Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

I hate all-weather tyres. I need to get a proper set for each half of the year.

Sliding around corners in my truck is fun, though. As is blipping the throttle and making the back end jump out of line. :D

I just hate the cold and taking the snow off of my car.

And this... this just annoys me. :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/QzVgu

2. Byron C

Byron C Somewhere between the sacred silence and sleep

Some f'king... sh'tstain driving a penis extension BMW M-something-or-other almost caused a very serious and likely very fatal accident earlier.

I'm coming round a corner at a traffic-light controlled junction which leads from a single filter lane to a 50mph dual carriageway. I know there's a car behind me because I saw him approach the junction in my mirrors; I check over my right shoulder mid-turn - just to double-check there's nothing in the right-hand lane before I finish turning (there shouldn't be because it's the start of the dual carriageway and all the other lights at the junction are red) - and great, there's nothing there. Get round the corner and before I move all the way back into the right-hand lane I double-check the right mirror - except now there's a BMW grille filling my mirror and when I glance back I realise he's only a few feet off my back wheel. He's getting closer and closer and moving further and further to the right of the lane to try and squeeze me out. I accelerate a bit to try and open up a gap between me and f'kface, but he's matching my speed so he's still dangerously close to my back wheel. The only way I could get out of the way was to undercut a van and let other traffic in the left-hand lane prevent him from doing the same.

He caught up with me at traffic lights and as he had his passenger window open I asked (read: yelled) just what the hell he thought he was playing at, whether he was actually trying to get me killed or whether he was just too stupid to realise what he was doing. He just looked at me blank-faced and shrugged; like it was no big deal that he'd nearly hit me; like it's no big deal if I crash at 50/60mph. (Trust me, he heard me - I practically had my head through his open window.)

I see plenty of stupid sh't every single day I'm on the road, as a biker you're trained to expect and anticipate it because you're a vulnerable road user. But this is the only time that someone has deliberately put me in a situation that was life-threatening - there was no question that this sh'trag could see me: he was behind me at the junction and he came round the corner behind me, this was not a "sorry mate I didn't see you" situation. I'm still angry about it now. If he'd knocked me off then the very next thing that would happen is that he would have run over me, he would not have had time to even register what was going on before I'm bouncing off his bumper and going under his wheels; if the crash didn't kill me then being run over certainly would finish me off. If you want to drive it like you stole it then book a track day FFS. Cardiff city centre roads are not the f'king Nürburgring or Silverstone FFS. You're not just putting your own life at risk, you are endangering every other person on the road (as well as pedestrians and by-standers) who is unfortunate enough to be near you.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 isnt really an ultramodder...

I ****ed up royally.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Companies saying they owe you a certain amount of money, then when they are processing it they decide actually we only owe you a quarter of what we first said because you had money from us last year, as a part of seperate thing.

Good bye graphics card upgrade this month, will have to save some money each month but on the plus side seeing as apparently nVidia have made the 1080Ti's end of line the new cards should be out by the time I have saved up enough.

5. adidan

adidan Avatar is back out of season.

Crap, that sounds ominous.

Redemption can be found even after the royalist of **** ups though.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bit of background first for this to make sense.

I's a second line analyst on an IT desk, we have 14 people on the team, two are long term sick and two have left recently, so basically just 10 people on our team.

1st line are also loosing staff though at a far more rapid rate.

Companies solution, stick the second line analysts all on the phones to take 1st line calls, not only is it derogatory but I don't have the rights for pretty much anything they use (mainly bespoke apps we don't support) we have several ongoing time sensitive projects which are all going out the window.

So Monday I'll be expected to take calls from randoms calling in, receive transfer calls from 1st line for "complex tickets" like a profile reset, manage two active projects of which one has just massively broken and will need a lot of hand holding over the next few days (cross domain LDAP function which regularly needs a slap to keep it working) Oh and offer support to anyone who comes over to me for help. Currently on hold to HR as my manager sent the email and went home.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Workload capacity is one thing, as is access, both legitimate issues to raise. But IMHO, don't play a "this is below me" card, I don't think there's any scenario where that ends well.

