1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motas, 4 Jan 2010.

1. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Hi I need some speakers and my onboard sound can use 7.1 systems. I am going to use it for games music and movies and I would like a 7.1 system. My maximum budget is $1000 but I would rather alot less. Would I need a sound card or would onboard be fine. Thanks.

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

With a reasonable budget I'd recommend a decent soundcard, offboard processor/amps and a reputable speaker package (in that order). I'd also urge 5.1 over 7.1 - you can do more with your budget and go for quality over quantity.

For your money I've heard good things about the Auzentech and X-Fi Soundcards, Onkyo Processors, though I can't help with the speakers. Speaker placement is most critical, google for 5.1 placement rather than just plonking them anywhere.

If you need specific help PM me - I work in the industry and can lend a hand.

3. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

You will benefit more from a expensive 2.1 setup than from a cheap 5.1 og 7.1 setup.

As always I recommend the Soundsticks II.
    They have very good sound, and they look cool. It is win-win.

4. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I have no idea about speakers but I think 5.1 would be best. My room is big enough to place them easily. I need something simple so I would prefer a complete set that can just be placed and plugged in rather than getting it all seperate. Thanks for your help.

5. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

If you want anything approaching decent sound quality, a seperate soundcard, AV Amp and speakers is a must. If you have a budget of $1000 (AUS?) this should be easily achievable.

If you really want the least hassle, then get a set of Logitech Z5500's or Pioneer DCS333's

6. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Ok I'm gonna check out some stuff at jb hifi an my local home theatre shop next time I'm near there. What brands are good and what should I be looking for. If I can't find anything at jb hifi I'll get the logitechs. Either way I'll need a sound card so what is recomended?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Logitech Z5500 will be more than enough power with that 10" sub!!!!

I use the Logitech x540 5.1 speakers and they are more than enough to fill any room. Very Loud, great sound quality. Almost as good as my £3000 Home cinema setup.

Sound Card, I would get Asus Xonar D2X 7.1

Simon

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Depending on what you are primarily using your computer for, I would agree with bigkingfun that looking at a 2.1 set up is a good idea, you spend more per speaker so get better speakers.

IME music sounds silly through a surround sound system so if you are playing music through it most of the time with occasional film you would be better with 2.1 as the rear speakers with often be un-used.

If, on the other hand, you are usually watch films (which sound awesome in surround) then definitely go with that and put up with a worse experience for music.

If you do decide you want 2.1s, might I suggest these? They aren't very expensive and really do sound very good. http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

9. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Thanks for everyones help. I'm going to get a set of 5.1 speakers and a sound card. I will probably get the logitechs unless I can find something better at the shops. Undecided on the sound card but the asus one sounds good.

10. appeage09

appeage09 What's a Dremel?

What speakers

A hardware decoder would be the better option for you if you dont wanna spend all the money on upgrading or buying a new system. Not sure what price range they run in.