1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 7 Feb 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What machine started you off on the road to computer Geekiness? What was the first hunk of silicon you ever received that started your love (or hatred) for these indespensible hulks of electronic components? What other machines have you gotten since? Post your machines statistics to the best of your memory on this thread!

Ill start off with mine. It was an incredible, all mighty 486 that I received in 1997 :duh: Yes, a machine that was 8 years outdated was my first computer. It died after 8 months because the CPU fan failed and the processor burned out. :hehe: I was really upset then, because computers where so much fun! We didnt get a replacement computer until 1999, after my siblings and I begging my parents to get a new machine. And so, we got our $400 E-machine, with a whopping 566Mhz Celeron processor! :p Later on, we got three old Dell Optiplex Gn+, as well as a GXi from surplus as internet machines. Only one of them is in use anymore-the other two are in storage, waiting for a time when they might need to be used. Finally, late last year, I built my first computer: Avalon. With an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor, a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, 80 gigabyte hard drive, and 512 MB of PC 2700 DDR RAM, it is the best computer I have ever had the chance to use, 8 times better in every specification at least.

So, what do you have? I know that Zapwizard has some interesting machines. What started him on his road to modding glory? :thumb:

Have fun!

2. Carman

Carman What's a Dremel?

my first computer was a

P1 MMX 166

lol was speedy little thing :thumb:

3. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

lol mines was also a Pentium MMX 166, PCI video card

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Well, what else have you gotten since then Carmen? We all want to know :D

5. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

well ive had 2 family computers, one was an old apple mac, (u know like 4mb ram being the best of the best and battleships for a good game). and that was so bad i dont know its specs, (may have something to do with me being like 6 tho ;)). and then we jsut couldnt use it anymore, no internet etc. so we got a nice AMD athlon, (non xp but amazingly 512k of L2 cache :D), and it was a 600mhz. it was good, with fairly good parts, 20gb hdd, 128mb of ram etc.

then i got my first computer, a laptop, from my dad, a very old one, the best of the best in 1998, a pentium mmx 233, 161mb of ram, (yes, more than hte 600 :D), 4mb s3 virge mx. and 4.76gb hdd. its incerdibly good/stable. and built to last, (i know, its had 2 little falls). on that i learnt mulitple programming languages, and spat on certain program minium specs, like sketchup, snf dreamweaver, photoshop etc.

but now im getting my first proper computer, £450, (yeh i know, i dont have much, only 13 :)), AMD athlon xp 2600+ barton, 2x256mb corsair xms ddr 2700, 64mb Ti4200, abit nf7-s 2.0, 120gb hdd. woah, havent got it yet but its in the mail! :D

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

Ow c'mon guys, let's go back waaay back! My first 'pc' has to be my trusty rubber keyed, wacko tape loading Sinclair ZX Spectrum :D
    Remember Manic Miner, Jetset Willy..... :waah:

7. djmike

djmike What's a Dremel?

I think this is what I've had...

I first used a 286 to play good old Sierra games - KQ5 etc. !! :D
    I was 9 I think - so obviously my dads, it was in 1991

I've forced the upgrades ever since, all these computers have been mine before being passed on...

386SX
    486SX25
    486DX2-66
    P200 (my dad still uses - Win98 & office)
    PIII 450 (my sister uses)
    Celeron 600 (my other pc - running mounted on a wall on chipboard as a server)
    AMD 1700+ (my brother uses)
    P4C 2.4 :D (guess who runs this beast...

I guess I like Intel!

My beast has 1 gig ddr400, ATI 9600 Pro, 2 x 120 gig Seagates

The details of the components are very sketchy, but most of the harddrives are in use somewhere, only had one 6 gig die, the ones below 500meg are useless if I could even find them.

anyone else?

Cya,

Mike

8. djmike

djmike What's a Dremel?

forgot about that, I used to use one of those to play games too...
    I was young, but I remember loading tapes to play space invaders!

9. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

puter

My first computer usage was probably when i was something <1 yrs.
    We had something that remotely resembled a 80864 (whatever that number was) and it had digger on it, yay!

Then we got a 33 mhz digital that we put 3.11 on and commander keen, whoop-de-doo!
    Then later, after we got out of saudi, we got a nice brand new ****ty, i mean, shiny PII 233 MMX with 32 mb ram and a 4 gig hd, we upgraded the ram to 48 mb, but windows 95 was still slow on it.

And then it happened, i got my first own computer, a Digital with a 133 Mhz processor and a whopping 32 mb of ecc ram. it even sported a 1.2 gig hd!

Now i use a +1700 XP athalon with 352 mb ram and a 60 gb hd that i built myself.

[EDIT] oh, was posting at the same time as you, djmike, and welcome to the forums!

10. ellism

ellism What's a Dremel?

the first "computer" in my house was a comador64, my first computer was an amstrad, with the classics on, Keen Lemings and prince of persia.

11. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

mine was a dragon32 then i upgraded to a commodore 64,do you remember the games magazines were you could input games written in basic,you would spend 2 hours inputting and then because of a typing error it wouldnt work.oh to be 12 again.

12. coorz

coorz Miffed

omg, the dragon32!! Wasn't that Acorn or the BBC machine ?
    Yes, my fave was Computer & Video Games (C&VG) spent countless hours with dem listings, man o man those were the days.

13. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

:D my first puter was a "calculator"
    and that was 1986

14. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

The first computer that we had was a BBC micro. We were addicted to Repton :D

My dad then had an amstrad 386 of some kind then an elonex 486 that I inherated when I when to uni. It had a 20Mb hard drive that I compressed/double spaced (can't remember the corect term) to 80Mb!!!!

I then got an Elonex Lumina, in 1997, which had a 1Gb hard drive and 32Mb of ram. I thought it was great! Thisa lasted me till 1999ish when I build my 1st system with a AMD K4 400 Procesor.

I have since progresse to AMD XPs

Meblin

15. Olly

Olly What's a Dremel?

First computer was a BBC Micro, then years later progressed to a 486DX2-66.
    That was the last pre-built computer I've had, everything since then I've built myself and it changes so frequently I can't remember what I've had since then
    (given most of it away to friends and family).

Olly :D

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

God your all young, Sinclair Spectrum 16k, back in 82.

Programing hangman in BASIC, ohh what fun we had back then. :D

17. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

My first computer was one my mom passed down to me after she got her new one. It was a Pet. MMX 200Mhz, 128MB of RAM, Sound Blaster 16bit, with a 16mb Voodoo Blaster Banshee.

Sad thing is I just stopped using it 6 days ago. :hehe: I have only slightly upgraded until I can afford to buy a new computer.

18. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

heh heh heh , i started off with a vic 20 (shudder , i was the envy of my whole class ) . god l loved distroying that thing , also a amstrad cpc64 , mmmmmm green monitor .....

scott :D

19. J3mZ

J3mZ What's a Dremel?

My first computer was a P3 800mhz, 128mb ram, gf2mx400, 30gb Hdd.
    I got that in about 2001 or something. I wasnt really into computers then, but all my friends had pc's so we got one, and i started spending more time on it :D

Now i have my own pc (the older one was more a family computer :hehe: ) which im really happy with, nice and fast, but im still trying to make it faster, just need the money :D

20. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

c64. :D

first "pc compatible" was some ibm pc/at piece of ****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.