1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding what you can do with extra fans...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by THEkorean, 24 Aug 2006.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

recently having upgraded to watercooling, i found my self with quite a few unused case fans. Ive put them to better use, cooling something far more important than any computer component.. what is more important that computer hardware you ask?
    [​IMG]
    me of course lol
    [​IMG]
    i ziptied 4 80mm fans together and voila i have my own personal cooling fan, ill make revisions soon :)

feels free to post what youve done with your extra case fans, pictures are greatly apreciated

2. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I do that to but power them of a 9 volt battery.
    Also use for solder fume extraction.
    And Fire extinguise powder.

3. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

mount a 4 fan fan speed controller and hook em up and the battery idea is good too

4. Blackcrown

Blackcrown What's a Dremel?

I've just put 6 120mm fans behind eachother, so that I created a kind of hyperblower. :p

With a piece of paper you make a simple "skateboard" (without wheels) and you can fly around above the airflow, making it also posible to do some various tricks. Maybe you'll even be able to do a kickflip. :)

5. cire9753

:D i want to try that now...airboarding!!!

6. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

7. cire9753

ima try to make one now, im low on fans though cause i put mose of my spares in my tubputer!

8. cire9753

9. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Cool for the cards but Im not grasping the keeping the cards lit as well as the hand hands burn in a few milliseconds with alchohol on them maybe with heat resistant gloves longer but the cards shouldn't burn for more than a few seconds before they burn no matter whats on them. so iono. But I think 4 120's would be pretty neat but bump them to 24 volts they are fine but spin much faster. woot. I used 2 80's at 24 volts which worked supperbly for fume extraction but after a few seconds at 36 volts they died when I tryed to restart them.

10. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

im somewhat of a card florisher myself and the guy doing the demo is Devo, a very famous card flourisher. He is wearing fireproof glove and the deck is coated in some sort of gasoline.
    back on topic: how would i go about pumping 24v into the fans, i only have a regular computer test pSU powering my fans and would not know how to get 24 volts seeing that im somewhat of an electrical n00b ><

11. ZenX

ZenX How are you gentlemen?

Well a yellow is +12V, so double that :D I'm not so sure if it'll work, just a feeling.. I also tried that with 1 fan, but it resonated so badly that the whole desk was rocking + it made an irritating sound : :worried:

12. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Well I had a 24volt transformer for awhile to charge 2 lead acid batterys in series. For 24 volts you would need to make a buck boost transformer that ups the voltage. Or buy one cheaper to make yoru own. Google it for some spec sheets and build one.

13. z4114

z4114 FACE!

For quick 24V access you can use the +12V yellow line paired with the -12V line from the ATX connector. The -12V line usually only has a small max current rating so I would guess it is possible to blow out a PSU if you hook too many fans up to it. But it does make the fans run super fast and noisy as all hell. For the less adventurous of us out there you can go from the +12V to the -5V for 17V for your fans.

linkage: Overspin your Fans

14. cire9753

i did that but w/o a mobo
    ill write a small tut later