1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Whats an acceptable amount of backlight bleed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 2 Jul 2010.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have recently purchased a HP ZR24W 24" monitor and in general I am pretty blown away with its performance compared to my TN panelled Samsung 2232BW.

The only thing that lets it down is a rather prominent amount of back light bleed down in the bottom left hand corner and also to a lesser extent a blueish sort of bleed in the bottom right hand corner (but the blue doesn't bother me).

So my question is, should I be asking for a replacement and am I within my rights to ask for a replacement or is this to be expected at this price range (£330).

I've taken a photo of it but its probably not gonna show it too well (any tips on how to take a better photo of it would also be helpful).

It is more prominent than the photo shows.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Turn down the back light a little, as I find the standard setting is always way too high, its a demo setup that makes them look 'better'.

Saying that, I think my TN pannel is better than that, and it is only that corner, so maybe it is a fault. Email the supplier, just to see what they say?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

A little bit of backlit bleeding is normal when your screen brightness is at 100%, because this is just how LCD technology works. True 0 backlit is found in very uber expensive LCD screen aimed at professionals, who's career is required them to use one, CRT monitors, and OLED.

If your screen brightness is at 100% than it's normal. Lower it.. it should only have a small hint of backlit bleeding... basically only visible at night, and your lights off, on a full black screen. If not, then it maybe something wrong with the display.

I get something similar with my U2410 when I have brightness at 100% (but then when I visit web pages.. especially whites one.. I get blinded by the strength of the back light).
    At 50% (default), I don't see it unless you are very picky, focus a lot to find it, in a dark room, at night.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That doesn't look very bad too me, I think my U2410 is a little worst than that :hehe:

5. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

If you can't see it in films or games, stick with it.

If you can see it in games though, particularly ones that have black borders at the top and the bottom during cutscenes or dialogue moments, then contact them for a replacement.

Do think twice though, about whether you can really see it, and how bad it is. I had a nightmare a few years ago with monitors. To cut a very long story very short, I had one with backlight bleed, returned it and got one with several dead pixels instead, returned that and got a new model, which had backlight bleed AND dead pixels, returned that and got one which had a severe image retention problem. I should have just stuck with the first one...

In the end, I got so annoyed with the crappy quality of monitors, I ended up spending £350 for a top end 20" screen. It's absolutely flawless. Shame it cost me all that money though.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Brightness is set at 25%.

I can see it in games when there are dark scenes in games which is what bothers me, if it was just on a dark screen or when borders are present it wouldn'y iritate me.

Think I'll drop both the retailer and manufacturer an email and see what they say, I don't want to get involved in a game of swapsies trying to get a near perfect one, this is my 2nd already due to a single permanently lit pixel.

7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

If it's really bad then I guess you should be able to claim on the warranty.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

God, looking at that picture is making me nervous. I need to check my screen now. Had it for 3 months, so need to see how it's bedding in.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

You have a ZR24W as well?

10. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

All LCDs will have some sort of backlight bleed because the liquid crystals can only block out so much light. Unless you go OLED of course but thats a whole different tech.

I honestly won't worry about blacklight bleed. Unless you mean the bleed comes out all distorted and stuff at the corners which is typical with TN and even large format IPS panels.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes I know they will have some form of back light bleed but you would expect it to be uniform and not very prominent in just one corner. Thats the issue here.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Usually it's on all 4 corners. equally at a hint level, especially with your brightness level (30%).
    Unifom backlit is sadly that only exists in very high end monitor like this one:
    The EIZO ColorEdge CG223W 22inch monitor which costs 1500$ U.S
    Not to mention that it has visible input lag and slow response time, only 200 cd/m2 brightness, and 800:1 contrast ratio.

If you can afford not having your monitor for a while, try to get it replaced (if you can return it, do so, and order a new one again - don't exchange it, as the return day limit won't restart).
    If you have the same issue, well you know it's the display, if it's fixed well it's fixed.

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

my monitors vary to be honest with the dell being the best of the bunch and an acer 120htz being the worst (mainly because of required brightness)

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Backlight bleed can be at any corner and not necessarily all of them.

Personally I'd be returning that if it's bleeding at low brightness levels.

memeroot - Why does a 120Hz need more backlight? There's no reason.

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not for the 120Hz, but for 3D Vision they need higher brightness levels because the Nvidia glasses darken the image on the screen quite bit.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Even so you'd just have to turn it up rather than have moar backlights, surely?

Either way, 3D with glasses is totally beyond my desire.

17. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Judging by your avatar, looks like you already have them :p