1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Woohoo, for the first time ever, I'm now rocking an ad blocker :)

Thanks bit-tech/dennis for the ad spam which pushed me over the edge ;)

And thanks for the tip, Pook. Rep+

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

So, it's now been a couple of days (and a couple of pages), and the only 'official' person to respond is one of the site's freelance contributors. Is anyone from the editorial or admin team following this thread, and is there any discussion going on behind the scenes?

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I know it's Dennis, not any on particular member of Bit Tech staff, but this is the feedback forum and I'm feeding back.

We'll never get the pre-Dennis forums back... that will never happen.

Full screen ads that actually black out the website, and actually stop you typing is just too far though.

Like I said... Dennis will only be interested in the click thru traffic and Google referrals... they won't give a donkey's cock about us regulars I'm afraid... so just adblock it people... enough is enough.

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I seriously doubt there is any discussion going on yet, Maybe we should all email Dennis about it that's how many emails?

One more rig to have the addblocker enabled and that every rig in this house :thumb:

5. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I'm afraid that, with the ads no longer being monitored, a rouge, malware-laced ad is gonna appear.

It happened at another forum.
    Sadly, it will more than likely happen here.

*rant* DENNIS PUBLISHING YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE MALWARE ON ALL OF YOUR SITES IF YOU DON'T KNOCK IT OFF!!!

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Just to add to the disappointment. I'm not totally opposed to the need for bit to make money, of course they need to, things cost. The pop-ups at the bottom are becoming excessive AND are totally irrelevant. This is a tech site, why in the name of ballsacks are ads for tyres, holidays and ****ing dresses coming up ffs?

As much as I don't wont to, adblock is now being put on.

Apophis54 and Teelzebub like this.
  7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Reinstalled my os just to find bit look like something you would find when streaming a game off iraqgoals.

I've had adblock on ever since that first ebay ad and it ain't coming off now no matter how many assurances are dolled out by the editor.

Screw dennis and the horse it rode in on.

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

It makes me glad that I only ever really browse from tapatalk on my phone. When I have a need to use my pc to browse the site the ads do annoy me. They don't when I use other sites though.
    As others have said, I don't mind ads on sites just make them
    a. Unobtrusive
    b. Not pop ups
    c. Relevant
    d. Not skim links

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Just thought I would say thankyou Dennis since I've had the addblocker on the pages seem to load quicker :thumb:

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. AmEv

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Anyone using Firefox should be using NoScript already as a matter of browser security.
    AdBlock, on the other hand is probably a matter of preference.

There's a lot of (justified) ire towards Dennis here; and I'm not sure whether it's fair or not when considering the staff who might suffer from all of this as collateral; but for anyone who doesn't feel right about blocking everything, here's my suggestion:

Use Firefox with NoScript (or an equivalent in Chrome) and do the following:
    - Set it to deny everything by default (best approach in general for browser security, but takes some getting used to)
    - Set it to allow bit-tech.net.

Now what happens when you visit Bit-Tech? The site itself works, but any cross-site scripting from ad agencies, ebay or whatever other flash/java-based ******** we don't want to see or execute will be blocked.
    Meanwhile, you can forego using AdBlock or disable it on bit-tech.net to allow the simple, gif-based banner ads to continue displaying.

With NoScript I haven't once been subjected to any of the ads that people have been complaining about on bit-tech over the past year or so.
    As I've said numerous times before - Nobody wants java/flash based ads. They're a disgusting nuisance and a security vulnerability. Banner ads are fine, but don't expect them to get clicked - Get an ad agency who pays for views instead of clicks.

I support bit-tech by allowing banner ads to display on the main site and forums. (I use AdBlock, but keep it disabled on bit-tech.net as a matter of principle)
    As much as it pains me to give revenue to Dennis, they're the ones paying the wages of people like Joe, Harry, Simon & Anthony here as well as paying for the hosting to keep this community up and running.
    Everything that isn't a banner ad is blocked at browser level and that will never change. I will not put up with that ********, but I don't want to block the site entirely from ad-based revenue.

Mechh69 likes this.
  12. AmEv

...I thought ads only worked if you clicked on them...?

Guess it depends on the ad provider...

I agree with you. Flash and Java based ads are an EXTREME vulnerability. VERY easy to swap the intended ad with a drive-by-installer-of-a-modified-Navashield banner.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Zurechial I can see your point, but I reason that if Dennis axed the forums and staff, it wouldn't be because of the lost banner revenue from a few dozen disgruntled regulars on the forum.

14. Pookeyhead

Well... all these ads appear because they monitor your browsing habits :) See my post above.

Been browsing for dresses? ;) I get hardware, car accessories, holidays and electronic equipment ads.

Well.. I did... prior to adblock.

15. Pookeyhead

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I want to see them look for completely different forms of revenue generation. There are other ways to make money without relying on ads, and especially the type of intrusive ads that plague bit tech now

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2a

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

You're probably right; I just don't want it on my conscience if this happens to negatively affect the guys writing for the site further down the road somehow.

I'm 100% behind giving Dennis the middle finger (right back at you, Felix) over their treatment of loyal site contributors with this stuff (and for me the CPC merger was a part of that; a cynical business move that benefited nobody but Dennis); but in trying to be as reasonable about it all as I can I'll admit to being perfectly okay with standard banner-image ads.
    I just won't tolerate the other stuff and that's why I take matters into my own hands with browser addons; and why I'd advocate that others do too.

18. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Thank You

Now using NoScript and no pop across adds.

+1 rep for you

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I would also recommend installing the Cookie Monster addon for Firefox.
    It offers NoScript-like domain-by-domain permissions for cookies. In other words, instead of the absolutely ridiculous default procedure of your browser accepting cookies from every website (or every underhanded ad agency) you come across online; it allows you to specify only the sites you want to accept cookies from; such as bit-tech for persistent logins and the like.

Restricting cookies should similarly prevent the ad company tracking your browser habits or anything else about you beyond each individual visit.

As far as I'm concerned, the functionality of NoScript & Cookie Monster should come as standard in all browsers in this day and age.

20. AmEv

Check out Ghostly.

A selective blocker for (not) tracking you.