1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable What tablet should I get

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 14 Jun 2013.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I was really lucky to bag my daughter a Samsung galaxy 5.0 wifi on this forum for a very cheap price and now I want one myself (it's my birthday soon and my pc is pretty much maxed out for my needs :) ).

I was just wondering which one would be best, I can get the same one my daughter has for £129 on tesco.com and at present can also get £20 off. They also have others at the same price.

Tesco's cheaper range of tablets

So is it one of the better ones at this price range?

I may even put up a wanted posted for one if anyone has a decent 2nd hand one.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2013
  2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Nobody got any views?

3. mra123

mra123 What's a Dremel?

The mother in law has the samsung tab 2 7" which is around this price. Has sd slot and is good I think for the price. 5" screen is but small for my eyes.

4. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

I don't have a tab (yet) but Micro Mart mag recently recommended the Google Nexus 7 for a 7 inch model and the Google Nexus 10 for a 10 inch but the next gen models are expected this year so as usual with tech stuff you just buy it now when you want it or play the waiting game and see if the price drops when the next gen comes out ;)

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I have a cobalt, i picked it up for 50 quid on boxing day. I'm not sure I'd recommend it at 80 quid though. I've used a few nexus 7s and really don't think it is worth getting anything other than that to be honest.
    The 80 is just a bit too big, and the screen is a bit *meh* I'm happy enough with mine, but I'm not sure I could recommend it at 80 quid. It wouldn't be a bad purchase though if you did pick it especially now they've patched the audio bug that affected skype, google hangouts and similar voip apps.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I had a voucher for £20 if I spent £100 at Tesco's so I bought a Galaxy Tab 2 for £129.99.

Very happy with it so far but trying not to play with it too much as it's supposed to be my birthday pressie.

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Good choice, not a bad tablet at all. You'll get sucked in to it pretty quickly, I'm always using mine. Depending on your usage I can recommend a few apps, after your birthday obviously

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That would be great thanks.

I'm looking at Micro SD cards at the moment primarily for watching movies that I have converted.

Does speed matter?

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've not really noticed any difference between my class 4 in my phone and my class 10 in the tab. To be honest, if your putting music and movies on the read speed is the only one that is going to matter.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
    I would buy a class 10 if there isn't a big price difference, but in my experience it doesn't really matter, I can record full HD content on my phone to class 4 SD card with no visible problems.

Vlc media player is a must if you watch converted content, especially if you use mkv. Other players are available, but vlc works well.
    Evernote is handy for notes
    Fing is good for seeing what's on your network, it is handy to keep an eye out
    Speed test.net app for broadband speeds
    Astrid tasks for tasks
    Tapatalk is fantastic for forum-ing if you do a lot of it.
    EBay
    Steam
    WiFi analyzer
    Imdb
    Hukd
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Torque is good if you have a Bluetooth obd reader to plug in to the car
    Shazam for telling you a track you hear on the radio
    Feedly

That's all at the minute off the top of head...

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If it were me I would pay a bit extra and get a sandisk just for the warranty.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

I have had a couple of mcro SD cards fail, sandisk were great for swapping it though when it did, (apart from the one that came from states as the EMEA site didn't recognize the serial number)

That said I'm impatient and bought mine from a CEX cos I couldn't be bothered to wait for delivery. I can't remember the brand, but it had a good warranty.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm that looks good for just a quid more or so more.

14. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The other has a 5 year warranty so it should be fine regardless, it's your call really, either will be fine I would bet.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm still debating on which one to get as well.

I think I'm fairly settled on the Nexus 10, but if the Nexus "11" or whatever it is has an SD slot, I would wait for that. Definitely going to get something before August in any case.

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I was considering a nexus of some sort as they are generally reviewed as better but it was at an increased cost.

I'm not too bothered about performance as long as it will play my ripped dvd's and have internet access etc.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nexus will never have an SD slot. Google wants you to use its cloud services.

ASUS 7" 16GB ME172V-1B071A MeMO - It pains me that Tesco can't get the name right *sigh*.

Our ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 (ME173X) should be out within weeks too - it's a big upgrade for around the same price.

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm maybe I should have waited, ah well too late now.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ahh sorry I didn't read most of the thread :p

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder