1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple What will I do with a Mac?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cereal_killer, 17 May 2006.

1. cereal_killer

cereal_killer What's a Dremel?

i know its a stupid question, but i've been thinking of late if to cross over.
    i know its a better os and alot more stable than windows, i've used it a couple times and was some what confused and would really like to get to know it better, but the main reason for the hesitation is if i get one what will i do with it ?

i usually use my pc for gaming and browsing the net, i am currently looking at getting one of the 13 inch mac books (cause it looks really really really sexy :D ).

any suggestions as to what i should get and can do with a mac? ( i wanna get something that will last me a while so i hesitate at getting a mac mini)

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, most things. There are certain areas(many creative things) where the software for them is easily as good as, if not better, then the windows equivalent. Other then that, the OS is more stable, the browsers are better, there are far less Viruses, and you're not likely to feel that its just a better experience.

Things like accounting software, and a few other "businessy" software types aren't so good on a mac, and even mac users will admit that there are certain areas of software that windows is the better platform for. Not because of the OS per se, just because the software doesn't exist for the mac OS, but does for win32.

I must say, Bootcamp renders a lot of this stuff irellevent. Since you can easiy and cheaply install winXP and presumably Vista when it comes out proper onto a mac as a secondary OS for certain things.

Gaming is mostly a no-no. It is possible, but from what I know, the games are more expensive, don't run very well, and have far less support if things don't work out.

So basicly, whats a mac good for? Everything, except for games and accounting. If you game a lot though, there really might not be any point in getting one unless you're really feeling that cash burning your pocket.

If you want this for working on, just for browsing, or portability, it may be a very good decision.

I didn't say this, in fact, no-one did, ever. But, there are quite a few folk now loading OS X onto lappies that were designed for windows. It's perfectly possible, if not the simplest of operations. But if you're just intrested in trying out OS X, or would like OS X on a laptop without the cost of an apple book, it is possible, it isn't legal though.

3. JRY

JRY What's a Dremel?

I don't really play games anymore. just use my MBP for work, surfing, and everything else. I've been using OSX for over a month now and refuse to install WinXP.
    What you can get from OSX? It's just ALOT more "fun" to use :)

4. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

You say you use your PC for gaming and browsing. Do you intend to keep the PC. If so, a MacBook will do fine, as you shouldn't be expecting anything spectecular on the gaming front from the GMA 950, but it will be a great little computer for browsing and using iLife apps.

If you intend to sell the PC and use the Apple laptop for gaming, go with a MBP. BootCamp + x1600 = decent gaming performance, though its a lot of money for a (superior) laptop when similar spec Dell's etc are available for gaming and browsing.

Tags: