1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 What TV for PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by LeMaltor, 19 Nov 2008.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hi, my brother just ordered a PS3, he intends to play it on an old 14inch CRT TV (it has a Scart socket), will it work? will we need a converter of some sort?

If not and we need some HDMI TV/monitor what do you guys recommend preferably the cheapest option please, thanks :D

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Although you'd be missing out on the details of the amazing graphics you can play it on that TV, I believe the PS3 comes with a scart cable, the 360 does.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that is a little bit pointless tbh. playing a ps3 on an old, small CRT with the SCART adapter will look marginally better than a ps2, but there won't be the wow factor of playing at HD resolutions on a decent new telly. get a nice little 19" samsung with a HDMI port. pick up a cheap HDMI cable off ebay (any will do if you're not going over 3-5m, so buy cheapest) and you'll be sorted.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Thanks for the help guys, if it looks really bad we will look into the samsung TV idea, thanks :D

5. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

IF your willing to pay it I'd suggest going for a 22" or bigger, just for the ability to sit back and relax you can find fairly cheep lcd I played mgs 4 on a 12" crt at my friends house, and i don't know why but it looked like a pixulated mess. maybe i was use to all the AA of pc games, but ps3 looks much much much better oin HD. obviously.

6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I've not played on a little 14" but had done on a 20" via S-video (bit better than SCART) and I have to say I still found it pretty good to game with, these console bring more to the arena than just high res graphics, theres the amount of stuff on screen, improved realism in titles and online play all of which can still be appreciated on a small screen, I reckon you'll be fine.

7. Major

Major Guest

BTW, if you plug a PS3 into a 22" Monitor, how do you get sound etc?

8. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

you can use the supplied AV cable to plug in L and R via RCA jacks or buy a RCA to 3.5mm converter from the likes of maplin to plug speakers into.

9. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

best get saving for a nice lcd tv - i couldn't imagine playing it on a portable - yuck!

enjoy the ps3 lovleyness ;-)

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

an lcd monitor that supports HDCP (most all new ones nowadays) and has a DVI or HDMI port.

I got a 19" samsung for $150 last summer brand new. Works awesome!

11. Valo

Valo Active Member

do non widescreen monitors work? I have 17" sammy that does not get much use, thinking of using it with ps3 until I move permanently

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It came before, works with the TV fine looks rather good, I can't get it to work with my monitor though either it's not HDCP compliant or the res is wrong. Seems I need to signup a US account to get a demo tab on PS Store, our euro version seems like a mess :s

13. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

You probably haven't yet cached all the buttons or perhaps updated the firmware as UK PSN is nice and clean these days, was a bit ropey before the changes.

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I just wanted to download and play some demos, I have GT5:p and PES 2008 got them today two for 20 pounds deal, I just wanted to know what else their was, a quick google revealed the euro store (apparently) doesn't have a demo tab and the US store does.

HDCP compliant monitors seem pretty thin on the ground, so montior or TV - what's the cheapest one I could buy? Budget 100 to 200 pounds? Obviously the better the res or 1080p support the better, what do I have to save my pennies for and how many do I have to save?

Something like this -> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/24-Hyundai-IT-N240W-LCD-1920x1200-8001-400-cd-m-5-ms-Speakers-VESA ??

15. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

blimey your right theres no demo category, I never noticed, pressing square makes it easier to see whats what when in a category.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You just need to register a US account *I think*

Also it seems rather daft to have a HDCP monitor that won't do 1080p, so I need a 1080p + HDCP monitor or TV, what's the cheapest?

17. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

most 1080p tv's should support HDCP anyway. You might want to also consider one of those dell monitors as they also come with some av connectors on some models.