1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What TV for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Meltdown, 28 May 2017.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Looking for input / recommendations from anyone using a TV for PC gaming ideally.

Got a GTX 1080 coming so might consider 4K, but otherwise 1080P set is fine. Currently have a Sony 32EX403 which has been pretty good but looking for a bigger set regardless.

The good the bad and ugly of what you are using?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The approach I would take:
    Make a short list based on budget, size and features, then try to find the one among them that has the least horrific input lag.
    Unfortunately even in this day and age the best TVs still have effectively double the input lag of a decent monitor and worse, the TV market (especially among cheaper 4K TVs) is littered with catastrophic input lag traps.

There is a database here:
    https://displaylag.com/display-database/
    Also there is a pretty decent thread over at neogaf about the issue:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276204

Unfortunately giving recommendations from personal experience is difficult as TV manufacturers swap model numbers more often than socks.

3. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

4. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

I use a Samsung KS8000 (Aussie model number) - it's one of the best "realistically priced" 4K screens I could get for gaming. Ideally you want 4:4:4 sampling if you're using a tv as a monitor as well as low input lag.
    But a monitor is still generally a better bet. Having said that, every console gamer in the world is using a TV...