1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What web cam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 28 Jan 2021.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My mother in law is after a web cam with built in mic (integrated timed explosives would be handy too).

What would people recommend around the 30 quid mark?

The_Crapman likes this.
  2. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I bought a Logitech C270 for £30 due to using Teams a lot now and its been very good. No compatibility issues with anything and just works with no fuss.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I have the same (albeit bought for a somewhat less on offer and before the market went a bit nuts). Both video and (importantly) intergrated sound are absolutely fine and a step above most cheap setups. Talking of setup, it's super simple plug in and play.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That would have been ideal but cant find any in stock at the right price, Argos do them for 24.99 but not a single store has them.

Any other recommendations?

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Logitech themselves have them, for ~£36 including shipping.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh unfortunately while going through the checkout it was suggested that they were shipping from abroad and there could be long delays from all this Brexit malarky.

7. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I have had one through from the logitech store since new year and it took less than a week; worth placing an order if you need it. If you can wait supply should sort itself out by the summer

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Bought one on Amazon last week for a user, 30 next day prime. Just keep an eye and it will come into stock

9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

use droid cam and your mobile phone for 1080p :) , or iriun for 4k if your phone does it.

Grab a lazy arm and a ring light off amazon, job done

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Why would you use the app on your phone over the camera on it? Is it just better quality/positionable, or is that on the basis you don't have a working phone camera, or would just rather have it shown on the larger monitor?

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Because it's something you already have.

Though I have a few colleagues that are using webcam-via-phone, and all of them seem to have reliability issues, never mind the problems that come from incoming calls or messages during use.

It's fine for occasional, non-critical use, but I wouldn't say it's a permanent solution to a webcam.

12. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Yeah its just an app that lets you use the camera on your smartphone as a webcam, I do it with mines for uni and the quality is miles better than any webcam I've owned or been willing to pay for.

Yes if I forget silent mode or dnd people could pass through with calls and interrupt but as long as I remember its all good.

The lazy arm is just so you can position it wherever, its just a phone mount with a wee clamp on it. Was just a suggestion, a little more set up than a static webcam but still :)

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Its for my 74 year old mother in law, it has to be plug n play or it will be an endless stream of phone calls which will of course end up being my fault for trying to help :p

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I read between the lines and assumed something along the lines was the case :happy:
    If this was for a bit tech user themselves I might well have suggested using a phone camera instead, especially at the moment.

If getting hold of something branded and decent is tricky at the moment, something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microphone-Computer-Studying-Conference-Broadcast/dp/B08L4TLKV4/ for £12 is actually probably fine, and has the benefit that the low outlay won't raise expectations too high :happy:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2021