1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got to love management and sales...

2. MLyons

It's pretty much confirmed my car is completely done. Most likely a crankshaft bearing based on what we can hear and the situation. Means I somehow need to make it last until I get my 1 year no claims then find the money to get a new car unless for some reason the repair is cheap. Don't suppose anyone on here is a mechanic in the Hertfordshire area or works for an insurance company. :lol:

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees Nebuchadnezzar's fixit man.

I think I should go and hide in a cave, before Saturday's wedding and not come out again until the day after the World Cup final. All the wedding fuss will have died down by then and I'll completely miss the fartball. :naughty::naughty:

Arboreal likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I am neither - But there's no cheap way to fix that. Engine swap or car swap. If NCB is a concern, then get something either exactly the same or very similar and take the hit on the admin fee to change the car. Assuming your insurance will do that - But that's a question for them.

5. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

it's a lot of work but a crankshaft bearing can be replaced. We had my brothers 180SX crankshaft bearing replaced for about 400 quid labour. Keep ringing around local mechanics.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

How far is your commute? Grab a cheap bike and save yourself a chunk of cash for the summer months to put down on a new one when the weather turns crap again?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Caught in an argument with some tit on Twitter who claims the EU bans bendy bananas from sale (rather than sets out grading standards for bananas - Extra Grade perfect ones, Grade 1 somewhat imperfect ones, and Grade 2 all the others - to ensure everyone knows what they're getting). I don't even know why, I don't give a toss, but the fact that he's face-to-face with the actual legislation and still claiming it says things it doesn't ("it bans bendy bananas from human consumption, they can only be used for industrial purposes" - "human" doesn't appear in the regulation at all, and "consumption" only appears in respect to "produce affected by rotting or deterioration") and that you can be prosecuted for selling bendy bananas (you can't, but you can be prosecuted for selling Grade 2 bananas as Extra Grade - which would be illegal under UK law as false advertising and/or fraud, too, though much harder to prosecute if the EU hadn't helpfully provided a grading system for bananas.)

...and breathe.

EDIT:
    He went away after I asked him to quote the regulation to back up his argument, and he couldn't. He still believes the EU bans bendy bananas, though. I mean, I used to think these people were just misinformed - easily done, you read the Daily Heil and it tells you the EU bans bendy bananas, what are you going to do, read the actual legislation to see if your favourite newspaper has decided to lie to you? - but now I'm more thinking that they are literally lying to themselves to offer an excuse for being colossal wangs.

Last edited: 16 May 2018 at 15:06
    IanW and MLyons like this.
  8. MLyons

12 miles. It's not happening.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My new business plan involves industrial quantities of tinfoil, and the services of a milliner...

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There was a rule, but that only mentioned 'abnormal curvature' as you said...

But, partly because of gammon-faced twirps like your random twitterer, they clarified the oft-mocked regs in 2011, and again in 2013...

But it's such a common topic of argument the european parliament has a page dedicated to it... [this is more for your reference/satisfaction than to sway the angry gammon].

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, but - and this is key - the regulation has always allowed for bananas of abnormal curvature to be sold, just as Grade 1/2 (depending on just how abnormal said curvature is) rather than Extra Grade. It was never a ban. Ever. All the regulations ever said, to paraphrase, was "if you want to sell your bananas as Extra Grade perfect bananas, they should look like perfect bananas - which means being banana-shaped, hereby defined as the following [...] if your banana isn't perfectly banana-shape, it's a Grade 1 or Grade 2, and you're free to carry on doing whatever you want with them so long as you're not telling people they're Extra Grade perfect bananas 'cos they're not."

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

Currently ruining... toothache.

Had a tooth filled a little while ago and I am not convinced that it was done as well as it could have been. Food gets trapped between it and the one in front and whilst there is enough gap to allow that to happen, the space is almost too tight to get anything like floss or interdental brushes in there to clean it. Now I have a constant bad ache stemming from the tooth in front of the filled one. Booked in at the gob doctor's tomorrow afternoon. Until then it's medicated mouthwash and pain killers.

13. RedFlames

Sorry, yes... you are correct... nowhere does it say they can't be sold... just that they can't be sold as those grades of banana... I was merely intending to highlight the regulation that often gets misquoted [by misquoting it :/ ].

It'd be like saying the EU had banned scottish prawns for being too big... no... prawns simply have clearly defined size bands... all it means is you can't sell them as '26/30' prawns if they are in fact, say a '16/18'

14. MLyons

Car is completely done. Needs a new engine. So hopefully I can get a new car without affecting my no claims or get someone to replace the engine. Fun times.

15. RedFlames

What car is/was it?

16. MLyons

2002 Toyota Corolla Hatchback T3 1.4 VVT-i

17. MLyons

Current choice is replace the engine for "800ish or buy a Ford KA :sigh: for £300 then an insurance charge of £360

18. RedFlames

...you can buy a whole corolla for that

19. MLyons

Indeed you can. But doing that means the mugs that insure me will still charge me again. Doing an engine swap doesn't involve them.

20. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

***Queues Fast and Furious Supra Build Montage***

MLyons likes this.