Peripherals What's a good printer/scanner?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 27 Dec 2017.

1. oscy

oscy Member

Have old printer (HP Officejet 4315 All-in-One).

It no print so good these days.

Want scanning ability also.

Christmas sales.

[​IMG]

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Buy once cry once: get a colour laser MFD.Brother make decent prosumer ones that don't require shitty software (e.g. Samsung) or try and pull the same **** as with ink cartridges with lock-down chips to force you to buy own-brand (e.g. HP).
    Prints, scans, copies, network-connected so you never need to hunt for a card, toner lasts for ages, and unlike an inkjet you will never leave it for a few weeks only to find the ink has dried out and ruined the cartridge (so you now have to replace an almost-full cartridge, which you then use to print 3 pages and then leave again for it to dry out again and need another new cartridge). Buy it, stick it in a corner, press print and you get a printout every time.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Agreed, Got a brother HL1112 Black and white printer a while back and never had any issues with it. As Edzieba says no ink cartridge bs to deal with needing a specific brand, toner lasts a good while and can be left for ages until needed without issue. Only regret is not spending a bit more for a colour printer for the handful of times it would be useful even tho the main use these days boarding cards or occasional amazon voucher. Network connectivity is also useful unless you have a computer on all the time and can set up a windows group/print server

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I’ve got a Dell E525W which I believe is a rebadged Brother unit. Colour laser printer scanner copier fax. Have had it 18 months without a toner change and it’s printed over two teams of paper. It’s happier with a wire in it opposed to Wi-fi and it’s got AirPrint so just works with everything seamlessly.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Another vote for brother. I have a B/W Laser and an Colour Inkjet A3 MFD, which I find to be a good combination for me. As above I would er towards the reliability and consistency of a laser though.

My tips would be to get something with a reasonably sized enclosed (i.e. dust free and always ready to go) paper tray, and to have a look at reviews for third party cartridges before you decide on the printer.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2017
  6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I have an Epson ecotank 4550, ink seems to last an age much like my old laser, I've probably only done ~4k sheets on it though and I still have half the original inks and and extra set to use that came with it, print is good quality, photos are passable, perhaps not store level, the scanning to pdf and cloud print functions are well handy once set up, has a paper feeder, does duplex which works well for copying etc but can't copy 2 sided stuff automatically which is a shame. Its a few year old now I'd image the ecotanks have come on a bit.

7. oscy

oscy Member

Dayum, I looked up colour laser printers and they're close to £200. I don't print enough for it to be worth it. Just going to the library would probably work out cheaper in my life time!

I don't see any real discounts anyway so I'll just wait, maybe I'll bump into one, like in those local Facebook groups. I printed more test pages to keep the ink wet in a year than I did print something I actually needed.