1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What memeory do i choose for my new core i7 system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Styggen, 17 Dec 2008.

1. Styggen

Styggen What's a Dremel?

I'm kinda in a rush,as i'm acctualy 10 clicks away from ordering a new pc, hoping i'll recive it before x-mas eve!

So I was wonder,what kinda ram do i pick :

1. OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1333MHz 6GB KIT (3x Platinum Z3 XTC 2GB, CL7-7-7-20, 1.65 Volts, 240pin)

2. OCZ DDR3 6 GB Gold XTC 1600MHz (3x 2048 MB, CL 8-8-8-24 v1.65)

3. OCZ DDR3 6 GB Intel® Extreme Low-Voltage (PC3-10666 3x2048MB 1333MHz. (7.7.7.20))

from cheapest to most expensive, price diffrence isn't huge.
    Anyways i'll mostly use the PC for gaming, and i might clock it abit.

And this is where my dilemma comes into play,because i'm ordering from 1 store and they are building it for me (Part of the "deal" they gave me). And basiclly it only contains the 2 first rams, and my question is does it make a huge diffrence whether the ram is 1.65 or 1.5 (Low-voltage ram)?

I know it might for the extreme overclockers and such, but i'm not that type. I might overclock it abit tho, and i know the max voltage is 1.65 on the core i7 x58 chipset systems.

So how bad is it to choose a 1.65v ram over a 1.5v ram? And if i absolutely wanna overclock it,can't the ram just be 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz? (Option 2 instead if nr1).

Sorry for the terrible english, and sorry for being a total noob at this

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

A lower starting voltage may give better overclocking headroom. I haven't done any overclocking with the new i7's.
    to be totally honest a lot of the ram experts are asleep right now. If you can manage, wait till tomorrow for them to see this and post some advice.
    Unless there is someone in North America who has some experince with the newer stuff.

I would just get the cheaper stuff if it was me.

3. liquidocean

liquidocean What's a Dremel?

im running the 1.3kMHz tri-chan XTC platinum kit from OCZ and love it.
    runs at its rated settings and voltage beautifully. offers a bit more more performance than standard 1kMHz memory and is still supported by the 920 chip without OCing, and is a bit cheaper than 1.6kMHz, at least where I was buying.
    had OCZ memory in my previous comp that is still running flawlessy for several years, so I'd recommend them any day

edit: if you want to overclock big you should spring for 1600 ram. if only mild overclocks the 1333 should do, as is my plan.
    since intel says no to dram voltage over 1.65, if you have to bump it higher to reach higher freqs you're technically putting your cpu at more risk than you already are by overclocking the cpu.
    if you already have 1600mhz ram that runs at 1.65, you eliminate the risk that lower clocked ram might not make those frequencies at the same voltage.
    depends on the modules you get and how well they overclock

GL

Last edited: 17 Dec 2008
  4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

What is that? :p

(sorry just had to...)

5. liquidocean

liquidocean What's a Dremel?

1.3kMHz = 1300 Megahertz

k = kilo = 1000

MHz = Megahertz

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I think your looking for Gigahertz?

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yea, that's what I meant... You don't say 1kkB when you mean 1000kB, you say 1MB.