1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soulmage, 12 Jul 2007.

1. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

I have my main computer that I use all the time. I also a laptop modded to be a server. The problem is I have enough parts to make at least 3 more computers.

What I am trying to figure out is should I and what are some good uses for them? What sort of reasons does every one else run multiple PC's?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Since you've already got main pc and server covered, theres always HTPC.
    Or you could build a server and use the laptop as a laptop?

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Punt them, donate them, find some one in your family who has a guff one and give fit to them. Make a silent one for when your just browsing the web and checking your email. A P3 is more than fast enough so why run a P4/SKT A upwards.

4. slugs

slugs Minimodder

i would build a firewall/download box. make it nice and quiet. i stuck a load of hd's in mine and use it as my backup server for all my machines and image to it. i also keep iso images of games and the odd old film

5. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

Heh, see http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=128750

I guess the HTPC is a good idea. Would be better for the wife than me though, I don't watch TV. Thanks for the replies.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I normally just build up bits over time and then have a clearout once in a while
    It's surprising the amount of cash that can be raised from a clearout of random bits and bobs that are virtually worthless on their own, I've probably magicked up over £1000 so far this year from selling disused computer bits

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Yeah but how much have you spent in the first place :D

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd look after the bits you really think you'll need, and then chuck the rest on eBay, or build them into PC's and sell them locally.

9. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I had the same problem recently. I have a rain rig, I have a server and I have a HTPC. I've never really been into folding or anything so I went for a clearout.

Your best bet is to make as many functioning rigs as possible and sell to friends/in the local paper. E.g. many people to here would laugh in my face if I wanted to sell an Athlon XP 2600+/GeForce 7800GS/1.5GB DDR machine, but one of my friends picked it up and is gaming on it fine (his last rig was a 1GHz Duron, onboard GFX).

Take the spare parts and put them in the Sale/Wanted forum (I'm going to do this soon). Anything that doesn't sell there can be put on eBay.

I've made about £500 so far :D.