1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Not life ruining by any measure, but a disappointment nonetheless...

OCUK emailed to say the £140 Sapphire Nitro+ 470 8GB I ordered wasn't actually in stock, so now gotta go through the process of refunding me. Shame, boss gave me full permission to install it in my work PC and mine away while I was earning my normal salary... Half tempted to order something else to make use of the offer of free electricity, but nothing on the market would have paid for itself as quickly as that would have.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I know the pain on the Mr Tad. My thrust position sensor lost its marbles when I hit a pothole an the car refused to start. They sent a stupid beaver tail for a 2.1 tonne car. Oddly enough it didnt work.

Anyway, today I had enough of work, handed in my notice no job to go to so I have four weeks to find something.
    Immediately pulled into a meeting to discuss why, explained why they said they would "fix it" to keep me but they cant fix the total lack of knowledge retention. 1st line staff leave as quick as they are trained, they are making basic IT errors, they physically dont know how to say no either, the icing on the cake is my new manager, he started with the team at the beginning of December, and as yet has made no effort to introduce himself to us. Even my meeting today was with another manager. They offered me a very small pay rise but it was not enough to actually make any real difference.

So job hunting has begun.

MLyons likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Remember that Bitcoin miner that I sold on FleaBay, and the guy pulled out 'cos he thought you could mine Ethereum on it? Well, the winning bidder of the relisted auction - which finished £126 lower - has failed to pay, too.

I give up. The bloody thing can go back to sitting in the corner.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

Yesterday an Amazon charge shows up on my partners card under ‘Amazon Cloud’ or some crap, so we phone amazon, get put through to the fraud time after 30 minutes get told to wait for a email, receive the email this morning telling us to phone them, after clearly explaining everything the lady goes through everything again taking another 30 minutes instead of putting us through to the people we asked to speak to in the first place. Then she puts us through to a supervisor which magically finds the charge however it’s linked to a completely different amazon account so because data protection they can’t give out any information. We made it clear that under no circumstances should this card be anyone else's account and it’s basically fraud and they said they wouldn’t remove it, and they weren’t going to do anything.

Time to phone the banks fraud department. ugh

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That is all I had over Christmas G. Seriously.... I had a RC car bundle up for £250 (one kit of one car is worth £220 !) and all I got was "I only want X car". IE - "Your price is so low that if you split I will get the one of my choosing for next to nothing". I had bike parts up, sold them on a FB group but everything else went unsold. It was just a nightmare. People refusing to pay, people barking orders at me about how the deal would go down, non showers, messers ETC.

Ebay should make it a rule that as soon as the auction ends and the winning bidder has won that payment should be taken automatically. That would soon stop the NPB.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Oh yeah, what has annoyed me today.

About two weeks before Christmas I bought myself a shiny brand new Porsche 9982 phone. Love it.. I decided not to be greedy and put my old phone (Oppo Find 7a, fully boxed, fantastic condition) up for sale for what CEX pay for them in cash. IE - the absolute bottom dollar. It sold, but to a guy who is known to low ball on the forum it sold on. IE - "I will give you £10 for a 1080Ti cooler that will sell for £50 on Ebay" and so on. He low balls pretty much every sale thread, meaning he's making his living off the backs of others. So when he said he wanted it I was a little apprehensive. Any way, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and even went to the lengths of finding the original headphones (brand new, and £40 on their own from Oppo) and even a free case. I did not tell him about either of these.

Sent it. About three weeks later he replies and thanks me for the phone. That was about 11 days ago.

Today he pms me with the "It's got a small scratch on the screen" game. A game for which I am really not in the mood for. So I've told him where to go.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We got a wireless door bell which has just rung for the first time I answered the landline phone instead, not once but twice. Old age is so confusing.:grin::grin::grin::grin:

TheMadDutchDude, MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.
  8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Wife is ill, in more ways than one. Turns out she doesn't have Carpal Tunnel, and the physiotherapist recommends that she takes more time off of work, at least until they get the results back from the various tests she's just had, because they have no idea what's wrong with her. We suspect early onset Arthritis, but anything is possible at this point. She went to the Doctor earlier today, Diagnosed her with Depression, which we both knew she is, but it hit a bit hard that a Doctor thinks so as well.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I hear you. We've had ours for a few years. It stopped working so thought it was the battery in the button. Replace that and it rang.

