1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 'What speeds should i get from x2 vertex in raid?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bruce_rob, 10 Oct 2011.

1. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

hi guys
    i am after a little advice, i am running a Asus M4N75TD NF 750a SLI AM3 Motherboard with a 1090t phenom x6 black edition cpu, i have got 2 vertex 2 ssd's, running on raid 0 what transfer rates should i be seeing?
    thanks rob

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Not sure mate, but you might get more replies if you change the tag to storage and the title to something like 'What speeds should i get from x2 vertex in raid?'

Sorry I couldn't help much

3. bruce_rob

HOw do i edit the tag and title i cant find it

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Click edit on you first post and then advanced. Should be on the top left. :)

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I get 1007.94 MB/s read and 380.53 MB/s write speeds from my cruicial m4's in raid 0.

Not sure if thats much help, but could be useful as a comparison. Pc takes 28secs from pressing the power button to being in windows and ready to use.

Check the pic in my profile page if you want full bench numbers

6. bruce_rob

I set the raid up using the onboard tool, did you do the same or have you got yours running on a raid card
    thanks rob

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I used my on board tools, no raid card. Im using a p67 sabertooth.

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

Ummmm... So you're actually suggesting the OP should compare their 2x 3Gb/s SSDs on, i believe, an 3Gb/s nVidia controller (which is less good than either a 3Gb/s intel or AMD one) to 2x 6Gb/s SSDs on a top notch 6Gb/s controller (as, forgetting the issues that a tiny minority of people have with SSDs on it, the SB controller is the best on board one going)?

That's hardly a reasonable comparison & even if the SSDs were identical, they'd appear to be a bit shonky between the two controllers...

Anyway, i can't instantly find any b/ms for a V2 on a 750a controller, but the as ssd results for a single 34nm 60GB on a 790 appear to be (based on the first results in test 4 here - though the OP in that thread doesn't appear to have allowed huge amounts of recovery time so they may be marginally higher on fresh drives) -

Seq. Read: 183MB/s
    Seq. Write: 90MB/s
    4K Read: 20.52MB/s
    4K Write: 58MB/s
    4K/64Thrd Read: 92MB/s
    4K/64Thrd Write: 58MB/s

(*much* slower than on either a half decent 3Gb/s intel or AMD controller)

Now, whilst the following is a theoretical set of figures, based upon how things usually work with the V2s, with R0, you can approximately double the sequential speeds (less a bit)...

Seq. Read: ~355MB/s
    Seq. Write: ~170MB/s

...the 4K QD1 read writes effectively will not change...

4K Read: ~20.5MB/s
    4K Write: ~58MB/s

...& you don't quite double the 4K QD64 reads & add ~2/3rds to the 4K QD64 writes

4K/64Thrd Read: ~170MB/s
    4K/64Thrd Write: ~97MB/s

So, assuming you've got 34nm V2s (the 25nm ones are noticeably slower) & a reasonable stripe size (either 64 or 128K) these last figures should be something like what you should be getting from your setup.

[Edit] for reference, just as some random figures from a google search (it's about showing there's a clear difference between controllers), on an ichr controller you'd be getting results akin to these for R0.

Seq. Read: 399.53MB/s
    Seq. Write: 185.64MB/s
    4K Read: 23.02MB/s
    4K Write: 69.83MB/s
    4K/64Thrd Read: 217.81MB/s
    4K/64Thrd Write: 172.56MB/s

[Edit 2] oh & i've not picked the 790 controller at random - it's simply that, afaik, it performs about the same as the 750a does.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  9. bruce_rob

Thanks for the info
    I will have a read through the thread you linked in, I will do some testing an let you guys k ow what the results are, I may need a hand to tweak the settings, I think I should be getting more than what I am now

10. PocketDemon

No worries - yeah, obviously everyone's mileage varies slightly & over b/ming any SSD will cause the results to get worse & worse... ...& although as there was nothing to directly link to b/m-wise, i'd be hugely suprised if they're out by any significant amount based on how the 3Gb/s SFs worked between single drives & R0 on the other controllers.

With AS SSD, you can lower its impact by reducing the size of the test considerably - there's no need for it, by default, writing 3-5GB of data per test (CDM is even worse)... &, of course, remember with the SFs that the AS SSD results will be significantly poorer than r.l. ones - well unless all you do is copy 100% compressed files on & off the thing which would be a little unusual.

Oh, & obviously those were the results with the 3Xnm V2s not the 2Xnm ones that were out at the beginning of this year - they (the 2Xnm) were a noticeable downgrade.

11. bruce_rob

im getting 240mbs read and 124mbs write, how can i tell what version of the vertex 2's i am running?
    thanks rob

12. PocketDemon

Mmmmm... Something's off here...

Well even with the slowest of the 2Xnm nand 60GB ones (there was an update to a different nand configuration post the initial issues being raised which improved things somewhat) you 'should' be getting at least ~270-80MB/s sequential reads & 210-20MB/s sequential writes in AS SSD.

i'd suggest a Secure Erase (SE) using this method (will obviously remove all data from the SSDs) & start again...

As to which ones you've got, there was a nand identity tool that could be used that was somewhere on the OCZ forum, however i can't see it for looking atm...

...if, having SE'd you test each drive in non-raid but with ahci enabled, you 'should' be getting the same results as the person who i'd linked to with 3Xnm ones.

What was certainly the case is that any V2s prior to Jan 2011 were definitely 3Xnm, & post that then it was luck of the draw - i'd bought mine last year so, other than noting what was being done to sort out people not being happy, i didn't need to remember anything 'that' specific.

The other option, if they're very new drives, would be to return them to the retailer (again having first SE'd them) & get a pair of Corsair F60s instead - other than possibly the f/w revision (as OCZ have had new f/ws out recently) these are the same as the original V2Es (the first V2s were 50GB with extra OP - E was for extra user capacity (or something similar)) &, afaik, only ever used 3Xnm nand.