1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What res monitor for films and games?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikemorton, 11 Nov 2017.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Hi, I currently have an old Dell U2711 (2560x1440@59Hz), but am thinking of replacing it.

The intention is to get a monitor of 27" or thereabouts which will deliver a sharper image - and one which has G-Sync.

I'm not sure whether to stay at this resolution or make the move to 4K.

I enjoy playing games at as high settings as possible, and think I'm right in saying compromises would have to be made at 4K, even with a top-notch card like a 1080 Ti.

So - what's your advice? Does 4K deliver a big enough wow factor to make it worthwhile? Or is it best to stick to 1440 and play games with higher settings?

My system specs are:

CPU Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz
    Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology

RAM
    32.0GB Unknown @ 1199MHz (15-15-15-35)

Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X99-DELUXE II (SOCKET 2011)

Graphics
    DELL U2711 (2560x1440@59Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Storage
    238GB SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000 (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001-1NS164 (SATA)

TIA

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I have a 30" Dell at the moment (U3014) and I'd never dream of going to 4K for movies or games. The only reason I want such a high resolution is for productivity, so in the unlikely event I was to go 4K it wouldn't be for entertainment or recreation.

I've watched many 1080p movies on my Dell and I've never once thought "wow, this could use higher resolution." Also, games look amazing at 1600p, and the 980Ti is definitely stretched keeping some games at 60fps.

You'll get a variety of opinions here on the forum as some people don't care for gimmicks like 4K (myself being one, in case you didn't notice) whereas others prefer to have the latest and greatest tech. A good 27" display like the U2711 is difficult to upgrade from because it already puts you in a great position. If anything, you might want to go for a faster display rather than a larger one, but again I'm not convinced that it'll do anything meaningful to your gaming experience.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I agree with only wanting/needing 4k from a productivity angle (and even then I'm not bothered).

I've got a U2711 as well, not sure why you think it doesn't deliver a 'sharp' image, never been an issue with me, I also would think your 980ti would struggle with 4k.

Depending what kind of games you play, a faster display may be worth it (120hz+) as that would be a noticeable difference.

4. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Thanks for your replies - not quite what I expected, but welcome nonetheless. I had expected a few people to chip in and say how blown away they were by their 4k monitors, but not so!

Back to the Dell then. I like my U2711, but I do not love it.

The image doesn't look particularly sharp to my eyes (they're going downhill now, but were fine when I bought it), but worst of all is the fact that pure white just looks like dirty pale grey.

I think this is due to the super-rough anti-glare finish, which admittedly works as intended, but if I'm ever doing DIY and am short on sandpaper, my monitor screen will do just fine.

Anyway, it looks like I should almost certainly stay with 1440p and probably save my cash, so thanks again for your replies.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Thought about ultrawide? 34" 1440p?

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Might be worth playing around with the screen settings then, to get colours you prefer?
    Mine certainly feels very white hah

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

Have you given the screen a good clean? It could just be dirty.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would calibrate the monitor and make sure your graphical settings are correct if you think the image in not sharp.
    It sounds like something is off.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The 2711 has a horrid Anti Glare surface, I agree with Mike, which means it never looks great, it was a brilliant monitor ruined by the AG, I'd take reflections on a glossy monitor over that AG covering. I was never 100% happy with the screen due to that, doing docs with white shows it up the worst.

4k is a bind in some respects as the GPU grunt needed to drive it is high but it can look awesome, though rarely on PC, consumer electronics stuff made to display on 4k particularly with HDR, like UHD bluray, PS4, Amazon/Netflix look amazing, the PC is just OK as PC stuff is a bit behind the curve on this stuff (4k HDR).

4k on PC has its benefits in productivity though and of course films do look good on it but its all down to size really, bigger is better when it comes to films.

Just buy a big fancy telly, watch your movies on there, best place for it :) replace the U2711 though as you clearly get annoyed by the AG like me, many other don't seem to be bothered by it.

If you are feeling brave you can improve the 2711, make sure you find a good replacement coating first or you will end up sad like the guy in the below post.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1230911/removing-the-anti-glare-coating-on-u2711

Last edited: 12 Nov 2017
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Bear in mind that the U2711 has a CCFL backlight and they are known to degrade over time, losing brightness. If I was in your situation I'd definitely look into getting either a 27" or 30" LED backlit display.

I used to have a U3011 and the anti-glare coating was very noticeable. It's nowhere near as bad on the U3014.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm.

Personally, I think 4K for gaming is bloody brilliant, and used to get away with a 980Ti just fine - in fact, my brother's using it now for his 27" 4K monitor and he's as happy as a pig in poo. I've gone back to 30" Dells for my sim game PC and have really noticed the decrease in resolution, so I play on the 4K TV when I'm playing 'normally'.

Film wise, I don't notice anything above 1080p. Productivity wise, 4K can actually be a hindrance in my opinion - Windows scaling is still utter bollocks, and it's oh so easy to lose track of your mouse! A 30" 1600p screen is optimal for productivity I think.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

980Ti, Titan XM and 1070 are all sweet spots for 1440p gaming, IMO. I switched out my Titan XM in the summer for an XP but it was holding its own at 1440p, just. I was hitting 60 FPS with max settings in most games with drops to 40 odd. I didn't need to upgrade but do every two years so sod it.

4k is a nightmare in quite a few ways.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup RTS type games like the extra res, you get much more play area vs GUI on a 4k than a normal low res screen.

on a 40-43" 4k you don't need scaling, productivity, gaming and film win with one of those :D