Then it stopped. Took the plugged in bell out of the wall, back in and nothing. Several days later it rang of its own volition. Then it rang when pressing the button. Now it's not working.

No frickin idea. May just buy another. :/

10. Vault-Tec

Dude, don't get me started on doorbells !!! in Fallout 4 when you enter the metro tunnels or the airport there is this "ding dong" sound going on in the background. It sounds *exactly* the same as my doorbell. I won't even get into how many times I went and opened the front door. Listen out for it, and laugh at me whilst you're at it.

I lost the manual too, so I don't know how to change the sound hahaha. I also get "phantom doorbells" when I am sleeping sometimes. I hear it, jump up, throw on my dressing gown and get to the front door only to find no one there. Best one was a 4am one. Though I suspect that latter part is me simply losing my marbles. I've noticed a lot of things are going to pot since I hit 40.

TheMadDutchDude and adidan like this.
  11. adidan

* raises hand *

Yeah, done the exact same thing like a numptee

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

iBuygou still hasn't shipped my phone and their customer service is taking its sweet time to respond to me asking why.
    I can somewhat tolerate shitty service given they had by far the cheapest price, but still... a bit irritating. And I'm also a bit surprised because a lot of people highly recommended the store.

In the meantime my current phone is quite literally falling apart. I have to be very careful putting it in my pocket as the slightest pressure in the wrong spot somehow disrupts the display (and digitizer) connector, rendering it unusable until I've restored the connection by randomly putting pressure on the screen. A few days ago it took about 15 minutes of prodding to fix, so I hope I don't encounter an emergency before the new Xiaomi I ordered arrives.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018
  13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

http://steelsticks64.com/

Out of stock.

http://retrofighters.com/

Mine isn't coming until March.
    [​IMG]

Hacked together an actually quite sharp stick from an aftermarket bowl/wheels/stick but using the Nintendo casing/board/sensors. But I want my mother effing Steel Stick, Starfox does not play itself damnit!

14. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I saw those recently and Knew they'd be a headache to ever get one. I'm glad that as a Gamecube fan, thumbsticks are easily replaceable and Aluminium sticks work damn well with Notch mods. Nothing like an Original N64 control to play Mario 64 or Majora's Mask though.

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Dealing with stupid people to try and push through a passion project of my own. It's getting increasingly difficult not to do a table-flip and just ragequit.

TheMadDutchDude and MLyons like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I solved this problem by building my own from a Spark Core (now Particle... something. Photon?) microcontroller. When someone presses the button (co-opted from the original bell) it, in chronological order: flashes a bunch of LEDs connected to my monitor, pauses any music I'm playing on the desktop, sends me an If This Then That alert which buzzes my phone and watch wherever I am in the world (which is actually a bit annoying when you're at the shop and your watch cheerily pops up "hey, that delivery you were waiting for? You just missed it"), and finally triggers a small buzzer or, optionally, the original bell box from the old doorbell.

Overengineered? You betcha!

TheMadDutchDude and MLyons like this.
  17. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I expect nothing less from you, Gareth! :D

MLyons likes this.
  18. adidan

Impressively involved.

I've considered a similar solution. A handbell from a campanologist surplus store attached to a rope that, when pulled, triggers the waving of a flag infront of the upstairs window. That to and fro flag motion also results in the wooden pole of the flag passing over a wooden peg that is attached, and passes throught the wall. In turn, this has a large enough arc to catch a vertical pole which moves back and forth slapping me in the face with a wet kipper.

But how do you keep the kipper wet? Ah, this is doorbell 2.0 and comes with water cooling so it returns to tanks when not in active motion.

Yeah, more low tech than yours G but I'm also not awaiting a patch or BIOS for it. :)

MLyons likes this.
  19. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

iBuygou's customer service got back to me and told me the phone was sold out, so I can either get a refund or wait till the end of the month when they get new stock.
    ****. If it wasn't for the fact my current phone is giving up the ghost I would have just waited, since iBuygou's price and warranty (EU repair center) are the best deal I could find, but now I'll have to look somewhere else. And even then, should I order from China, it'll probably be here only a few days quicker than if had waited. And most of the nice holiday discounts are gone already. :grr:

20. Vault-Tec

I thought some kids were playing knock down ginger or something. So I ended up unplugging the doorbells. That was when the penny dropped hahaha.