1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 What model Blu-ray drive is this?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Invictus., 28 Aug 2013.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

The reason I'm asking here rather than online is that I'm slightly confused to put it simply.

My 60gb PS3 (launch model) YLOD'd a while back now. I got that sorted and worked for a while and now the blu-ray drive has given up the ghost, I first thought it was the cable as the blue rigid bit fell off before and I got a new one, still not working. So now I'm looking at replacing the whole drive and moving the control board over as you have to do. Now this is where I'm stumped, looking online 60GB CHECH03 models the control boards are visable without dismantling the drive (aka like the following image)

[​IMG]

However my drive looks like the following -

[​IMG]

With the control board behind the metal cover as seen here -

[​IMG]

So does anyone have an idea of what model drive this is to get an exact replacement rather than risk getting one "meant" for a 60GB PS3 when my stock one is totally different? Looking online this one appears to resemble a 40/80GB drive but confirmation if possible would be nice I just havent seen any mention of this kind of drive in a 60GB PS3.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The metal cover seems to be the 40/80GB ones. The metal covering was a later version I believe.
    To be honest, the quickest way to see if the control board has bitten the dust is to replace the laser head. Which is really cheap and much easier to deal with because the machines are tricky.

Just change out the laser head on your old drive. It should work unless the control board is dead.

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Yeah need to get the new drive first before looking at a fix with laser replacement or control board swap kinda thing, Was wanting to find out for sure kinda thing to make sure I dont waste £40 odd on a new drive. Also if its the control board then the whole console has hit the bucket as a new drive / board wont work at all which is annoying as I want to play NCAA again xD

Thanks for semi confirm on my suspicion that it looks like a 40/80GB drive. Regarding the issue with the drive is that it refuses to pull discs in at times or if it does it then doesnt spin up or spit them back up (need to dismantle to get disc back kinda thing) It worked for a good 3-4 months after YLOD repair (did the "oven" method as it works better than a hair dryer) then when I got back home just died.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If it won't eat the disc it might be a mechanical issue, which means you'd need a new drive sans control board. But, it could also be the laser head, crack it open and see what happens.