Byron C and MLyons like this.
  8. legoman

Yeah im not playing the below me card as that is asking for trouble. They have worded the contract so we would be expected to basically fill gaps, from what I gather bulk of the team are downing tools, I cant exactly blame them but the wording in our contract basically says, they can do this.
    I sent out a mail to the project leaders apologising that for the foreseeable future I will be unable to assist with their projects. See how that one goes down Monday.

9. Mister_Tad

Yeah, fact of the workplace unfortunately, doesn't make it any less of a bummer though! I know the sentiment well, when you're dealing with idiots on the phone thinking "the reason I moved on from first line is so that I don't have to deal with idiots like you".

I used to be a storage/backup admin, and occasionally that meant filling a hole for user restores for the desk. You can only imagine the pain, and that it was somehow my fault that their file "just disappeared" and they have a deadline, or my problem that we're not backing up their laptop... when it's offline, or what do you mean we can't restore your file that you created today and worked on all day and fat-fingeredly deleted because backups are nightly, or can't find the file that you can't remember where you saved it or if you saved it or what you called it or what it was? I PAY YOUR WAGES, DO YOU HEAR ME!?

Sorry... flashbacks.

MLyons likes this.
  10. legoman

Those flashbacks are what I get to deal with, company that insists roaming profiles are a good thing as is offline file sync... Yeah doesn't work very well profile starts not writing back and the file sync stops working then some bright spark on first line resets the locally stored profile on the laptop. Then they wonder why I cant magic their files back for them. Oh an the 12gb PST file as well.

11. Mister_Tad

Don't forget the 25GB of movies in a folder on their desktop!

12. legoman

Oh and the full hard disk error from installing itunes and syncing the iPhone then wondering why their hard disk was full.

13. Byron C

Byron C Somewhere between the sacred silence and sleep

Tomorrow I am gonna get wet, very wet.

[​IMG]

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I wish this winter would feck off already tbh. I want to ride my bloody bikes so bad. Went out to Tesco down the road today and analysed the weather.. Too sodding cold and far too much cold wind. HARUMPH.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

gp: good luck getting seen any time soon, go to a walk-in centre
    chemist: go to walk-in centre...

walk-in centre: you won't get seen any time soon, go talk to your GP

meh, being able to hear is overrated.

MLyons likes this.
  16. MLyons

MLyons Half doge/ half dev Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Corky42 likes this.
  17. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

18. adidan

adidan Avatar is back out of season.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Coming off of Venlaflaxine cold turkey..

I've mentioned over the past few months how I really didn't like them. Well, I found out that I had taken them before with the same almost catastrophic results. I didn't realise they were Effexor because I stopped reading about them before I took them. Any way, my psych has cancelled my last two appointments. The first one (first week of Jan) I kept quiet. Second one (about two weeks ago) I told the lady at the mental health centre what was going on and how I felt suicidal and really needed to come off of them. This was on a Friday, she called me to cancel my appointment. "We will call you back first thing Monday and get another locum to talk to you so you can wean yourself off etc etc". All the right moves. Unfortunately no one did call, and in desperation I just stopped taking them dead about three days ago. JFC the withdrawal ! I was just so sick of being confused all of the time and my brain stunted to the point where sometimes I would just stop for about ten seconds with a blank brain. Any way, I phoned them yesterday and explained what had happened and she got pissed off at me for daring to criticise (you can't beat narcissists running a mental health care centre !) and I just totally lost it, screamed down the phone and her and then punched the walls. A lot. I think I've broken a finger on my left hand.

By this time I was crying and had lost my voice, so I phoned my mother and asked her to phone them. About an hour later my psych called me (funny he wasn't supposed to be there !) and has prescribed me my knockout meds (Risperidone, Diazepam etc). So for the next two weeks I am on shut down. I need it. The brain zaps are the worst part. Every time I move my head it's like an electric shock in my brain and it's so bad I can actually hear it. I've not had this since I came off Zoloft about ten years ago. It's bloody awful.

20. MLyons

MLyons Half doge/ half dev Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It was handed down to me from a previous employee and I haven't found the time to clean it.

Tell me about it. It's a nightmare getting everything back ob right.

adidan likes this.