1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What would YOU do...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff Hine, 13 Jun 2019 at 13:06.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

... with £400 to balance the CPU/GPU load for the build I currently have?
    Most "taxing" (LOL, yeah right) thing I do with my machine is play WoW looking the best it can...

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

If you can't maintain 60 FPS in line with your screen's 60Hz at the resolution you're playing with, then it's graphics you need not CPU in my opinion.

You could look out for a 4790K just to squeeze every last drop outta your current platform, but honestly, selling that Vega for a 1080 and pocketing the leftovers from shopping your CPU too is probably gonna be best.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

If all you're doing is WoW - £400 of pizza and beer, most probably.

Yaka likes this.
  4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ This and wait to see what happens with next month's AMD release.

5. Jeff Hine

The CPU is working harder to keep up with the GPU; and @Wakka just confirms what I feel is the general consensus of the gaming world, that WoW is too s*** to need any (serious) hardware consideration.

Why can't I want to play an old game looking at its best? What it needs to get it onto a PC is nothing like what it needs to run looking at it's best... but then if it doesn't need an i9 or an RTX to run, 'who cares'...?

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have noticed with my 3570k it is definitely being bottle-necked in modern titles. Even things like HOI4 and Stellaris are a stretch if I'm watching stuff at the same time, so don't assume you won't actually gain frame rates if you watch content while playing WOW :)

Jeff Hine likes this.
  7. Zoon

So going back to my question, are you getting your 60 FPS at high detail?

You mention above that your CPU is struggling - so your cheapest option is going to be getting a second hand 4790K. That will take you from 3.5ghz 4c/4t to 4.0ghz 4c/8t. It'll mean you can keep your RAM etc.

On your motherboard you would probably get to 4.2 for a modest overclock without much worry either. Your old CPU will get you back about 75% of the purchase price of a second hand 4790k. Might balance out pretty well.

£400 is going to get you a lower end motherboard, 16GB RAM and maybe £200-£250 to spend on a Ryzen 3. Said Ryzen 3 will have more cores, sure, but actually, the 4790K is going to get you more mhz, which will probably make more difference to you with WoW which is a bit older and less likely to take advantage of more cores as well as a more modern game.

8. adidan

adidan Avatar now in stock for xmas 2019

The 3600and 3600x are expected to be in that price bracket, i'll take that bet on which will be better. :p:

9. Jeff Hine

I run level 7 at 60-70fps, but not without the occasion 'non-crash freeze'.
    I don't trust second-hand... and am paranoid about
    I'm looking at using some variant of this as a foundation for an upgrade, as my GPU & monitor are a few months old.

EDIT:
    The idea of selling MY kit second-hand fills me with more dread than buying second hand.

10. Zoon

I have to admit I didn’t realise the clocks were quite so high on Ryzen 3. The 3600 should easily be in budget and will deliver six cores/12t at 3.6ghz or the 3600X will deliver six cores/12t at 3.8ghz for a bit more but maybe still in budget.

I think I’m reconsidering my position on the above now.

11. Zoon

I’ve been a member since day one, my user ID is literally number 11.

I’ve been selling and buying on and off probably for the past ten years or so on this forum.

There have been very, very few instances of issues; certainly only one ban from selling this year I can recall and that’s because the guy was a trader selling multiple lots, against forum rules. I’ve bought stuff for builds I did for friends and family here even and never had a single issue. I’d say you’re pretty safe. But it’s up to your personal comfort levels of course.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2019 at 07:59
    adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

adidan Avatar now in stock for xmas 2019

I'd echo this 100%

13. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Although to stay in budget may be best off looking at the various X470 boards that will no doubt pop up in the marketplace further down.

(X570 mobos will be rather pricey and the budget chipset ain't due until the end of the year)

adidan likes this.