1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What soundcard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sketchee, 1 Nov 2011.

1. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

So, I'm thinking of getting a soundcard. I'm trying to decide between the Xonar DG or DX. Obviously the DX is the better card, but it's £50 compared to £19 for the DG. I'm not bothered so much about music playback just more about gaming which I mostly do through headphones (JVC HA-RX700's).

I'd get the DX in a second, except for the lack of a headphone amp which the DG apparently has. I'm wondering how much of a difference this makes when gaming through headphones? I'm not an audiophile by any means, but the onboard-sound in BF3 through either speakers or headphones at the moment sounds a little off.

Waddyathink?

2. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

I can't say I have experience of the DX, but I've heard good things about the DG, definitely an excellent price for a card of its quality.
    If it's just for gaming you probably wouldn't really need the DG, I use an equivalent of the DG for Sibelius compositions and it works perfectly. The headphone amp will give extra clarity, and higher possible volumes for your headphones, so the DX will only really benefit you when it comes to speakers... Though both the DX and the DS:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/sub-100-gaming-sound-card-reviews/2
    will beat the DG when it comes to speakers. So if music quality on speakers is important to you, I'd go for DS or DX but if you want the a sound card thats good for headphones and easy on the pocket, the DG is the way to go.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've got the xonar DX personally, it's a wonderful card through headphones. Through a good set of headphones; The 3D surround modes do let you hear directional sound. (Although it is aided greatly by my Sennhesier headphones, which give a good 3d listening environment as is) - The sound is wonderful and clear, and the 7.1 surround "Mock up" mode allows a great deal of adjustment, as you can move individual speakers if the left/right balance feels off.

Also; Silence is deafening with this card. Most motherboard audio i've tried crackles in the background, but this is completely silent, there is next to no signal noise, so in the calm before the storm; you'll hear a pin drop, rather than beeping and chirping from the motherboard.

The only thing i'd warn you about is the Drivers themselves; If, for whatever reason, a game crashes, using DirectSound, with the Xear3D mode enabled (Reverse engineered Creative EAX) It'll loop the last 3ms of sound till the PC is restarted. It's unspeakably annoying. But it probably affects all Asus soundcards.

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Although you haven't stated it as a model you are intending to buy - I bought a Xonar DS last week to use with my HD555s.

I have a bit of buyers remorse because I feel that the headphone amp in the DG would probably have been quite benefical, but I chose the DS so I could tinker around with the OpAmps.

I'm not displeased with it in the slightest, just not sure I made the right choice.

Sounds nice, but mainly because my onboard was a bit of a lemon. The main thing I have been told is that my cheap Logitech mic is now legendary! With my old motherboard, people were always complaining that they couldn't hear me that well no matter what I did, so I had to sit with it pretty much in my mouth (not fun). That got better with a new motherboard. Now, they can hear EVERYTHING I do two rooms away! It's not even loud - its just so clear.

Still debating offloading it and trying out a DG but I haven't made my mind up. I looked into buying an additional headphone amp but it seems like a bit of an unnecessary fuss...

I'll stick with it for now I think, and see how it goes.

Try out the ASUS drivers first but they gave me issues. If you get a problem, try these. Worked a treat for me.

5. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

what about an astro mix amp works as a usb sound card if I remember correctly and will give great sound from onboard sound , doesn't take up room in your case , but it is about 100 notes.

sorry lg 3d mobile.

6. Sketchee

Therein lies the problem though, I very much doubt I'll get any value out of anything above the quality of the DG tbh, and that's why I'm a bit loathe to spend the £50 on the DX.

But one PCI slot is covered by my GFX card and the other has a wireless card occupying it. Anyone receommend a very cheap yet reliable PCI-E wireless card?

7. Sketchee

Shameless bump. I need a recommendation really, looking at something like the DG but pci-e or a cheap yet reliable wireless card in pci or pci-e x1 form.

Why can't they just make the damn DG pci-e! :wallbash: