.

hows that?

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

People: Half the reason I don't play many games at all is because I have to talk to people. It's a necessity for me.

That said, I am still addicted to COD4, if only because of Airstrike Rape.

9. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

BF2 : Project Reality. Updates often enough, team play... just don't come on if you aren't prepared to spend the time to train (we're talking atleast a good day of learning the "ropes") and cooperate with your squad.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

main reason i quit was because of those gamers that make exploit of FPS switching mechanic. eg. Crysis switches between speed mode and armour mode so frequent, im 100% sure he's using some sort of keyboard macro. Counter-Strike switches between knife and gun for faster run.

gaming is supposed to be a few people playing together for fun, those people clearly see it differently.

and lack of friends to play with me. what's the difference in playing along in a game (be it FPS/RTS, don't play other games online) when the opponent is computer or human? for me, the main difference is the ability to be able to talk to them after a game, over the internet you sure can't do it.

i still play LAN coop games such as L4D or CoDWaW Zombie mode, and CnC3 or Sins of Solar Empire. that's it, rarely game online due to it becomes repetitive and boring when everyone are using exploits.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

LAN>Online honestly.

Just playing with friends on a good RTS or an FPS and being able to chat and just enjoy the time is a great experience.

12. Adder

Adder Gamer,OCer,Modder

I've quit MMOs for various reasons. Some were RL issues like the ex wanted me to spend more time with her and less on the PC (UO), or a general lack of funds which meant giving up the internet connection and hence the games (DAoC). Some MMOs I've quit due to clans/guilds breaking up &/or longtime online friends leaving the game (EQ). On at least one ocassion, I quit because the game became more like work than an enjoyable game (founder and leader of a large guild with very little help from officers (EQ2). The last game that I quit (although I do keep the sub active because I expect to return with the new expansion, at least for a while) was due to a dumbing-down of the game and the total disregard by the devs for the major fluff elements which I consider to be quite important for immersion in a game, AND my kinship (again founder and leader) split in a rather ugly manner which alienated me from many good friends (LOTRO).

I'm currently playing EVE, which isn't really an MMO type that I would normally try, but my brother talked me into giving it a go and I'm glad he did. EVE appears to be on the right track to keep me interested for a LONG time - Dominion, Incarna, Dust 514 (with housing!), New Eden... Here's hoping.

Tags: Add Tags