1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks What NAS to use? (with PS3/Xbox/Mac)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exavier412, 21 Oct 2008.

1. exavier412

exavier412 New Member

I'm looking to get A NAS Hard Drive that I can stream media to my PS3 with. Does anyone have any recommendations for this? Ideally I would like it to be 500GB or so, and have the capabilities of RAID 1 (I'm not too sure about the RAID numbers, I'm interested in the one that mirrors the drive on another drive, so that if one fails, one still works fine). I also would like it to be priced well, but of good quality. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    -Dylan

Also, if there are any of these out there with a bittorent client or something like that, that I can control via web interface or my mac, that would be sweet. For legal purposes only of course.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Zyxel NSA220. I have 2 x 500GB in Raid0 in mine and it works a treat. GigE ethernet port hooked up to a wireless router and it streams perfectly well to my PS3 and PC's. It also has ftp access, a print and web server and it's own torrent downloader. A damn good buy. You could set the drives up in Raid1 or JBOD, too. You can also plug in usb devices and add them as storage.

I'm suitably impressed with mine, as you can tell!

3. JesterQ

JesterQ New Member

you know it was looking at one of these to do everything you've just mentioned ! thanks for the recommendantion ..

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Btw, if anyone goes for this box, make sure it's running the latest firmware. When I got mine, it had a previous version which was okay, but the newer version offers a heap more stuff.

Ooh, hang on. Just noticed that's a newer version. I've had 2.20 for a while. I'll have to have a look at this!

5. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If you have an old box laying around you could use freenas as well.

6. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The Dlink-DS321 and DS323 are suppose to be the fastest for $100-150 mark, with a community out there for mods if you like to gwet your hands dirty.

Tags: