1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what type of person are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by johnwilliams474, 21 Feb 2004.

?

what type of person are you?

Poll closed 16 Nov 2006.
  1. ford

22 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. chevy

19 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. dodge

10 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. jeep

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. ricer

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. muscule car

33 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. honda

25 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. only a sertian type of eg. mustang camero ect.

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. other explain

50 vote(s)
    24.2%
  10. i like walking

25 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

That is ********. I refuse to live anywhere with idiotic ordiances like that. Its not nazi germany you know...

I can understand unsightly objects, like, rusted burned cars in the front lawn. But to have a car simply without a license and/or being worked on, BS.

2. penski

penski BodMod

Wait...I'm not too familiar with US motoring laws but...

...Can you licence it, take it off the road for a month then relicence it after the conversion?

*n

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Well, I know here in Montana, you can do what ever the hell you want to your car, the cops can't do anything. (I love this red-neck state sometimes :D). In other states (ie. California) it is illegal to put a bigger engine into a car then the one that came stock. And you cannot do cross-platform/manufacturer engine swaps. It depends on the state that you live in. New York may allow it, where as say Florida doesn't. Just the state's legislature's preference.

4. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

oh god i hate this country. according to forddirect.com a 2005 ford 'stang GT premium will cost $26,000(which is about £13,000) but over here its supposed to cost £25,000(which is about $47,000) or even £27995(whic is about $53,438)

:waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah:

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

The same hapens in the US with europen imports...

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

who the hell wants a european car?
    BMW=mostly posermobiles(unless its an Mcar)
    Merc=old mans bar
    Audi RS4=teh win but there's not much else bar british stuff but they're expensive over here too.

7. jaguarking11

Finaly a brit that likes american cars.... The end is near I can sense it, either that or ww3 is coming around and the brits need their butts saved...AGAIN.............. :D j/k ROFL

:hip: :hip: :hip: :hip:

8. penski

penski BodMod

Volkswagen?
    Alfa Romeo?
    Peugot?
    Citroen?
    Renault?
    Skoda?
    Saab?

And so on and so on...

Things are expensive in the UK no matter what. Audis in general tend to be very, very good cars.

*n

9. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

In a Yank car magazine, a guy decided he wanted a new 2005 Stang, and he also thought the price difference was crap, so it went to the US, 2 week trip, brought a Stang, and got it shipped over to the UK, all for around $28,000

Not bad EH?

10. Pistol

Pistol Guest

Ok, I know there's serious thrashing of so called "ricers" but I have to define something:

A ricer is one who adds a body kit to his car, a louder than necessary muffler, and rims for the sake of aesthetics. The ricer does a horrible job or at the very best a good job with the body kit moulded into the car to create a smooth look.

A tuner, on the other hand, will pay no REAL attention to the looks, only as an afterthought. The tuner is strictly trying to improve the performance of said car, rather than just have it look fast.

That said, I call myself a "tuner" since I'm working with what I've got: A 2003 Chevy Cavalier.

Sleeper is the keyword in my tuner vocab, I'm working on a budget, and I want the most I can get with the best parts I can get, piece by piece.

Give me $50k and I'll build a 4 cylinder that can trounce a Vette. It would cost the same AND perform better. Plus, the Cavalier wouldn't have leaf springs. :thumb:

11. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Put 50k into a vette and it will inhale little kids. (Ie, smash the cavvy)

When comparing prices, its apples to oranges. When you start with a bigger engine you get MORE HP per dollar to begin with.

A cheap and dirty turbo calculation goes like this....

14.7 PSI = 1 atmosphere, on top of the one already present. So, your doubling your N/A HP with 14.7 PSI of boost.

14.7 PSI on a 150HP 4 banger = 300HP (9.5:1 c/r)
    14.7 PSI on a 290HP stock 350... = 580HP (8ish:1 c/r)

Sure, the 4 banger is lighter. But if your talking V8 sports car, I'd be hard pressed to say there would be a difference. If the cavvy could even keep up. Due to sheer torque and brute force of the V8. :) Have you ever seen a cut-away of a vette? Its barely anything but the motor and a people compartment. lmfao.

Not bashing or anything. But if I had a choice, V8 all the way. There are reasons why OEMs go with more cylinders over just a 4 banger.... :D

12. penski

penski BodMod

Wow...have you ever actually built a forced induction engine...?

If so, I'd love you to show me how you can get double the power from just one bar.

With all engine configurations, there are good and there are bad.

There are 5 litre V8s that struggle to hit 300bhp.

There are 2.2 litre slant 4s that will throw out 300bhp.

Pun alert: Different Strokes For Different Folks. >.<

Some of my all-time favourite lumps are small in size - the Coventry Climax, the Cosworth BDA, a couple of bike engines...

*n

13. jaguarking11

15 or so psi on a vette v8 will yeild around 600hp... But thats because the motor is a sport motor.. The engines that strugle to hit 300hp while being big bore are usualy pick up truck motors designed to be simple and reliable... For example a truck motor may have only 400-500hp but it will run around quite well with 40+ metric tons on it carige and not even squint. VS a high performance race motor in the same position would probly burn out within a cuple of miles regardless of how mutch hp it makes... So its a case of apples and oranges....

Oh and for the guy above with the 2k3 cavalier he should reserch around and find out whitch ecotech his car has, some ecotechs can put out well beyond 300hp while still being stretable cars...

But as a rule of thumb on american racing goes like this... A small motor needs way more work and is far less reliable to gain your hp/lb mark you set out for yourself than starting with a biger motor thus costing more.. That being said there are exeptions to every rule....

--Jag

14. ViRuZO

ViRuZO What's a Dremel?

smooth ride, prefer french one's, reliable and convenient, on point in favour of french's- striking design :thumb:

15. penski

penski BodMod

Do you mean the GM Ecotec engine..?

If so, 300bhp is pushing it. And the XE/LET blocks were far, far better engines.

*n

16. jaguarking11

Its duable if he puts his mind to it.... Gm ecotec's of this day and age are far beetter performing than the old ones as they are built solid. And usualy can take higher presures. But like I said there are always exeptions.. And btw not all ecotechs are created equal as certain ecotechs on diferent modles are diferent casts and bores.. Saturn ecotechs tend to be better suited for forced induction, mainly since gm performance ofers superchargers of all sizes for them and acompanying parts to keep them motors happy...

Just reserch that block if you plan to truly tune it and draw from the experience of others to fit your preformance/budget ratio.

Sorry for the long winded post.

17. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

I am an Ford man

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

True, but give me the same $50k and I can take the Vette and trounce your built 4-cyl ;)

What about a Stanley Steam Car? Those put out 115HP with 600-lbs torque with no tranny ;)

19. penski

penski BodMod

I think the idea was starting out from scratch with $50k - buy a new 'vette or buy a second hand turbo'd 4banger and tune the nuts off it?

*n

20. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Myself - am a Ford man through and through.

My current ride is a 1975 TD Cortina (Not mine but this model). I've just rebuilt the 250CuI X-flow engine with alloy head (ready for EFI conversion soon), stage 2 cam and converted it to manual.