1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What's happening to PC Games? :O

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AndyGoldie, 19 May 2010.

1. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

[​IMG]

Why are some of the most popular games going down by around 50% price?

I also find it funny how MW2 barely went down on price even though it's on of the lowest rated PC games.

I would give an opinion on this but I don't have one, I have no idea what's going on :eyebrow:

2. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

Whats going on is people are playing the games on console, consoles do not need to be upgraded to play the latest games unlike PC's

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

PC games get cheaper quicker than console games, it's always been that way. Now, conventional retailers also have competition from DD services like Steam so they may have to lower prices even more to attract sales.

Besides, I know MW2 did, but I don't think Bioshock 2 or Metro 2033 had RRPs of £39.99.

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Awesome isn't it.

I buy brand new games sometimes for less than £20, or just wait a few weeks until they're really good value (bought SC:Conviction the other day for £18, pre-ordered AvP for £18, bought AC2 for £22).

:thumb:

Only recent games that have remained really high-priced (that I can think of on the top of my head) are COD:MW and MW2.

MW was still >£20 most places until MW2 came about.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's good for us consumers and hopefully the sales figure can be fed back to the publishers and developers making them think PC gaming also sells well.

it's really a shame MW2 is still so high. it's not a very PC originated game.

6. AndyGoldie

AndyGoldie 60Hz for Streets, 144Hz for Sheets

If you look @ the screenshot it says that Bioshock 2 and Metro had RRPs of £39.99, which is another thing which made me surprised as thats more than 50% off.

I have to admit I really like the prices I'm seeing and it makes me wanna go buy more games (even though right now I can't afford it really haha) but it kinda makes me thing that if game companies are going this way will eventually the games stop coming into production for PC as they will keep sales higher for consoles.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Only reason I can come up with is there are licence agreements to releasing games on a console. Where as no one owns PC technology. Anyone can make stuff for PC. But I might be wrong. Probably I am wrong. But I'm buggered if I will spend 2hours on Google finding out. :rolleyes:

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Indeed it is! :thumb:

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah that's what made me curious. I thought they had the normal PC game RRP of £29.99.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I don't think I've ever seen a game at it's 'recommended' retail price. I bet they just stick them at £40 to let the uninitiated think they've grabbed a bargian at 30% off RRP! (or something like that)

11. juststsomeguy26

juststsomeguy26 What's a Dremel?

Traditional Pc gaming as a while is declining, as is all serious gaming with the rise of the casuals , Wii and facebook games

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

About the price of mw2, it was the same with mw it kept its high price for ages.

Which is why I don't own either of them, i'm not going to be screwed with prices that Activision/Infinityward pull out of a hat.

Also l4d was really expensive for a long time probably because of hype and popularity, but l4d2 dropped in price quite quickly.

Tempted by bioshock 2 now its cheap, but im not sure.....despite the avatar ! ( the hd trailer was great )

13. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

They're having a fire sale. Nobody's buying and they're trying to clear or move inventory. The publishers are charging retail prices for the games, their profits are being cut because the games aren't moving. This isn't going to make them think that the PC selling well, just the opposite!

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

It really is surprising you haven't been banned already for being a perfect combination of petrol + lighter. When you make bangs you make big bangs with lots of flame soon to follow :thumb:

Redsnake77 likes this.
  15. mckoneds

mckoneds What's a Dremel?

Overall console gaming is much more popular than PC gaming, so PC games need to be cheaper in order to compete. It also helps to offset the high cost of PC hardware.

16. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Those things on Facebook are not games...they are pastimes...

17. juststsomeguy26

I wouldn't call things like Wii fit or brain training games either. They still top sales charts though. Just like farmville has 72 million user to WoW's 12 mill.
    Its painfull for e to accept but htats the way the PC market is going.

18. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I am not a fan of things like Farmville, but respect how successful it is. I don't think it will really affect the PC gaming market as I believe that it caters for a different type of person. Most people who you find playing Farmville would not go near things like Half Life, WoW etc and vice versa perhaps.
    I would not expect the big game producers out there to quit developing cracking looking fps's and the like to just bash out simple web based point and clickers....
    Seems to me more and more people are using a PC to be entertained.

19. juststsomeguy26

The decline in the PC market is a fact, if you look at the figures its 500 mill a year industry in the us as opposed to previously being billions.

What i thinks to blame is that what is now being called the casual gamer market were previously mid range PC gamers. People whi had PC's for non-game related purposes and picked up the occasional 6~18 month old title.
    Those games may not have been selling at a high price point but if you look at the size of the current casual market the volume was significant.
    Now if those people can play free facebook games, they dont need to bother with the traditional games. As they weren't interested in getting the best of the best, just a timekiller.

20. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Please state fact, not opinion.

Also ur fat.

October and pimonserry like this.