1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I saw an interesting theory the other day about how the bad guy from each film is at the back/in the background of the film poster and luke is at the back for the last jedi, so he'll actually turn out to be the bad guy.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I kinda just reinstalled my mac os because it was going slow and forgot to backup my code folder which contained my latest project which has funding behind it and 100s of hours of pure work and coding… that mistake probably just put the launch date back a further 2 months…

edit, backed it up a week ago so i could do some code editing in college.... all is not lost.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2017
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I see from your edit that you have backups, but if you're manually backing up You're Doing It Wrong. Grab yersen a NAS or small server, set it up to stream changes automatically. If my desktop dies, the only data I could possibly lose is the exact file I currently have open - and even then only the changes that I've made since the last save.

In fact, the latest Custom PC magazine has a guide for doing exactly that with Syncthing, a Raspberry Pi, and a USB hard drive. <plug-plug!>

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I'd be pretty pissed if I put odd socks on this morning, too.

Gunsmith, David, MLyons and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Purple socks WTF.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

At least you got a lovely new laptop out of it.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, I have to actually get *paid* first... (Shouldn't be too long to wait - I'm paid weekly in arrears, so I should get my first shot of loverly lucre early next week.)

MLyons likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This job, I've had enough.

It's not the job itself or the people I work with: the people are pretty cool (on the whole, there's always a few kn**heads); I'm working with some really interesting tech and doing agile DevOps-y engineer-type stuff that I've never done before. But this f'ing company has it's head up its a**e when it comes to managing projects. I'm being pulled in different directions by each workstream I'm on, and not one of them has any idea that their goals (when they actually bother to elicit them) totally conflict with every other workstream. I have people expecting me to have delivered work that I didn't even know I was supposed to be responsible for - work that I didn't even know existed in the first place! On top of that, I was hired as a SQL Server guy and I've not written a single piece of SQL Server code in three months!

And then there's the turnover. Since I started in July, two people on my team (of 5, including me) have either left or handed in their resignation. A different (albeit related) team of 7 people in another area is pretty much gone: the last remaining person handed in their notice some time last week; one of them handed in their resignation before finding another job. Between signing my contract in late May and starting the job in July, the guy I was supposed to be reporting in to had worked out his notice and left.

Just WTF is going on?!

As I'm still on probation my notice period is basically non-existent. So.... I'm done. I'm out. Back on the job sites.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I swear i remember you posting about this a little while ago.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Probably. I was getting weird vibes from this place after about a week. I started thinking about looking for another job about a month ago, but I soon realised that I was probably being a bit premature: the work was (and still is) interesting and I realised I probably wasn't really giving it a chance. Everywhere has its frustrations, office politics, obstinate muppets, asinine policies, etc, so I realised that I would probably just be trading one set of crap at this place for a different yet equally smelly set of crap somewhere else.

A meeting I had on Monday morning completely changed my opinion, but the straw that really broke this camel's back was when one of our most experienced people on the team handed in his notice today.

Nope. Not even going to give them the benefit of the doubt any more - I'm done, I'm out. Preferably I want a contract role but I really want to be gone before my probation is up at the end of December.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

And yet another email that amounted to:

You're perfect for the job... we're not going to give it to you, but you were perfect for it...

...clearly ****ing not.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Got sent a job vacancy today that is exactly what I've been looking for. Go to have a look and see what the company is about and there's headline after headline of crisis this, warning that, 2/3's of the company's market value wiped out in 6 months. I can not afford to take a financial risk on a job, not so shortly after buying a house and with the prospect of my partner taking a large paycut next year to join the police

But, it is exactly what I've been looking for and maybe this is actually a good time to get in? Although from what I've read it's a particular division that's causing the issues and in such a massive group with many companies under its umbrella and this role being a central shared services job, it wouldn't really be at risk. I don't know. I'm confused.

MLyons likes this.
  15. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Wait, you're doing commercial work and don't have automated backup? Better hope they don't read bit-tech...

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You obviously aren't the recruiter's neighbour's son's cute teenage girlfriend...

On topic:-

About to start day 2 of a 3 day course at work on "Design for Manufacture & Assembly".
    The problem is the lecturer. His first 5 powerpoint slides were about his qualifications & status with BSI. :eyebrow:
    But he slurs his words, trails off into silence, and spends more time talking to the screen instead of the attendees. :duh:
    The only way I've been able to follow him this far, is that he's mostly just reading each slide... TWICE! :wallbash:

Worse (for me & 1 other guy) is that the expensively catered lunch is inedible, because the person booking it didn't bother to ask about food allergies. :grr:

Today, I'm taking a self-inflating camping pillow with me, and my tablet full of ebooks... :naughty:

17. MLyons

Not here :happy:

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You're making me jelly. Who's the hiring manager? Does bit allow remote workers? :)

19. Gareth Halfacree

Speaking as someone who has literally never set foot inside the office - not when it was an indie site, not when it was owned by Dennis, and not now it's owned by The Media Team - it does indeed. Well, for editorial stuff, anyway.

MLyons likes this.
  20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Snap im in need of some new employment,

reminds me I need to do that passive thingy for you Dogedev