1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What to do with this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMadDutchDude, 20 Jul 2018.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Hey,

I’ve recently acquired a server-grade board that has quad NICs and all that good stuff. It has a built in SAS/SATA controller and a total of 14 ports for terabytes upon terabytes of storage.

My question is, though, what on earth can I do with this system?! The board is an ASUS P9D-4/L if memory serves me rightly.

I want to run some kind of useful server on it, be it to host some stuff locally or to automate my house - anything from the lighting to CCTV to controlling sprinklers...

There’s a lot of potential, I’d imagine, though I haven’t a clue where to start with it. I have a 24 port switch that I am curious to see if it supports network bonding for fast transfer speeds. I’ll have to mess with it at some point as it is a managed switch.

Help, please! :D

2. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Active Member

Run your own router with PFsense.

3. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

Seems like it would be great as an Unraid system, then on that you run a few virtual machines, one as a NAS to make use of the storage, one as a router as suggested by @Ice Tea to make use of the IO, using it to define QoS in your home network.

The things I'd do with some bits-of-tech (hah!) that I can not afford / are too far down the priority/necessity list.

Yaka likes this.