1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What new tech still excites you these days?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 5 Jun 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Here's a very general question for everyone, please list the new/upcoming tech that still excites you these days. It can be from any field of tech - gadget/PC/gaming/mobile/car/business etc. It doesn't have to be specific, I'm just wondering.

:) Thanks!

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Nice try, Asus marketing department.

:lol:

But really, I would have to say it's mostly the huge improvements in UI quality and responsiveness that we've seen lately in mobile devices.. Would love to see where it'll go from here.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just picked up an Arduino-a light hood for one of my tanks will be able to display daylight and moon phase patterns and I built it from a pile of resistors, leds and headers. It will even be able to get online and share its status when I finish...

General PCs are starting to stall out-moar cores and nothing that uses them but folding (which I can't do on my connection.) Custom purpose built machines are stating to intrigue me.

4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Bulldozer. I really wanna see some thing more competitive from AMD. And its so close! Heres Hoping :)
    And obviously IvyBridge when the time comes.

The Tegra 2 phones are definitely interesting! Haven't had a chance to try them out. Snapdragons already nippy so I want to see whats possible.

Really interested in getting a home media streaming network equipment at the moment, but I'm yet to see anything to set my world on fire.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

1. Bulldozer. More competition for intel in the market is never a bad thing. (I'm thinking of switching back and anything that will bring prices down is a bonus. Unless Bulldozer is better ofcourse...)

2. Next gen consoles. When these finally arrive, game devs will be able to ramp up the quality of in-game gfx, Ai, and just about everything. Seeing as console ports are now a fact of life, this will have a knock on bonus for us pc gamers.

3. The mass adoption of a low carbon emission means of transport (read electric cars). I'm not a eco minded person, but once this happens the eco-mentalists will finally shut up, lose momentum and implode. Or just go away.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Tablet space is still just getting started. Still waiting for it to really heat up. Yesterday at PCWorld, i was playing with Tegra 2 Android 3 tablets from 3 different makes (inc. Dell, Motorola), none of them are as smooth to use as display iPad 1! I am still eagerly waiting a good tablet that can beat a jailbroken iPad in smoothness and functionality.

For me as a hardware enthusiastic, bulldozer is something I am moderately excited about, hope it can at least match Intel's SNB CPU's.

Another hardware I am very interested to see is the next generation graphics architectures. With AMD's new 4 pipeline per module and nvidia's new architecture plus the new 28nm, everything will get a lot more interesting.

Today and tomorrow, I am excited about iOS 5 announcement. the jailbroken plugin MobileNotifier developer has been hired by Apple, it's a great implementation and hopefully will be integrated.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i still like looking at new coolers or case designs, thermal dynamics seems to entertain me more than anything else nowadays!

new hardware is always nice, but when you're still at the point you can max everything it loses its shine appeal tbh

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

With me it's always the motherboards and graphics cards.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

But I also forgot one thing and thats tablets. I sell them and I just love seeing the new ones coming in. I have the playbook from blackberry and they are just so more mobile than any netbook

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

10. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

SSD's -- basically the way storage should have gone years ago, IMHO.

Increasing ubiquity and bandwidth of Internet access -- I still feel the UK has a long way to go in this regard, though.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Definitely itching to find out how Bulldozer measures up, being firmly entrenched in the budget-mid range end it's of great importance to me since Intel simply cannot compete at the bottom end, price wise, but AMD have been sincerely lacking in grunt the last few years.

I'm very interested in how tablets are progressing, with a need to get my wife more involved with tech it's a pleasant, user friendly path to it. Just need some good windows based ones. Windows 8 seems to be addressing that somewhat though.

Case design is a big one for me; new ideas seem to very few and far between but frequently awesome when they come (Lan-Boy Air and Level10 aside of course)

12. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I'm still really excited by graphics, both in the desktop and mobile space. I'm really looking forward to Kepler and have already got my money saved up :p

I also love the fact you can now get a Geforce GT 525M which has 96 stream processors. That's a low-mid range Optimus Gpu that has power close to an 8800GT! that opens up a world of options as far as classic games go. Yeah you can't play Crysis 2 with all the eye candy on but you sure as he'll could pick up the original witcher and give it a blast! Can We have one in a 13" laptop please Asus!

I also love Nvidia'a recent move into phone/tablet chips. My GF has an Optimus 2X and it's awesome and I'm really looking forward to Kal-El, their demo so far looks awesome and you can see it's definitely a move in the right direction.

I dislike the whole Arm/x86 split that's going on at the moment. Anything that creates fragmentation is a bad thing in my opinion, even if it has meant that Intel have had to pull their socks up at the low power end.

In other areas I'm looking forward to Ivy Bridge (But may be buying into 2011 cos I need an upgrade off this AMD sooner rather than later, I'm not that excited about 4G mobile because at the end of the day, who wants a capped mobile connection that's faster than your uncapped landline connection. Just frustrating.

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

As mentioned by a few already, it has to be AMD Bulldozer, I've just got rid of all my X58 stuff in favour the 1100T. What also really has me exited is the new 990FX chipset and the cross hair V mobo. Tri SLI on an AMD rig....Yeah baby!!

Any Idea on release dates for it anyone? Bindi?

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Bulldozer intrigues me.

Also intreasted in tablets that are coming up as well as flexi E-ink displays

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:p

I'm serious though - because I talked to many people at Computex this year and more than half claimed that overall it was quite underwhelming for various reasons. The core of a PC is getting less diverse and thus, less interesting to some, with the shift towards fixed mobile devices that had limited customisation, one OS, and limited upgrade appeal. Such is the industry change. I just wonder how it affects the greater audience back at home.

bulldogjeff - C5F is any time now! Depends on distribution time and when the stores list it.

So I read a lot of people talk about Kal-El - would it be of interest having a mini-ITX board with a Kal-El on it, for Win 8? (100% hypothetical. I'm not in a position to influence product).

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Kal-el powered EEE pad would be sweet, even better if you could install a different OS on it too.

I agree with what you've said personally I dont like the move from PCs to mobile devices, that said i'm considering picking up a tablet in a few weeks / months time

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

For me my main passion is and will always by hardware, but so much is so very mundane these days, not enough crazy (afart from Asus, who forget to take their medication at times and things like that crazy 2011/1366 motherboard appear :p)

Where my interest lies these days though is in the world of robotics, and it is picking up massive speed, which is good for me as thats my degree :)

I'm basically set with my computer for now, eventhough it's an aging C2Q machine, it is not watercooled, so cool and quiet (and OC'd nicely), got 2 SSD's which has sped it up hugely, and my 5870 is still more than enough graphical power. My ast thing is to make it look all pretty, and then I think I'll be set untill late 2012/13, as the power we have today is more than enough for the next year or so.

Hence why my interests are moving to robotics, as it's a new and expanding field and the next 5 years are going to be very, very interesting...!

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Mobile devices I'm finding progressively more interesting. They are advancing very quickly, whereas PC tech is a bit meh. I think its because games aren't pushing PCs.

19. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Mobile devices mainly :)

How far we have come since I bought my first Nokia 3310. Now I can follow facebook, twitter, home email, work email, friends on latitude, look up places on earth, get to them with satnav, listen to music, stream videos...... ZOMG!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

SSd's and the next gen consoles