1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks What wrong with my network card?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 13 Jul 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

I put in my network dial-up card in the bottom slot of my motherboard, pci slot. Put in the drivers cd, installed. Now, whenever I reboot, it tells me right up front that no modem was detected. So I checked the slot, and made sure it was in correctly and all the way. Everything is dandy, no noob about that stuff. But still nothing. If I put a phone line into it, i know nothing would happen as my current pc wouldnt remind me my modem isnt working because theirs no phone line it.

My friend suggested that I put it into the highest pci slot, but I dont want to because that interfers with my video card and heat would be an issue. I have my sound card in the second bottom slot. My mobo has 5 pci slots and 1 agp.

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

So it's a PCI modem not a NIC then? Try some different drivers, presuming its a winmodem, those things are often really choosy about their drivers.

3. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

You may have dropped it into a "passive" slot when it needs a Bus Master slot, some mobos are a bitch for that. just try switching slots, you just might find it works in another.

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

You can atleast try it in the different slots to rule out that the modem isnt DOA...

5. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

Could someone explain to me about this 'passive' slot thing? Im curious and extending my knowledge in the pc world.

Thanks.

Tags: